Let's just stop for a minute and THINK

cheekymonkey

On a Break
Being a new dad really makes you think about the state of the world we live in today. I am often thinking about what type of society my little boys will grow into.

I really hope for their sake they grow into a safe and peaceful world where everyone takes care and looks out for each other.

I'm sick of these wars. I'm sick of these perverts walking our streets and I'm sick of these hooligans with knives stabbing each other like crazed psychos.

IT'S ALL GOT TO STOP.

I don't know how a lot of you guys feel over the other side of the pond, but it's getting to a point where you really, really can't walk out late at night anymore for fear of being attacked by some fucking weirdo.

I love this planet and all who live here, but we all need to stick together, help each other and above all, love each other.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

it's getting to a point where you really, really can't walk out late at night anymore for fear of being attacked by some fucking weirdo.

I don't believe it is all that dangerous to walk at night. I think the reason most people think it is is because of the media. I have a quick glance at the news each morning for Northern Ireland and every day it's the same shit about paramilitary organizations, rapes, murders and racist crimes. There is never any good news and I think it's simply because bad news sells better...

Because the media only ever publishes bad news it gives people an unrealistic view of our society.

Being a new dad really makes you think about the state of the world we live in today. I am often thinking about what type of society my little boys will grow into.

I really hope for their sake they grow into a safe and peaceful world where everyone takes care and looks out for each other.

I'm sick of these wars. I'm sick of these perverts walking our streets and I'm sick of these hooligans with knives stabbing each other like crazed psychos.

IT'S ALL GOT TO STOP.

I don't know how a lot of you guys feel over the other side of the pond, but it's getting to a point where you really, really can't walk out late at night anymore for fear of being attacked by some fucking weirdo.

I love this planet and all who live here, but we all need to stick together, help each other and above all, love each other.

...cheeky , you know i have twin daughters also, thank god mine are 22 and im way past changing those diapers , maybe grandkids soon to do that for:eek: its all in how you raise them, whats that saying "it takes a village to raise a child". some parents just dont care what their children do and it is sad,all you can do is bring your boys up to be strong, self respecting young men and with love of life in their heart and you can then say, ive done my duty as a good parent.they dont send instructions with them when we bring them home from the hospital, so we must go on our gut feelings...youll be a great dad with good kids, i just know it and who knows, its the next generation that may bring world peace as we have never known it:thumbsup:...........laurie

I agree its all in how you raise your kids, but....there comes a point in time that no matter how well you raise them, they make their own choices.
I've seen kids who have been raised by the best parents one could ask for, but once they hit a certain age and walk out that door at night, they make their own choices. Some to the good, some to the bad.
As for being safe walking the streets at night. The places are few and far between where that can happen anymore. I live in a small city where at one time I could walk out the door and leave it open without thinking twice.
Now, I lock it in broad daylight sad to say. Crime has increased dramatically here because of two factors: 1. drugs, 2. Gambling. Cripes, they are even attempting to rob the banks at noontime!
I walked to the store one night and won't ever do that again. Out of the blue, a young guy of about 18 threw a beer mug at my head. Had I of turned around when he was calling out for me to stop, I would of gotten that thing in the face.
Bottom line is, I truly appreciate the kids who maintain common curtesy and respect in todays society.

Increasing crime and anti-social behaviour seems to be an international phenomenon, and whilst I agree that parents have a key role to play in bringing up their kids with a decent set of values, it seems to me that this is almost immediately undermined by modern factors such as:

1) A culture in both media and daily entertainment that at times seems to glorify bad and even criminal behaviour.

2) Extremely violent entertainment (for example video games) that in the most graphic and bloody detail encourage violence at the expense of an appreciation of the value of life.

3) The drug problem that makes humans turn into animals in search of money for their habit.

4) In many societies the apparent inability of police to maintain a visible and effective presence, a lack of respect for the law and a failure of the courts to mete out appropriate punishment that deters offenders.

5) Peer pressure in the schools, and a serious reduction in the authority of teachers and moderate corporal punishment to keep order in the classroom.

6) Poor role models - for example entertainers who disgrace themselves in a diversity of ways that are remarkable only in the depths to which many of these folks sink; sports stars who have forgotten what sportsmanship is all about; business people who have lost track of ethical behaviour and personal integrity and politicians who are venal and corrupt. In short role models who don't take that responsibility as a corollary of fame and fortune.

...cheeky , you know i have twin daughters also, thank god mine are 22 and im way past changing those diapers , maybe grandkids soon to do that for:eek: its all in how you raise them, whats that saying "it takes a village to raise a child". some parents just dont care what their children do and it is sad,all you can do is bring your boys up to be strong, self respecting young men and with love of life in their heart and you can then say, ive done my duty as a good parent.they dont send instructions with them when we bring them home from the hospital, so we must go on our gut feelings...youll be a great dad with good kids, i just know it and who knows, its the next generation that may bring world peace as we have never known it:thumbsup:...........laurie

Twins as well!! How wonderful for you! :D:D

I am very lucky to have such a wonderful partner as the mother of my children. She has very traditional views on life and will raise the boys just as well as any other good parents. I will join her, with her traditional beliefs. We are both still so exicted to have been given this wonderful experience. Words really cannot describe how a parent feels, (unless you are a parent yourself) seeing your children mature into little people right in front of your eyes.

Let's hope they grow up into a safer world. :)

That's the reason I got my CCW's. It's a license to carry and conceal a firearm. I had a guy approach me while I was getting out of my car, in October in downtown Cincinnati, it was late around 11 PM. I drive a 07 Mustang Saline, the guy said "Give me that 'Stang" I was confused at first and thought he was giving me a complement. Well, he then said" MFer I said give me that 'Stang." and he started to charge me. I opened my sportscoat and gripped my Glock 17, that was in my hip holster.

The guy didn't say a word and took off running, I don't know if the guy would have hurt me had I not been armed, but I'm sure glad I was.

I called the police and they took a report, the cop told me that they would probably not catch the guy.

My point is this, law enforcment does not work by itself. It needs socities help, in all matters. Whether that's watching over your nieghbors property, or helping someone in distress.

Now my wife and father also have thier CCW's. I won't leave the house unarmed. Not even to go tothe convience store. My beloved Cincinnati, was Americas most livable city just 5 years ago. Now, it's a cesspool. We have at least two murders a day, hell last night we had a triple shooting and a young girl was set on fire.

IT HAS TO STOP!!!

That's the reason I got my CCW's. It's a license to carry and conceal a firearm. I had a guy approach me while I was getting out of my car, in October in downtown Cincinnati, it was late around 11 PM. I drive a 07 Mustang Saline, the guy said "Give me that 'Stang" I was confused at first and thought he was giving me a complement. Well, he then said" MFer I said give me that 'Stang." and he started to charge me. I opened my sportscoat and gripped my Glock 17, that was in my hip holster.

The guy didn't say a word and took off running, I don't know if the guy would have hurt me had I not been armed, but I'm sure glad I was.

I called the police and they took a report, the cop told me that they would probably not catch the guy.

My point is this, law enforcment does not work by itself. It needs socities help, in all matters. Whether that's watching over your nieghbors property, or helping someone in distress.

Now my wife and father also have thier CCW's. I won't leave the house unarmed. Not even to go tothe convience store. My beloved Cincinnati, was Americas most livable city just 5 years ago. Now, it's a cesspool. We have at least two murders a day, hell last night we had a triple shooting and a young girl was set on fire.

IT HAS TO STOP!!!

That's awful dd and I really don't blame you for carrying a weapon although what would of happened if you would have shot that guy? Would you be arrested for murder or manslaughter or does self defense take a priority over that in Cincinnati??

I often think to myself that I would like to keep a gun at home to protect my family, but I am not sure if that is the way forward. I mean, everyone walking around with guns and that. However saying that, we are only here once (allegedly ;) ) and we have an inbuilt instinct to survive, so maybe it really is only natural to defend yourself whichever way you can.

The idea that everyone is responsible enough to carry a firearm and use it wisely, and with restraint, sobriety and legitimacy is a tempting one, but I fear that not everyone falls into that category - and that worries me.

For example, I've read about and even seen cases of road rage and other incidents not worth a life, where things are blown out of all proportion and guns waved about and even used.

So possession of an implement that can take something as important as another's life should be accompanied by mandatory training in its use and the laws surrounding it.

Most police forces have stringent restrictions on the use of firearms, and there are serious consequences when the gun is deployed.

However, when it comes to one's home and family I'm one of the many who equates home with castle and family as the overriding priority. If someone illegally enters that bubble and so much as threatens harm or has a weapon, then he or she is a fair target for whatever it takes to protect the family and get the crook the hell out of it afaic.

I guess it depends on the society around you - if it is reasonably law abiding and policed one feels that much more secure and disinclined to get carried away.

Unfortunately that is not the case where I live, and the survival and security instinct can be fierce and a very scary thing under these extreme circumstances.

I, too, live in a not-so-safe-after-dark neighborhood, but all in all it's not that bad as long as you're not out late at night.

Just 3 nights ago, I wake up around 2am to hear a man & woman arguing outside at the end of my block. Seeing as how I'm on the 9th floor and heard them clearly through my open window says quite a bit. :eek:

I stand at my window and watch for a minute, then the guy throws a bag or something at the woman...I said enough is enough, as it looked like it was escalating, and grabbed my cell and called 911. While I was on the phone 2 cop cars showed up, the cops got out and rushed over.....

When all was said and done, the guy was pretty resistant and yelling at the cops, ended up slammed against the car, cuffed, and taken to jail. Apparently he was either drunk, stupid, or both. :thumbsup:

The kids in this neighborhood have no respect for ANYONE. It's nothing to see kids riding their bikes up to one of the stores downtown and lay their bikes right in the middle of the sidewalk, right in front of the door. :rolleyes:

I'm sitting on my bed in my condo tonight just trying to relax. There are a bunch of guys hanging out in the parking lot blasting thumping loud reverberating rap music. One neighbor is using his saw to cut tile and there are about 15 kids SCREAMING in the yard. I don't know.......I was raised to be respectful. Good night all.

Thank you God I live in a very safe-after-dark neighborhood.
And with the wife that works at the PD we are all safe

ap_officer_shot_dunkin_071031_ms.jpg

Sad Story

Thank you God I live in a very safe-after-dark neighborhood.
And with the wife that works at the PD we are all safe

ap_officer_shot_dunkin_071031_ms.jpg

Sad Story

I remember that...it wasn't too long ago. Very sad story actually....the robber that shot the cop didn't even get away with any money. He shot the cop as soon as he opened the door. :(

They ended up catching him in Miami, at a homeless shelter, if I remember correctly. Also, I think his cousin got jail time for driving him to the greyhound station so he could flee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back