Kyl curries favour

jetset

RIP Brian
KYL CURRIES FAVOUR

Senator massages the president

Coinciding with Rep. Barney Frank's announcement this week that he intended to set about repealing the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, and other moves by Nevada politicians to introduce an investigation into regulatory options, Arizona's Republican Senator Jon Kyl did a little presidential massaging.

It took the form of a letter thanking President Bush for his "protection of family values" and urging him to act immediately in ensuring that the forthcoming regulations for the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) are as stringent as possible. The letter was circulated to senators.

Industry observers will regard the phrase "protection of family values" with some cynicism, bearing in mind the notorious carve-outs supported by Kyl for horse racing, state lotteries and fantasy sports.

Kyl, a long time adversary of online gambling (other than his 'exemptions') played a key role in getting the UIGEA through Congress attached by Sen. Bill Frist to an unrelated Port Security Bill.

Kyl seemed concerned by recent political moves against the UIGEA, commenting: "Any progress made over the last several months may evaporate if immediate action is not taken to ensure strong and effective implementing regulations," Kyl said in the letter.

At least one senator found the dichotomy interesting: "The politics of protecting state lotteries and Indian gaming is comical at times," he told American reporters on condition on anonymity. "Where are the families that this letter represents?

"Jon Kyl is like the instigator and teacher's pet in Junior High. You know, the one who always brings an apple to class. All the other students talk bad about him behind his back but because he is deemed as scholastically intelligent, they all vote him into Student Counsel."

:puke:
KYL CURRIES FAVOUR

Senator massages the president

It took the form of a letter thanking President Bush for his "protection of family values" and urging him to act immediately in ensuring that the forthcoming regulations for the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) are as stringent as possible. The letter was circulated to senators.

Industry observers will regard the phrase "protection of family values" with some cynicism, bearing in mind the notorious carve-outs supported by Kyl for horse racing, state lotteries and fantasy sports.

:puke: :axeman:

I'm not sure if this new Kyl quote is from the same letter mentioned above, but Gambling911 is reporting this today:

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Jon Kyl Celebrates Wall Street, London Stock Exchange Losses

In a letter that many politicians, shareholders and online gambling analysts alike are scratching their heads at, Arizona Senator Jon Kyl (R) expresses jubilation at the loss of some $7 billion by Wall Street and the London Stock Exchange.

Kyl refers to the law he helped author, the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, which holds the banking sector directly responsible for monitoring online gambling transactions.

The immediate impact of this legislation on offshore operators was overwhelming: Online gambling businesses on the London stock exchange lost over $7 billion in market capitalization in one day after the bill was passed by Congress.

One of those companies that lost a nice chunk of that $7 billion - PartyGaming. That company was the largest IPO on the London stock exchange in 2005. Jon Kyl's antics were sure to infuriate British shareholders, banks and politicians even further.
That's really shocking, that Kyl essentially takes pleasure in businesses and stockholders getting wiped out because of his efforts. I guess ends justify means in his mind, right?

I'm sure he feels the same way about US customers with funds frozen in Neteller.

The letter was on display at IGN last week if I recall correctly.

Senator Kyl is a hypocritical piece of work alright with his gambling campaign contributions and shameless carve-outs.

These latest comments will not sit well with the players, companies and investors that he has damaged and inconvenienced so badly with the UIGEA....and I agree with you in surmising that this attitude probably carries over to the Neteller victims too.

And he's going to be around for the next 6 years!!!

...And he's going to be around for the next 6 years!!!

:eek2: Gaaaahhhhh!!! Don't remind me! Can't he be indicted for being a sactimonious hypocrite or something??

I mean ok, we are clearly biased, but honestly...surely an impartial observer with no real interest in online gambling can see through this whole "moral" charade? And on that assumption, why on earth do "politicians" like this guy not just come clean and admit the real reasons. Do their credibility far more good I'd have thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back