HELP...I need a PC GEEK

babs7262

Banned User
OMG
So many options and I dont understand a thing. Can someone please explain this Torrent thing? I was trying to DL a couple of show and I get all of these torrent choices and companies.

Is Torrent one company or is it a called software like windows? There's Nova, Usenext, I want a free download but Im scared to pick the wrong one. SOmeone in this forum surely knows about this huh?

Plus, theres a bit torrent, torrent brother????? I just want to be able to download torrent shows

Hi Babs, I'm just a little geeky ;), so I'll help with what I can.
I'll be the first to tell you that I'm don't know a lot about the torrent protocol but I can point you to Wikipedia's article about it.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
I've always stayed away from from the torrent method because it does carry with it a higher probability of getting into trouble...cough.....I mean caught :eek: I am pretty knowledgeable on a few other methods so if you need some help....pm me.

((((((hugs BB))))

But I decided its too much trouble! OMG, I spent most of the evening trying to figure this stuff out. I had limesomething and then tried something else that gave me problems. Its not worth it LMAO. My real player keeps telling me that it needs some software it cant find blah blah blah

OK MY RANT IS.....now over...ahhhhhhhhhhh

back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Hey Babs,

Imagine for example an episode of House MD (or whatever lol). The episode's file name is house1.avi for example. Someone want to share this episode with his friends, but he doesn't want to upload it to somehwere, rather to share the movie from his computer directly to his friends (let's call them A, B, C).
He makes a "summary" file for the episode (it will be the torrent file), it contains the name of the episode (the filename), and other technical details about the episode file.

He sends this torrent file to his friends, and all of them open up their Torrent client (for example utorrent for windows is a great tool
) and add this torrent file to the program. They will need a central server (the tracker) for the activity, usually the torrent websites from where you download these torrent files will automatically assign the tracker server, so noone has to bother with it, and they start the torrent.

As Mainguy has the whole file, in the beginning A, B, and C will download from him, but assuming that one of them has faster internet connection (uhm, for example B), after some time B will have more of the episode, so he can "seed back" (share back) those parts to A and C. Everyone is downloading from everyone (that's why torrenting called P2P-peer to peer).

Nowadays lots of online games (even Blizzard's WOW) are distributed by torrents, as it is far way cheaper for the publishers, they just share the game once and the users will share to each other after that -> less bandwith for the publisher.

So in nutshell, from a torrent website you don't download the wanted file itself, rather you download its "summary" / torrent file, open it in your torrent client, and it will do the downloading for you.

If you need a specific show, PM me, I might help :p

Ok
I think I did it right. I didnt use that limewire, I decided to use a different sharing community instead that also has a good reputation. They even give you the Utorrent to download. I think I did it right lol. Its taking a long time to dl one movie but thats because I refuse to disable the firewall I have up.

On my torrent it says its active and downloading so I assume its working. Ill let you know if it worked tomorrow

hi babs,
i dont know anything about this torrent thing, but if your wanting to watch/download movies or tv programmes have you tried
there is loads of stuff on there,
i used to use limewire also but had a problem with downloading to many viruses,be careful with it if you use it

So you don't have to worry about trojans , viruses, etc.?

If you download from a trusted source then the community will drop out the malware very fast, so you cannot download it at all. And usually these places require registration, etc, not a free for all community :)

And I guess everyone has their antivirus program on, so if something like this can be installed on your computer then change your antivirus asap :)

I use utorrent all the time, but make sure you scan anything you download for viruses because there are bits coming from all over.

As for download speed, a tip to watch is in your utorrent window it will show the file you're downloading and then show "seeds" and "peers" (peers sometimes known as leeches) - the more "seeds" there are, the faster your download. A lot of place that have torrents will actually show the seeds before you start to download, so if there are multiple instances of the same file, you should pick the one with the most seeds. Once you've downloaded, the file shows in your "completed" folder in the utorrent window and then whenever you have utorrent open, you're one of the people doing the seeding. It's a nice gesture to not delete those files because you're helping other people download faster - if it doesn't show that you're seeding then your firewall is blocking it.

So anyhow if you're downloading something weird that nobody else cares about it could take you months - I wasted almost 2 days trying to get a 565K file cause there was just nobody seeding - I finally gave up. But I downloaded some 300MB software in about 10 minutes because everyone and their dog also wanted it. :)

I took care of the WHOLE problem. Netflix has a 2 week free trial period. I used a credit card that expires at the end of the month so I dont have to remember to cancel it. I only wanted to watch a couple of certain movies and found that netflix has a "watch instantly" online. I already watched the movie last night and dont have to worry about anything:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back