Do Google's New Search Options Affect SEO?

RobWin

closed account
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

By Chris Crum - Tue, 05/19/2009 - 16:52

Searchers Now Have More Ways to Find Your Content

Google's search options were designed to allow users to refine their searches. That means users will use these to weed out irrelevant results and better find what they're looking for.

It also means that there is a whole new set of guidelines that search engine marketers will need to think about...or does it? Perhaps it's just the same guidelines, only emphasized to the user more now, thereby making it more important than ever for marketers and web site owners to consider them.

I asked a few search engine marketing experts if they think the options will affect SEO. Here are a few responses I got:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Personally I don't take much notice of these places any more. Follow their info for a while and you'll soon realised it's similar to Real Estate Puffery.

To further prove my point I took a look at one these so called experts and their clients sites. One in particular:
XXXhttp://www.toprankmarketing.com/case-study/smartkit.php

Now this guy claims "unique visitors have grown by 4,400%!" to smart-kit but doing a search on Google for "puzzles and games" which is what this site offers, I couldn't locate the site on page 1, 2, 3 or 4...Finally found them on spot 10 of page 5. :rolleyes:

Brain Teasers gave pretty the same cr#p results.

Seriously Rob do yourself a favour and take what these sites say with a grain of salt. Spend the time you would on your own site and add good daily content to your blog. Do this and you'll start seeing a marked improvement in 30 days or so.

Cheers
T

I agree with Trezz.

The basics have not changed and I don't see them changing anytime soon.

Well Written Text - Clean Code - Simple Site Navigation(that goes for the sites file structure as well)

If you produce a site that people like, with information/features that people want... They will come... :)

Think about this...
The ONLY reason that google is taking these steps is too provide their users with quality websites in their search results.

So it only makes sense, that if you produce a quality site your chances of appearing on page one in google (or any other Search Engine or Directory) for your chosen keyword set is much better than someone that is producing an aff site with recycled sales content and trying every new SEO trick that hits the SEO forums.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back