Corona virus - Covid 19 discussion

I think the mistakes they made were made upfront by being complacent when the first reports reached us from China. Not only that but our strategical stockpile of PPE, mostly the less efficient surgical masks, weren't refreshed after they threw away a bunch of masks that went "out of date" after the 2009 flu pandemic.

But this has been the issue in most countries. I admire the fact they've been upfront about the deaths in care homes unlike most of the rest of the world, even tho this has lead to us being the laughing stock being front and center in some Trump pressers and like she wrote in the oped getting bad press around the world after a rather biased/badly weighted report.

From tomorrow masks are finally obligated in stores and movie theatres amongst some other places.

It could've been handled better. It could be worse if you see some other countries still struggling or shutting down again because they've gotten complacent and opened up too fast. Not to say this can't happen again here, especially because of the vacation period now.

I do wonder how many of these reports are skewed fodder for the politicians. Cant have an argument without some kind of 'fake news' or statistical lie to back it a bit.

Why i love the internet and a forum. Though its just your opinion its a much better source coming from a fellow peasant if you dont mind me saying :)

I do wonder how many of these reports are skewed fodder for the politicians. Cant have an argument without some kind of 'fake news' or statistical lie to back it a bit.

Why i love the internet and a forum. Though its just your opinion its a much better source coming from a fellow peasant if you dont mind me saying :)

Haha nah I'm fine with that!

You can prove or skew anything with stats... Like I said in a previous post here the other day, just have a look at the actual excess deaths over the past 6 months and compare them to the stats of people who passed away due to the coronavirus, I'm pretty sure there's quite some bodies hidden in the closet :(

I just hope in case of a 2nd wave or localised flare-ups all of us are much better prepared. You can already see it in Portugal, Spain and Germany where they put smaller communities under lockdown instead of the whole country.

Haha nah I'm fine with that!

You can prove or skew anything with stats... Like I said in a previous post here the other day, just have a look at the actual excess deaths over the past 6 months and compare them to the stats of people who passed away due to the coronavirus, I'm pretty sure there's quite some bodies hidden in the closet :(

I just hope in case of a 2nd wave or localised flare-ups all of us are much better prepared. You can already see it in Portugal, Spain and Germany where they put smaller communities under lockdown instead of the whole country.

Yes you have to try and analyse the stats with a hint of common sense. Read between the lines as such. Hard to know what to believe.

Im going to make sure im better prepared in case of a second wave. I dont think the governments will be able to find excuses so easily next time though if so.

Hopefully it wont happen or hit as severe. Or maybe there will be a cure, a mass burning of telephone towers or worldwide chip and vaccination programs. Who knows.

A small part of me wants ti run off and live in the woods somewhere but i think i would go a bit Di Caprio in The Beach

Not a good place for the kids, though the woods round here are a bit more creature friendly. Probably an angry Badger is the worst to fear or more likely, a local drunk, lost on the way home.

Regarding this second spike in the U.K...
After morons on the beach in Bournemouth, morons on the streets protesting...

also various other reports going back to the end of may infact, where is this second spike?.. where is it coming from?..

Restaurant opening? Guys lifting steel at the gym? Or Dorothy and her mate having a cup of tea at bingo?..

Getting pretty sick of it all now, can’t stay hidden away forever.

I didnt know that! Gotta blame the government as well for letting them do it. I doubt much happens there without prior permission or a big bung dare i suggest.

Yep, also the masses of tourists flocking to that island after the film caused a lot of damage too. I think they closed the whole place until 2021 so the nature has a change to recover.

Regarding this second spike in the U.K...
After morons on the beach in Bournemouth, morons on the streets protesting...

also various other reports going back to the end of may infact, where is this second spike?.. where is it coming from?..

Restaurant opening? Guys lifting steel at the gym? Or Dorothy and her mate having a cup of tea at bingo?..

Getting pretty sick of it all now, can’t stay hidden away forever.
I agree with what you're saying, but it is MUCH easier to spread indoors than outdoors, which is part the reason why it spreads through care homes so quickly. Most of those on the beaches etc weren't ever going to be in the vulnerable group, so most probably wouldn't even show symptoms, who knows how many actually caught it?

I saw reports about 6 weeks back where some scientists were saying they thought it had mutated into a less contagious version of itself. I'm thinking they may have been right. We have had all these places where, by all rights, infection should have massively increased, yet all we are seeing is the numbers dropping (uk). I think the real test will be in 2-3 weeks when we see if numbers have increased with the pubs etc opening back up again.

Word on the street's that some wiseguy has begun forwarding the idea people wear masks indoors

(sigh)

Ask me not for the source of this, I partially overheard some of what my partner was saying earlier, I'm sure most of it was very informative. But I caught that snippet, so that's an information-retention improvement of at least 70%!!

Which begs the question still: Do you know where I'll stick the mask to the person that suggests I wear them indoors? Well? Do you? Do you know where I'll put it?

Hai.

Also, go easy on caffeine Yagi-san.
I appreciate the tip Ternur.

Cheers!

tenor.gif

Let businesses decide whether to open or go bust (social distancing if poss etc), and let us public choose whether to use them or not. Also let the population decide whether to go back to work or retire or resign. Life has to go on, just imagine if this was a virus that killed 1 in 3 like SARS or MERS does, we still need to carry on and generate taxes to cover the 1st world services we seem to take for granted ie NHS, emergency services, benefits, and many others!!

We need to grow a pair and not let a virus destroy our way of life, because if we do it will kill millions rather than 1000s

Looks very much like mandatory masks for indoor spaces is coming to England, where the hell are we going to be able to purchase 60 million masks a week from? ( or can they be washed and reused? )

View attachment 136562

The chancellor of the exchequer also involved in PR stunts. [but no mask so something changed in a few days]

View attachment 136565
You can use more or less whatever to make a face mask.

I think if you are using those surgical face masks you are supposed to dispose of them after use, since they wont hold up for a wash.
I mean these.
hhj.jpg

But why use one of those when using a bandana is an option..
nnk.jpg

You can pretend to be a cowboy, a skeleton or something crazy, like a bear.

hjhjh.jpgnbb.pngnnn.jpg

Or if you are vikingly challenged, you can use this opportunity to have a beard.
There is no end to the possibilites.

kk.jpgvb.jpg

You can use more or less whatever to make a face mask.

I think if you are using those surgical face masks you are supposed to dispose of them after use, since they wont hold up for a wash.
I mean these.
View attachment 136585
I have been wearing a mask for months in shops for months since all this shit started. Nothing fancy, just a purchased from Ebay - they are not PPE standard, most masks aren't. it's just a layer of extra protection - is it effective, not sure but it's better than nothing. And they are washable after every use

I was amused at all the outcry from people about wearing masks in shops - you would think they had been asked to sacrifice their pet dog at an altar. It's like wearing weightlifting gloves, I put them on when I go to the gym and take them off when I leave. What was amusing was that apparently 80% of the thousands complaining on various forums wouldn't wear one as they had "breathing problems or that this was the government controlling us big brother style". What an unhealthy nation of paranoids we are.

I do however struggle with the concept of opening pubs, restaurants, gyms, swimming pools etc one day, and then the next day saying masks should be mandatory in shops and enclosed spaces - lets get some consistency, he seems to have done this arse backwards.

Let businesses decide whether to open or go bust (social distancing if poss etc), and let us public choose whether to use them or not. Also let the population decide whether to go back to work or retire or resign. Life has to go on, just imagine if this was a virus that killed 1 in 3 like SARS or MERS does, we still need to carry on and generate taxes to cover the 1st world services we seem to take for granted ie NHS, emergency services, benefits, and many others!!

We need to grow a pair and not let a virus destroy our way of life, because if we do it will kill millions rather than 1000s

Not sure on the "grow a pair" but I agree that we need to let businesses open. The issue however lies in the basic stupidity of human kind. I sometimes wonder whether we evolved from apes or devolved from apes. I don't altogether trust the government, but I am not sure I want to put my trust in a community of mentally challenged bipeds who will queue in their cars for 3 hours for a McDonalds when it opened, or 5 hours for a piece of Swedish Flat pack furniture, from 5 in the morning, because the store opened that day.

Only change to my lifestyle is working from home, I stay away from most guys anyway as I know nothing about drinking, football or "look at the size of the melons on her" :)

I have been wearing a mask for months in shops for months since all this shit started. Nothing fancy, just a purchased from Ebay - they are not PPE standard, most masks aren't. it's just a layer of extra protection - is it effective, not sure but it's better than nothing. And they are washable after every use

I was amused at all the outcry from people about wearing masks in shops - you would think they had been asked to sacrifice their pet dog at an altar. It's like wearing weightlifting gloves, I put them on when I go to the gym and take them off when I leave. What was amusing was that apparently 80% of the thousands complaining on various forums wouldn't wear one as they had "breathing problems or that this was the government controlling us big brother style". What an unhealthy nation of paranoids we are.

I do however struggle with the concept of opening pubs, restaurants, gyms, swimming pools etc one day, and then the next day saying masks should be mandatory in shops and enclosed spaces - lets get some consistency, he seems to have done this arse backwards.
Yeah, medical staff wear them 8+ hours per day, but for some reason wearing it for the 10 minutes you go shopping is causing some people to think they are going to die from the lack of oxygen.
It would be one thing if wearing a mask was to protect oneself from the virus, but the point of wearing one is so you dont infect others. Bit of a dick-move not wearing one imo.

Does not help that theres a bunch of conspiracy theories floating around about the dangers of wearing a mask.
Still weird how those big manly men with their cool camo-wear and guns wont wear a mask to protect their fellow americans.
Instead of being patriots caring for the wellbeing of their country they turn into this:

nnn.gif

Not sure on the "grow a pair" but I agree that we need to let businesses open. The issue however lies in the basic stupidity of human kind. I sometimes wonder whether we evolved from apes or devolved from apes. I don't altogether trust the government, but I am not sure I want to put my trust in a community of mentally challenged bipeds who will queue in their cars for 3 hours for a McDonalds when it opened, or 5 hours for a piece of Swedish Flat pack furniture, from 5 in the morning, because the store opened that day.

Only change to my lifestyle is working from home, I stay away from most guys anyway as I know nothing about drinking, football or "look at the size of the melons on her" :)
Talking shit about Ikea?
But thats where i got this death star lamp...

vv.gif

To defend the honor of Ikea i challenge you to a viking-off.
gg.gif

I agree it shouldnt be that complicated i dont think.

Businesses Open + Mask Worn

Both sides appeased. Problem when you nanny is you end up with a bunch of whining babies.

As for masks being an issue for breathing in some cases its beneficial is it not? Not googled but athletes train with masks on to increase their lung power to increase endurance and are we not supposed to breath into a paper bag if we have trouble?

If they cant be educated then they need discipline.

Does not help that theres a bunch of conspiracy theories floating around about the dangers of wearing a mask.
Still weird how those big manly men with their cool camo-wear and guns wont wear a mask to protect their fellow americans.
Instead of being patriots caring for the wellbeing of their country they turn into this:

Attachments

• bear-arms.jpg
    bear-arms.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 8
It's less about 'masks' and more about 'face-coverings', or at least that's what we were advised for a while.

The PM wants people to return to work offices in their droves whilst simultaneously spending like lunatics to 'kickstart the economy'. Masks are known to cause damage when worn long-term, they cause all manner of respiratory havoc and deprive the lungs of antibodies etc, are pure hotbeds of germs, and do very little to prevent much of anything.

Only purpose these are for is to lessen people's spit accumulating when talking to you. They are not foolproof, most WILL still get the virus get through, but its main function is to stop the thuckering thuckertash, orally- challenged morons from directly passing it on.

Even now on Sky News they're interviewing some geezer about the Cricket season resuming. Standing next to him is a teenage girl, definitely not a metre apart, and both aren't wearing masks! So given that little snippet, the guy may well be doomed now, he looked about 83!

Which further highlights the confusion dished out by Doris & co. Yesterday he was 'promoting' the use of masks to push that agenda by sporting a blue one, looking like a trademark wally, whilst elsewhere Rishi Sunak was serving up Chicken Ceylon in restaurants without so much as thought for his victims.

Fact is though the whole thing's a farce. Serfs are seen in their droves out & about 'wearing masks' because it has become a fashion accessory, less about protecting themselves - and once 'out of others' view- will revert back to being the unconcerned selfish citizens we know them to be.

So if the Government were to ACTUALLY have a clear & definitive plan going forward in regards to PPE or......anything, most would be onboard with that. Now the 'wear masks in shops' mantra is on the menu it still won't stop much of anything, certainly not reckless behaviours. As people in London are by and large selfish AND stupid (myself included)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back