British schools are replacing analog clocks because kids can't read them

Isn't handwriting being phased out too in some countries, like the old pen/ paper combo? Apparently because being versed in the workings of a computer or tablet will be of more use to them in the workplace etc :confused:

Doesn't really surprise anyone though does it. Next they'll be removing Maths in favour of Gender Studies :eek::eek:

Last edited:
Isn't handwriting being phased out too in some countries, like the old pen/ paper combo? Apparently because being versed in the workings of a computer or tablet will be of more use to them in the workplace etc :confused:

Doesn't really surprise anyone though does it. Next they'll be phasing out Maths in favour of Gender Studies :eek::eek:
We fought to keep penmanship here. How long that will last, who knows.

Most of the kids round here are feral anyway so it's of little consequence :laugh:
Yes, they know the 24-hour clock as that's when they have to be charged or released by.

The city that I live in came in 2nd for the most violent city to live in. Population 97 k . It just came out this week. :what: Speaking of feral.
Trust me, the wildlings here would win a 'Feral-Off' with your lot any day. They'd sell their mothers for a pack of Lambert & Butler :p

UGH, So it's like here in Canada? Lil bastards running around cause parents today are horrible. Just yesterday saw a mother about 10 steps ahead of 2 very young children not even watching them on a 4 lane busy road. Ya the pen is going out as my nephew his first class in high school is on the computer, He does not even have to go to class he signs in on his computer. There is no bedtime's anymore and you can scream and run around all you want and everything for kids today, I had a bedtime right up to like last year of high school, If you run around in stores and you had to go stand against the wall and you got a spanking in the ole days. I can go on and on about this subject,lol.

So, if the kids know how to read a digital clock is there a "AM" or "PM" along side the time?? If not, they may not know how to tell if it's morning or evening. lol..... Our digital clocks have the tiniest of lights signaling "PM"....... It is crazy though, in my opinion. Learn to tell time on a real analog clock, it's not that hard!

What a load of utter bollocks you have read in the article.

It is a legal requirement to teach children to read analogue clocks.
The following are the STATUTORY requirements in England and Wales.

By age 7 -
tell the time to the hour and half past the hour and draw the hands on a clock face to show these times.

By age 9 -
tell and write the time from an analogue clock, including using Roman numerals from I to XII, and 12-hour and 24-hour clocks

Any school removing clocks may be seen as failing their legal duties.

I just can't kick the habit, 00.00-23.59 for me, strange how some things stay with you for a lifetime having served in the forces.

I have written 18.10 on a sign-in sheet for my son's school and I was asked by a fellow pupil what time is that? :cool:

I thought they were banning analogue clocks because a few years back they were sponsored by Rolf Harris and Jimmy Savile. When the big hand touches the little hand, it was time for bed ......

(yes, I am truly sorry for mentioning these vile and disgusting animals, please take it as a bad taste joke for which it is intended. However, if Goatwack disapproves, then yes it is a bad joke and I will delete it!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back