Barney Frank retiring?

jetset

RIP Brian
Just in from MSNBC – more later:

Frank will not seek re-election

Massachuetts Rep. Barney Frank (D) will announce Monday that he won't seek re-election in 2012, sources told NBC News.

The longtime lawmaker from the Bay State's 4th congressional district was expected announce his retirement after 16 terms in the House at an afternoon press conference.

The ranking member of the House Financial Services Committee, Frank helped author the financial regulatory reform bill that passed through Congress in 2010, when Frank served as the panel's chairman. California Rep. Maxine Waters (D) is next in line to become ranking member of the committee.

Frank has long been a lightning rod in Washington, known for his characteristically blunt commentary on any and all current events. That's made him a favorite target of conservative Republicans, most recently former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who suggested in his campaigning for president that Frank be jailed for his role in crafting policies that, Gingrich claims, led to the housing crisis.

Frank is one of only three openly gay members of Congress.

I disagree.

Barney Frank has done more than most to raise the positive profile of online gambling in the political environment, and defend the rights of internet gamblers at a time when legalisation was far less of a possibility than it is at present.

He deserves kudos for his efforts imo.

I disagree.

Barney Frank has done more than most to raise the positive profile of online gambling in the political environment, and defend the rights of internet gamblers at a time when legalisation was far less of a possibility than it is at present.

He deserves kudos for his efforts imo.

Like I said the guy supports online I Gaming, other than that look at his record.

Prostitution ring operation from his home.

Fannie Mae role.

And so on.

I do commend him in his online gambling efforts though. So to clarify I applaud his gaming stance but probably disagree more with most of his other views and actions. JMO.

In addition to the above:

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as politics go, I figure Barney is no worse or better than 99.9% of politicians in D.C. who would sell their own Mom to the highest 'contributor'.

As far as gambling goes... he's made an impact and speaks with logic on the topic. He has pushed for bills that might make online gambling legal..... someday.

Go Barney! I just hope we online gamblers have others who will continue with the 'cause'. If we don't, idiots like Bachus will continue to spew half truths, lies, damned lies, and sheer lunacy about the EEEE-villes of online gambling with no one to counter them with reason and logic.

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Barney Frank, whose long House career is coming to an end, said Tuesday he was optimistic Congress will approve one of his signature issues and allow people to gamble over the Internet.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back