32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music

BingoT

Nurses love to give shots
(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.
By Elianne Friend CNN

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

(CNN) -- A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each -- a total of $1.9 million -- for 24 songs.
By Elianne Friend CNN

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Unbelieveble how much influence these music industry bobo's still have.
Makes me wanna puke.
80.000 per song, I'm speechless.
This woman was clearly taken as an example, to scare people off.
And they ruined her life, and that of her family, completely for a bunch of MP3files.
Sick.
And I'm a music producer myself, I should be on their side.

if they went after everyone who downloaded illegal music on the internet they would have court cases for the next 50 years, as De Beuker said they must have wanted to make an example of someone and she was the unlucky one,:rolleyes:

Oh My God, if they put more of this effort into trying to catch the online sick paedophiles then thats great, its over everyone downloads music online nowdays, well except for me :rolleyes:.

uhm...did anyone notice that this wasn't the first time she's done this? They found her guilty of the same thing back in 2007.

uhm...did anyone notice that this wasn't the first time she's done this? They found her guilty of the same thing back in 2007.

No, but so what? Police caught me twice past 3 years for driving a bit too fast, they did not charche me 1.8 million euro's for it.
Both times it was 40 in fact.
Wouldn't it be enough to let her pay for the original value of the songs?
Or maybe twice?
That would be 24 x 1,20 on Itunes?
No, because that wouldn't scare people to death, right?
Its just the music industry mafia trying to protect their fully outdated businessmodel.

The fines are so high that anyone can see they are NEVER going to get the money. It would be MORE scary if the fines were at a level where they WOULD very likely see all the money.
She could go bankrupt, or even ensure none of the families' money is in her name, and they would probably end up getting a token weekly payment.

The big companies behind this are going to make themselves unpopular, as are the stars they represent, when they throw their money around yet justify the need to cripple "as an example" the lives of ordinary people.

They brought it upon themselves by failing to move with the times, and provide what customers really wanted. They still perpetuate the "rip off" album, the one you buy because the radio DJ plays a great track or two, and you find the other 11 are crap.
Even now, they cannot provide what is REALLY wanted, a one-stop-shop for ALL songs, simple to use, and only one music store account to manage (unless the user wanted more). Currently, it can be hard to find songs because they are NOT on every music store, and there is no easy way to track down which music store has which songs.
You are not even allowed to LISTEN to some songs now, because they are blocked on sites like youtube. Now, how the hell do the music companies expect us to buy a song if we cannot listen to it to see if we like it, which also has the added benefit of giving us title & artist, something modern DJs can't always be arsed to do.
I remember in the 70's they would not only give this info, but even SPELL it if the spelling or name was a bit odd, and would sometimes give catalog numbers of singles and albums so you could order them from your local VINYL record shop:D

Even if you buy your MP3's they can vanish every time a hard drive dies on you, or you bugger up your PC, and the record stores don't give a F***. You often CANNOT even do the sensible thing and back up your hard drive, since your purchased music may well NOT work on your new PC.

Vinyl records I bought in the 70's STILL WORK, and are STILL compatable with my "system", and would be just as compatable with a NEW "system", of which there are many with the revival of VINYL for the Dance and House scene.

instead they should go after all the P2P file sharing sites and software that make downloading illegal media easy, they probably just picked on her because she was easy prey, and couldnt/wouldnt put up much of a fight,

instead they should go after all the P2P file sharing sites and software that make downloading illegal media easy, they probably just picked on her because she was easy prey, and couldnt/wouldnt put up much of a fight,

They have already done this, and indeed have shut many of them down. Unfortunately for them, they failed to satisfy the market demand that was being served by these sites, so replacements kept springing up. Some of these replacements are themselves scams, since they claim to be legal sites, and charge a fee which gives them the appearance of being legal to the user. They keep the fee rather than pass it on to the correct organisations, and just provide another brand of P2P software.

Until the music industry provides what customers want, rather than what the industry wants to dictate they will have & be bloody grateful for it, then there will be new P2P sharing systems springing up all the time.

There is a new threat now, and this is LEGAL download sites within one country that, due to "globalisation" will sell to ANYBODY, regardless of country. Funny that "globalisation" suddenly becomes a bad thing when it helps the PEOPLE rather than the big corporations.
One site in particular is Russian, perfectly legal under RUSSIAN law, and it will sell to EVERYONE now that Russia is "born again capitalist". Unfortunately for the music moguls, the price is set for ordinary Russians, and for us in the fully developed world works out at the equivalent of 10p to 20p per track. The site is policed by the Russian equivalent of the USA's RIAA, and collects royalties due for the tracks purchased. Russia, however, does not seem to recognise the "right" of big corporations to refuse to sell to particular countries, and in this respect Russia are the true capitalists - they will take our money if they can provide something we want. American download sites will sometimes refuse to sell to particular countries, and the restrictions often leave NO legal outlet for some things, so that ALL searches by certain consumers will ONLY find the "illegal" solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back