Question William Hill, how come....

cncas2123

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
been betting with William Hill online for many years, but had a block on games.
After seeing the selection they had these days I lifted the block a few months ago and have been having a degree of success, about £4K up since Easter.
Went a bit mad on Thursday and ended up depositing £4,600 but got up to £5,500 put a withdraw request in for £5,200.
Played the balance up to £500 on Friday and wanted to lift it but get a message that I needed to verify- even though I had been verified.
My question is, how come I can still play and deposit but can’t make a withdrawal ?
I’ve sent bank statement passport electric bill and copy of card yet still can’t withdraw.
Any thoughts ??

been betting with William Hill online for many years, but had a block on games.
After seeing the selection they had these days I lifted the block a few months ago and have been having a degree of success, about £4K up since Easter.
Went a bit mad on Thursday and ended up depositing £4,600 but got up to £5,500 put a withdraw request in for £5,200.
Played the balance up to £500 on Friday and wanted to lift it but get a message that I needed to verify- even though I had been verified.
My question is, how come I can still play and deposit but can’t make a withdrawal ?
I’ve sent bank statement passport electric bill and copy of card yet still can’t withdraw.
Any thoughts ??

Well done on not losing your £4,600, maybe they're are hoping if they delay your ability to withdraw, you might keep playing and lose the £500. :( I play at will hill quite a bit and have never been asked to re-verify my account, my largest withdrawal to date is about £650. When the withdrawals get quite big I think they have to get approved by someone higher up.

If the £5,200 has gone through then it will probably be paid Monday afternoon and after that I can't see how they can refuse to pay the £500.

I just spotted this article in the guardian from 2016 which related to somebody who won bets on racing at william hill:

"Over the course of a week, the backer was asked to provide a series of documents to confirm his identity, despite having cleared the firm’s standard ID procedures – as required by the Gambling Commission – on opening the account.

Additional documents were provided as requested, but a week after the withdrawal request, the punter was told that his account was being closed because the documents could not be verified. The balance of about £20,000 vanished from his account on 24 September – but did not reappear in his bank account.

The money remained in limbo until 5 October, when he deposited £10 into what was supposedly a closed account, and duly placed a bet with it.

“Case won,” Chappell says. “They couldn’t pay his £20,000 because they
couldn’t verify his account, but then they still let him deposit and bet.”

Two days later, the full balance reappeared on the account, and was successfully withdrawn.

“This is a classic example of what some firms are doing,” Chappell said, “and we are getting more cases like this than anything else on the website at the moment. When people lose, they never ask for this information.

“The bookies are trying it on, and in many cases where there are smaller amounts involved, they are probably getting away with it. The first thing they often ask for is a selfie with a driving licence or a passport. Then it’s a utility bill or bank statement, but they often say they won’t accept any utility bill or bank statement that’s online.

“Then they say they need a paper printout from the bank, or that it needs to be unredacted and notarised by a solicitor, so you have to show them complete details of all your income and expenditure before they will pay you.”

Chappell accepts that identity checks are an essential legal requirement to prevent money-laundering and fraud, but believes extended verification procedures applied only to winning punters suggest that the system is being abused.

“It urgently needs to be reviewed,” he said. “When someone opens an account, there needs to be a seven-day period when that account is either verified or it isn’t. At the moment, the terms and conditions of many bookmakers basically say that if we want to, we can ask you for anything we want, and if we don’t get it, we don’t have to pay you. In my view, that has to be against consumer law, as it’s completely unbalanced.”

When contacted, William Hill said that it could not comment on an individual case, but that legally, the firm was “fully entitled” to perform additional identity checks. “Under the Gambling Commission regulations we are obliged to carry out certain customer due diligence and anti-money laundering checks,” a spokesman said.

“We perform a number of automatic checks immediately after account registration, using information provided by the customer, along with electoral roll and debit/credit card verification. If we can’t verify who a customer is or there are any queries, we ask for further details to help identify the account holder.

In the instance of a particularly large bet or sizeable win, we are fully entitled to ask for further checks to ensure we are happy there is no fraud or money laundering taking place. This is to ensure the company is completely compliant and we meet our regulatory requirements.”

So they need to verify you again to be able to withdraw 5K but they didn't need to do so for you to be able to deposit 4.6K. It's no problem when they're taking but come to pay out. Laughable it's ok for us to recieve laundered money but don't ask for it back.

I think that, at least, a notification should pop up when a player tries depositing unusually large amounts, that if he proceeds with the transaction, a thorough investigation will need to be made of the player's finances, in line with Big Brother's AML and anti-fraud guidelines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back