This is just plain sick

jas2587

Dormant account
OMG!! Jackson fans beat odds for memorial tickets
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Like a modern-day Willy Wonka tale, fans celebrated Sunday after beating the odds to win coveted tickets to Michael Jackson's memorial service at Staples Center.

More than 1.6 million fans registered online for free in the random drawing of only 8,750 names. Each person selected will receive two tickets to Tuesday's memorial. The odds of getting a ticket were about 1 in 183.

"I'm in shock that it has happened," said Deka Motanya, 27, of San Francisco. "It's surreal." She received an e-mail message at 4:35 p.m. notifying her, "Congratulations, your application was successful."

She immediately Twittered: "OMG OMG OMG OMG i got tickets to the michael jackson memorial service!!!"

David Gobaud, 25, who studies computer science at Stanford University, said he didn't believe his e-mail was real at first. "It's Michael Jackson, one of the greatest musical stars of all time," he said.

Another winner was Zach Moss, a 21-year-old Chicagoan working for the summer as a DJ in Las Vegas. He said clubgoers have responded strongly to Jackson's music since his death.

"You can play two, three Michael Jackson songs back to back and people are going to have this huge jubilation celebration," he said. "Everyone throws their drinks up and shouts, 'MJ!' It's extremely powerful."

The tickets will admit 11,000 people to the Staples Center plus 6,500 in the Nokia Theater overflow section next door. The streets around Staples Center will be closed to prevent those without tickets from trying to attend, police said Sunday.

Assistant Police Chief Jim McDonnell warned the ticketless to stay away: "You'll be standing in the hot sun on a city street with a lot of other people ... but not within eyeshot of Staples."

The ceremony will not be shown on Staples' giant outdoor TV screen and there will be no funeral procession through the city. No details were available about the actual memorial events.

Jackson's family was planning a private ceremony at the Forest Lawn cemetery in the Hollywood Hills, McDonnell said. He did not provide further details.

At the Wilshire Grand Los Angeles hotel about a half mile from the Staples Center, more than 90 percent of the hotel's 1,000 rooms were booked for Monday and Tuesday night, up from about 60 percent last week.

"There's a lot of demand right now," said spokesman Marc Loge. "We are going to sell out."

Ticket winners said they received a unique code and instructions to pick up their tickets Monday at Dodger Stadium.

When they pick up their tickets, a wristband will be placed on their wrists. To prevent ticket scalping, fans must have both the ticket and the wristband to enter Staples Center on Tuesday. Wristbands that have been ripped, taped or tampered with will be voided.

City officials are preparing for huge crowds. McDonnell would not say how many police would be on the job, but alluded to the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics and the recent championship celebration for the Los Angeles Lakers at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Jackson died at age 50 on June 25 after going into cardiac arrest in the bedroom of his rented mansion. The cause of Jackson's death has not been determined. Autopsy results are not expected for several weeks.

Also Sunday, a judge signed search warrants connected to the investigation of Jackson's death, Los Angeles County Superior Court spokesman Allan Parachini said. The warrants were sealed and Parachini would not discuss any details.

Authorities are investigating allegations that Jackson had been consuming painkillers, sedatives and antidepressants. The powerful sedative Diprivan, which is usually administered by anesthesiologists in hospitals, was found in his home. It was not known what drugs, if any, Jackson obtained from doctors.

More than a week after his death, tributes and accolades keep coming. Madonna had a Jackson impersonator dance to "Wanna Be Starting Something" at her concert Saturday in the same London arena where he was to stage his comeback.

The Rev. Al Sharpton called for nationwide "love vigils" for Jackson, asking people to gather in schools, community centers and churches to watch the memorial service and talk about the pop star's "message" instead of the "mess" surrounding his death.

The memorial service will be broadcast live on five television networks.

Cindy:rolleyes:

Damn, you beat me to it Cindy! I was just getting ready to post about this. Is this shit not tacky as hell..:rolleyes:

Lucky fans get news on Jackson memorial tickets

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Some lucky Michael Jackson fans got the e-mails they were hoping for Sunday, saying they've won two free tickets to Tuesday's memorial service.

OMG OMG OMG OMG i got tickets to the michael jackson memorial service!!!" Deka Motanya wrote Sunday afternoon in a Twitter message.

The 8,750 fans chosen were summoned to Dodger Stadium Monday to pick up their tickets and have a wristband placed on their arms to prevent them from reselling them.

The Michael Jackson memorial, set for 10 a.m. (1 p.m. ET) Tuesday in the Staples Center arena, is expected to be a star-studded and emotional tribute to the entertainer, who died June 25.

Twitter.com served as a seismograph Sunday as fans anxiously watched their inboxes for an e-mail from AEG Live, the memorial organizer and Staples Center owner. More than five hours after the notifications were to be sent, none had been received.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

____
____

To me this whole MJ thing is amazing...

One month ago... he was a child molesting freak, who turned himself white and who's nose fell off.

Now, a few days after he is dead and people know how much money he had... he is some kind of Entertainment God...

No wonder I stay far far away from US pop culture...:lolup:

To me this whole MJ thing is amazing...

One month ago... he was a child molesting freak, who turned himself white and who's nose fell off.

Now, a few days after he is dead and people know how much money he had... he is some kind of Entertainment God...

No wonder I stay far far away from US pop culture...:lolup:

This often happens with entertainers. When they die, there is a surge in demand for their work, be it films, shows, or music. Anything bad about them is glossed over as society tells us "don't speak ill of the dead".

He (or rather his estate) will probably make more money from his death than he himself would have made from his come back tour.

did you see whan MJ's daughter was speaking her part at the funeral how the jackson family hovered around her to make sure they all was in the camera its a wonder that poor girl could even breath

just makes me sick

Cindy

Hope his numerous creditors receive some of those millions his death will generate.

I can't believe that this story and all the associated schmaltz is still rolling after over a week.....

Way too much hoopla about it and it's not over yet and we'll hear about it over and over for the next few months because of the allegations concerning the drugs and the doctors. I saw a poll that said 64% of folks thought there was too much media coverage about it........agreed! Yes he was very talented and unique but with that said he led a strange and complicated life and least we forget that he was accused of molesting children, true or not, who knows?:confused: Great fame and lots of $$$$'s tend to screw people up and they get lost and aren't in touch with reality.
It's a messed up world we live in! :eek:

I can't believe that there were actually two people in Congress that wanted the US Congress to issue some kind of an award for his life accomplishments...

I guess the good news it is only two people and the rest of them seem to have come to their senses and are not going to waste the taxpayers money on this.

According to reports... Just to have all the police presence that has surrounded this "show" so far has cost the tax payers of California over Two Million dollars... just for the police... What gets me is why we should have to pay for this? If MJ has a 1/2 a Billion dollars stuck away.. shouldn't his family and the business that are making money off of his death pay for all this?

I don't want to sound too crass... but come on... California is literally broke and issuing IOU's right now to pay it's bills... and this very very rich family and the very very profitable business that are making millions off his death are just expecting the tax payer to foot the bill for all this???
I call Bull Shite...

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back