The best poker player of all time

onlineprime08

Dormant account
Guys, I have been wondering, we have so many famous poker players in the industry today. And there are a lot more that is making history.

But as of today, who do you think is the best poker player of all time?

I think Stu Unger was and always will be in a class of his own... To bad he was such a screw up... There's Stuey, and everyone else is going for second best.

Phil Ivey and Daniel Negreanu are both amazing players. Watching High Stakes Poker Negreanu doesn't seem to have much luck sometimes, but his ability to read people is amazing.

I think Stu Unger was and always will be in a class of his own... To bad he was such a screw up... There's Stuey, and everyone else is going for second best.

This.

As for second, Chip Reese & closely followed by Doyle. Yes, there are plenty of other high-profile / TV friendly players, but IMO to be considered "best of all time", you've gotta take into account career duration and game diversity (i.e. successes with many variants of the game).

E.g. As a direct result of his 11 WSOP bracelet wins, some may argue Phil Hellmuth is the best. Sure, no one matches his tally of wins & as he's done this over a ~20year period, this does show he's more than a flash in the pan. The detractor to this is all his wins have been in hold'em, so whilst kudos for his achievements, he cannot be considered the best.

Just my 2c

I remember watching a clip of Negreanu lay down pocket queens pre-flop to a small raise, the other guy had Ace's. Awesome

Not bad, but here's something that takes it up a notch...

Final table of the WSOP $50k HORSE event from a few years ago. Doyle raises pre-flop with pocket Q's & Chip calls with pocket K's. Flop comes 2, 3, 7, rainbow & Doyle bets out. Chip min raises. With almost half his stack already in the middle most would expect an all-in re-raise from Doyle...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad, but here's something that takes it up a notch...

Final table of the WSOP $50k HORSE event from a few years ago. Doyle raises pre-flop with pocket Q's & Chip calls with pocket K's. Flop comes 2, 3, 7, rainbow & Doyle bets out. Chip min raises. With almost half his stack already in the middle most would expect an all-in re-raise from Doyle...

I saw someone fold (open) a set of jacks after the flop at the WSOP. The other player showed his set of kings out of respect.

This one? (both players flop sets & have full boats by the river) ...

Yeah that one ! I remembered it wrong thinking it was played at the flop.

Mike's comment is also very funny, he couldn't believe what happened :D

For me, I vote Doyle Brunson as number1, while "The Kid Poker" was second for me.
I'm a fan of both players and they inspire me while playing poker. Though I am not that good in playing poker, I am inspried by how they got so good in playing poker and made it to the top. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back