Soccer & Gambling Shirt Deals Threat

FC reaction

FOOTBALL RESPONSE TO SPONSORSHIP THREAT

Suggestion that shirt sponsorships should be halted is "ridiculous" says Tottenham chairman

It didn't take long for the football industry to react to the huge publicity generated by a statement from the UK Minister of Sports this week indicating that football shirt sponsorships by online gambling companies may come under scrutiny in the new year.

Within 24 hours, The Daily Telegraph reported that Tottenham football club chairman Daniel Levy had dismissed as ridiculous the governments plans to investigate whether football club sponsorships with gambling companies are illegal.

The furore started with a House of Commons debate in which Labour MP Ben Campbell criticised British gambling reform measures due to come effect next year, and Sports Minister Richard Caborn revealed that the UK Gambling Commission is to carry out a consultation in the new year to determine whether clubs who carry the logos of betting firms on their shirts are breaking the law.

There are concerns that kit endorsement deals with internet gambling outfits such as Mansion, who sponsor Tottenham in a deal worth GBP34 million, might encourage vulnerable children to bet.

But Levy said: I think its ridiculous. I have not received any complaints about us having Mansion on our shirts. This country freely advertises the lottery on TV and billboards. Its no different.

We only carry their brand on our shirts, its not a website where you can go on it and bet. In the end, the issue they are talking about is in connection with children and to be honest with you I think its so tenuous.

Children dont buy shirts, the parents buy the shirts and what about all the alcohol advertising you get on billboards? I just think its a nonsense.

Asked whether he would consider taking the Mansion logo off replica shirts sold to children aged under 16, Levy replied: No. If anything I think you draw even more attention to it. Whats silly about this situation is where do you draw the line? Kids go on to sports websites and from there they can go on to betting sites. They can go anywhere on the web. You have betting shops on the High Street.

We will not ignore it but I have spoken to Mansion and they are not concerned about it at all. In a statement Tottenham added that they would nevertheless be prepared to co-operate with the consultation process.

We understand the Premier League is being initially consulted on this and we shall liaise with them accordingly if required.

In addition to Spurs, Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Aston Villa have signed deals with online gaming companies. Under current laws it is illegal for gambling operators to target children with advertising and under the new Gambling Act, set to come into force next September, the punishments for doing so will become more severe.

Caborn said yesterday: There is a grey area at the moment and the inquiry is to see whether it should be allowed. Theres a difference between broadcasting and non-broadcasting advertising with regard to gambling. The question is whether, given the coverage of Premiership football on television, such shirt sponsorship should be regarded as advertising on TV.

Suggestion that shirt sponsorships should be halted is "ridiculous" says Tottenham chairman

He would say that, after all Spurs are getting paid a massive amount of cash for their two year deal with Mansion. It will be interesting to see, if the UK Govt does make any moves to outlaw gambling companies from sponsoring football teams. However, if they do, surely then advertising hoardings at sports ground will also not be allowed to hold gambling ads either.

I think the status quo will prevail.

He would say that, after all Spurs are getting paid a massive amount of cash for their two year deal with Mansion. It will be interesting to see, if the UK Govt does make any moves to outlaw gambling companies from sponsoring football teams. However, if they do, surely then advertising hoardings at sports ground will also not be allowed to hold gambling ads either.

I think the status quo will prevail.

I believe this is a storm brewing in a teacup. Jetset's news piece above shows the reality - if gambling is legal, and alcohol is legal, how are they going to ban advertising on shirts for one and not the other?

I would dare say that alcohol is responsible for more accidents and deaths and trouble in families than gambling is - and likewise, the potential for underage gambling (small to begin with) is not going to increase with advertising on shirts, just as underage drinking is not going to increase (far more likely).

All it will probably take is a donation to Mr Campbell's campaign funds for him to have a change of heart... LOL...

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back