Poker Players Alliance acting kinda sleazy?

lots0

Banned User - troll posts - flaming
To day I get an email from Alfonse D'Amato, Chairman of the Poker Players Alliance.

Mr. D'Amato wants me to sign up for a drawing for a seat in the WSOP tournament main event, But before I register for the drawing, Mr. D'Amato requires me to "upgrade" to a paid Poker Players Alliance membership.

Mr. D'Amato tells me if I upgrade to a paid membership, I am going to receive all this cool free stuff. But I think Mr. D'Amato forgot that the PPA has still not sent me the cool stuff they promised me when I sent a small donation and signed up when the poker players Alliance first opened their doors and started taking members.

Look I don't mind a non-profit group, that I belong to and agree with, asking me for financial support. But this just seems to me like the PPA is adopting some rather shady internet marketing tactics to raise money.

I think I would rather just be asked outright for money, then at least I can ask what my money is going to be used for.

And what is the deal about the person chosen for the seat to the WSOP final event MUST BE 25 years old? Everywhere in the US of A (and the rest of the world) 21 is the legal age..

But the part that really makes my eyebrows go up is this... A paid PPA member gets access to "The premier online savings network with access to over 600 popular merchants." So the PPA is now an affiliate??? That smells very funny to me.

Here is copy of the email I received. Maybe it's just me, but to me this whole PPA thing is starting to have a real sleazy smell about it.

Dear XXXXXX,

On behalf of the Poker Players Alliance, thank you for being part of our landmark drive to sign up more than one million members nationwide. Speaking with one voice on behalf of the great game, we have become one of the leading grassroots advocacy organizations in the country.

We have expanded our reach coast-to-coast, opened offices in our nations capital, and we are fighting each and every day to preserve your ability to play the great game of poker. Politicians are hearing our message that Poker Is Not a Crime.

Today, I am excited to announce that the PPA is ready to reward you for your participation. We are launching PPA Online, a new and improved Web site, and a brand new membership package of valuable benefits.

Take a moment now to visit our new web site. Registration is free. Check out the new forums. Receive Action Alerts, use our easy tools for grassroots action, and receive a free weekly poker advice column from professional player Daniel Negreanu.

Now, consider the additional benefits of upgrading to a PPA Online Premium Membership. For just $20 per year, you will receive the PPA Collectors Poker Chip, the PPA Window Decal, access to our PPA Litigation network, plus membership in PPA Advantages, powered by OneBigPlanet - the premier online savings network with access to over 600 popular merchants. You can save over $2000 per year!

And for a limited time - just 21 days, so act now new dues-paying members can enter a drawing for a fully paid $10,000 Buy-In for a seat at the Main Event at the World Series of Poker! Simply enjoy PPA Advantages savings on one purchase between May 19th and June 10th and you are automatically enrolled in the WSOP Main Event contest. Click here for more details.*

Just as PPA has grown, so have the challenges that we face. We are fighting for your rights not only in Washington, but in state capitals where your right to play is under attack - perhaps in the capital of your own state.

This is your chance to help the PPA help you - to protect your right to play, and offer you valuable membership benefits and premiums. Plus you can win a seat at the WSOP Main Event!

Act now to take advantage of this limited-time offer. Click here to start your PPA Online Premium Membership today. Your PPA Collectors Poker Chip and Window Decal will soon be on the way, and you can start to enjoy the big savings of PPA Advantages immediately.

More benefits are coming soon, and this offer will not be sent to you again. So dont wait. Act today, and start enjoying your benefits and savings. Enter the drawing for the paid seat at the WSOP Main Event. There's something for everyone.

We look forward to counting you among our PPA Online Premium Members.

Proud to play,

Alfonse D'Amato, Chairman
Poker Players Alliance

* DISCLAIMER: All entrants into the WSOP Main Event seat contest must be over the age of 25 and the prize winner must show proof thereof. The winner is responsible for paying any taxes associated with the prize. Contest expires 12:00 AM EDT, June 10th, 2008. PPA employees, PPA Board Members, OneBigPlanet employees and members of their immediate families are not eligible to win the WSOP Main Event seat. Void where prohibited by law.

All entrants into the WSOP Main Event seat contest must be over the age of 25
Maybe a rental car is provided with the package?

It's also worded ambiguously. Taken at face value, it sounds like only people who are 26 years or older are eligible, depending on the definition of "over the age of 25". :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back