New Desk Setup

Webzcas

Winter is Coming!
Staff member
Yesterday I went out and bought a new monitor to sit side by side by my LG monitor which I bought around 18 months ago.

I plumped for a Samsung SyncMaster SA300 - 24' and my word the picture is superb, putting my LG Flatron 22' monitor to shame. Just need to get my old iMac brought into the office and then my desk workspace will be complete :).

The iMac will be purely used for me to have Sky Sports News on LOL - sacrilege I know, but it is a few years old what with me buying it on eBay a couple of years ago. Besides, I would only make it dual boot anyhow by sticking Windows XP on it, so I could use it for work. So Sky Sports News it is :)

We also have in our office, a Dell Vostro PC running windows live, plus a PowerEdge SC440 Server, which by end of play today, should be our new dedicated Linux file, ftp and test webserver. :D

Be interesting to see the setups other members have.

Attachments

• newmonitor.jpg
    newmonitor.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 71
  • apple.jpg
    apple.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 74
Mine's very modest compared to yours, Webscas - but I agree on the Samsung SyncMaster. I bought the 26 inch model at he beginning of this year and it is superb - no complaints here. Other than that I have a new-ish custom built PC with plenty of power and an older desktop now used for flight simulation R&R. I've got a wireless bubble installed so one one can work anywhere in the surrounds on my Sony laptop - it's also good for my wife's HP laptop and any friends who come to stay with us.

I've just bought an iPad 2 which I am really enjoying, although I haven't got it taped yet:oops:

I am NOT even going to take a pic of my work station. I feel like such a slob!:oops: Papers, disks, everything all over the place. How to you ever find anything with such a clean workspace????:D:rolleyes:
Not to mention the cat that is draped over the top of my monitor and the other cat who hides behind my modem... And the other cat who frequently helps me type, and/or tests out how liquidproof the keyboard is...
Then there's the big dog who THINKS he's a small dog and tries to fit into the kneehole space, often hitting the powerstrip turning everything off.

I am NOT even going to take a pic of my work station. I feel like such a slob!:oops: Papers, disks, everything all over the place. How to you ever find anything with such a clean workspace????:D:rolleyes:

Me too! Although it would be a lot worse were it not from the weekly "clean your desk" nag from the wife :D

I've gone for the desktop/laptop combo, but recently the desktop has just been showing real time analytics data!

Hey same_old - have you tried out Battlefield 3 yet?

I used to work for EA when they were making battlefield 2 - they used to rope us in to doing stress tests on the multiplayer... that was fun! :D Until it crashed :( Sometimes we forgot we were at work, ha ha!

Yesterday I went out and bought a new monitor to sit side by side by my LG monitor which I bought around 18 months ago.

I plumped for a Samsung SyncMaster SA300 - 24' and my word the picture is superb, putting my LG Flatron 22' monitor to shame. Just need to get my old iMac brought into the office and then my desk workspace will be complete :).

The iMac will be purely used for me to have Sky Sports News on LOL - sacrilege I know, but it is a few years old what with me buying it on eBay a couple of years ago. Besides, I would only make it dual boot anyhow by sticking Windows XP on it, so I could use it for work. So Sky Sports News it is :)

We also have in our office, a Dell Vostro PC running windows live, plus a PowerEdge SC440 Server, which by end of play today, should be our new dedicated Linux file, ftp and test webserver. :D

Be interesting to see the setups other members have.

computer geek pr0n..... Old Attachment (Invalid)

When my 24" gateway LCD monitor died earlier this year (damn thing stayed hot enough to cook a turkey, and heated up the room a full 3 degrees on its own), I went with a 27" LED Asus -without the excessively high resolution. I read more than play and I was growing tired of squinting and leaning forward... LOL LED is soooo much cooler. Not so sure it would be good for gaming though. But it does what I need it to do.

P.S. ... I think we need a little computer discussion room here at CM. What do you guys think?

I'm hoping after the first of the year I can afford to buy a new monitor, was going to treat myself to a nice flatscreen before I had water issues (could have a new system and monitor for what my well pump, hot water heater and kitchen plumbing just cost me:mad:).

I like the looks of that Samsung. Will have too keep that in mind when I go looking again.

Ah, but you didn't see the part of the desk that wasn't in the photograph :)

For the geeks below is my small network setup in our office in town, with finally the server with Linux installed. We have a small gigabit switch and juniper netscreen firewall as well.

Attachments

• server.jpg
    server.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 48

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back