johnsteed

dreamtheatre

Dormant account
34605488 19 Ağu 04:30 1.45 FIBA World Championship 2006 UNI @ 1.45

John i betted 562 dollars on the championship of the USA national basketball team in the Fiba World championships. Do you think it was a wise decision. Will the king and flash be enough for the title?

Wow, tough question. :cool:

As always is the case with the U.S. squad, on paper, they're awesome! Great individual talent there. Heck, even if they took the best NCAA players from last year (why DON'T they do that... the college level will always buy into the "team" concept above their own accomplishments), they're probably better on paper than the rest of the draw. But... international players - for the most part - or rather teams from other countries generally play together for much longer, prepare much longer, and have a great understanding of each other's strengths and weaknesses.

While I'm sure LeBron is excited to be playing with his best "buds" Melo and Wade, will they be great at playing off each other's strengths, and helping-out at covering each other's weaknesses. Not so sure.

But... I think this will be the year the players on this team will put the "team" first. I think they should put less emphasis on LeBron though. The guy who'll be the leader on this team, will be Wade... IF this team will succeed. You've got to go with the champion, not the player most predict will be "THE CHOSEN ONE" (that being LeBron).

Wade is not Jordan, and I don't care about future potential and all that, he was the greatest, and would still find a way to stand-out ahead of the Draft Class of '03. However, Wade shows that same determination and fire that Jordan had. He's the player who's game most resembles Michael Jordan's. Actually, I'm going to change that. Jordan's game was different, but they have that same fire, although Jordan's was more NOVAesque.

I'll try to steer clear of Larry Brown as best as I can, but I MUST mention this first. He rarely played LeBron, Wade, or Melo the last time they were altogether for the '04 Olympic squad. I think this group - this time out - really want to dispel the idea that the U.S. can't play a "team game". I hope that they have a chip-on-their-shoulders this time, and frankly, I would guess that they do.

The ONLY thing I'm worried about, is that these guys will have too much fun hanging around each other. If I were the coach, I'd want them to be pissed-off, no hugging, trying to push any negative into a positive; great effort and assertiveness. The greatest example of a player trying to hard to be friends with all the other stars around the league, is Vince Carter. I'm sure he's loved, and that makes him happy. But, when he went too far into that direction, the focus was gone. The game should be played as if the opponent is your enemy, not someone you're trying to hook-up for dinner with after the game.

So, in the end, yes, I think that I would back your gamble. This team is really about the U.S. making their mark again, showing the world who's boss. And the under card is that this is about the "next generation", specifically the Draft Class of '03. I think it'll work this time out. Everyone should know their role, and with focus, their talent will prevail.

Steed

johnsteed said:

Wow, tough question. :cool:

As always is the case with the U.S. squad, on paper, they're awesome! Great individual talent there. Heck, even if they took the best NCAA players from last year (why DON'T they do that... the college level will always buy into the "team" concept above their own accomplishments), they're probably better on paper than the rest of the draw. But... international players - for the most part - or rather teams from other countries generally play together for much longer, prepare much longer, and have a great understanding of each other's strengths and weaknesses.

While I'm sure LeBron is excited to be playing with his best "buds" Melo and Wade, will they be great at playing off each other's strengths, and helping-out at covering each other's weaknesses. Not so sure.

But... I think this will be the year the players on this team will put the "team" first. I think they should put less emphasis on LeBron though. The guy who'll be the leader on this team, will be Wade... IF this team will succeed. You've got to go with the champion, not the player most predict will be "THE CHOSEN ONE" (that being LeBron).

Wade is not Jordan, and I don't care about future potential and all that, he was the greatest, and would still find a way to stand-out ahead of the Draft Class of '03. However, Wade shows that same determination and fire that Jordan had. He's the player who's game most resembles Michael Jordan's. Actually, I'm going to change that. Jordan's game was different, but they have that same fire, although Jordan's was more NOVAesque.

I'll try to steer clear of Larry Brown as best as I can, but I MUST mention this first. He rarely played LeBron, Wade, or Melo the last time they were altogether for the '04 Olympic squad. I think this group - this time out - really want to dispel the idea that the U.S. can't play a "team game". I hope that they have a chip-on-their-shoulders this time, and frankly, I would guess that they do.

The ONLY thing I'm worried about, is that these guys will have too much fun hanging around each other. If I were the coach, I'd want them to be pissed-off, no hugging, trying to push any negative into a positive; great effort and assertiveness. The greatest example of a player trying to hard to be friends with all the other stars around the league, is Vince Carter. I'm sure he's loved, and that makes him happy. But, when he went too far into that direction, the focus was gone. The game should be played as if the opponent is your enemy, not someone you're trying to hook-up for dinner with after the game.

So, in the end, yes, I think that I would back your gamble. This team is really about the U.S. making their mark again, showing the world who's boss. And the under card is that this is about the "next generation", specifically the Draft Class of '03. I think it'll work this time out. Everyone should know their role, and with focus, their talent will prevail.

Steed

Very well put together post John Steed.

Have a good one.

spain and argentina

i watched all the games played in japan 2006 fiba world chanpionship.

first of all congratulations to my country Turkey. we won four out of five games without our two nba players including beats against lithuania and brasil.

spain and argentina are very dangerous and strong teams. i can say that usa cannot easily beat any of these teams. i am beginning to worry for my 560 dollars:)

I'd have to agree with you "dreamtheatre", because I'm half-expecting some kind of slip to happen along the way.

But... I wouldn't want that $560 on any other team than the U.S. squad. This group will not be taking Argentina or Spain (or pretty much any other team) lightly. That's the difference between now, and that last two squads that went to battle. I get the sense that the coaching staff probably have tons of scouts watching the other team's games, and have likely been doing so for quite some time.

They may very well lose, but I just don't see that happening. On hunger alone, they should have it. On trying to regain U.S. pride, it's serious this time. It hasn't been THIS serious since they put out that first Dream Team squad in '92, and even then, while certainly a greater team at that time, this team has to play with far greater pressure... and they know that they aren't above losing. There have already been few minor bumps along the way, but nothing where you should feel the need to sound-the-alarm.

As far as I'm concerned, it still seems to be a safe bet. As long as the U.S. keeps doing what they're presently doing, while continuing to make "smart" adjustments AND never forgetting to play like a team, they can't be beat. A team may keep it close throughout 4 quarters of any particular game (I see this happening at least once), but this team will prevail. I wish I had put that kind of money on this team. :thumbsup:

I still feel that Dwayne Wade should be recognized as the squad's leader (by the media that is)... not LeBron.

Steed

I still feel that Dwayne Wade should be recognized as the squad's leader (by the media that is)... not LeBron.

absolutely!

i think the US team would actually be tougher to beat if LeBron had taken this summer off. definately not a knock on LeBron's skill. But Wade is a proven champion, not a Nike appointed one.

tennis_balls

But Wade is a proven champion, not a Nike appointed one.

I think that's the thing that bothers me about LBJ "tennis_balls", is exactly what you pointed-out... we were supposed to be rooting for him above everyone else the moment he stepped onto the hardwood. We're supposed to be glued to our sets every time he does anything, because we should be excited about the idea that he'll help us forget about Jordan. But... the drama isn't there.

I've got news for the media that love hyping-up LeBron through all of this, he ain't MJ. MJ created his path, and eventually dwarfed the likes of Magic and Bird on his journey. He sure overcame a lot, it was NEVER handed to him. And he didn't need to be ghetto or loaded with tattoos to grab your attention. He captured the world's attention by being the perfect basketball player/superhero, and it was worth watching. He played defense as well as he played offense. LBJ will very likely finish with greater overall stats by the time his career is through. I project that he'll top 30,000 points while he's still on the top of his game. He'll do so many astounding things... numbers wise. But that still doesn't make him Jordan. Jordan is the one most responsible for making today's North American sports star what he/she is today.

When I watch LeBron, I'm so impressed by his offensive instincts and his athleticism, and above all else, that he's doing all of this when he be heading into his senior year at college. He's so strong too. His dunks are just pure power. But... has everyone already forgotten how MJ dunked in his heyday? Has anyone EVER played better pissed-off? If anyone can ever get their hands on a copy of "Come Fly With Me", get it! People call Wade "FLASH", but he's half-a-step slower than MJ was at his best. When Jordan used to dunk (in traffic... not wide-open like LBJ), the defenders would set-up, Jordan would dunk, and his defenders were still setting-up. And that was at a time when there was an abundance of pretty darn good defenders in the rough EASTERN CONFERENCE.

Jordan rant over...

Sorta' over. Wade reminds me of Jordan like that. He wasn't chosen 1st overall, but he could have been. He doesn't take nights off (as far as from what I've seen), he works hard on the defensive end (which is nice but he's eons behind MJ in this regard), and he's got that similar passion for the game. I see LeBron's body holding-up for a much longer career, but Wade could have just as many bright moments in his time. It'll be great to watch and see... and yeah, I don't care for them being so buddy-buddy with one another. :rolleyes: They should be hating each other!!! Not forever... just for the next 15-years! ;)

Steed

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back