'JJProdigy' apology

jetset

RIP Brian
UNDERAGE ONLINE POKER CHEAT APOLOGISES

But is it genuine....or an attempt to obviate live tournament confrontations?

The cynical may feel that it's an attempt to avoid embarrassing personal confrontations at live tournaments in the future, but others in more charitable frame of mind might prefer to give Internet poker ace 'JJProdigy' the benefit of the doubt over a public apology for cheating the player has made.

Josh Field, who uses the 'handle' JJProdigy in his numerous online poker adventures, 'fessed up over the weekend to cheating on several major online poker websites. Field was nailed by major sites Poker Stars.com and Party Poker.com for underage multi-accounting some time ago (see previous InfoPowa report) and was banned at both sites, losing his account balances.

Since then he has been associated with several multi-accounting issues, challenging his reputation both on and offline. Field makes the surprising admission that in the beginning he was an immature individual in his mid-teens, unable to handle various online situations in which he became embroiled, and now embarrassed by his cringe-worthy reactions at the time. He claims these encounters forced him to become anonymous, and the Poker Stars and Party Poker debacles added to his problems and, again, were not well handled by him.

"After that, it was a downward spiral. I was a fugitive in the online poker world. I used the reasoning 'if I'm already a wanted man, I might as well maximize my value.' It was terrible logic, but it made sense to me then," he posted over the weekend.

He goes on to explain why he mixed with questionable people, used screen names of people he hardly knew, played on sites from which he had been banned and on occasion suffered the consequences of himself being prejudiced. And he claims it wasn't for the money, but for the love of the game, with which he was selfishly obsessed.

But the deceptions were caught up with him. He reveals: "Accounts were getting closed, people were trying to take money from me, but I kept playing full force. I regret it, but I understand my position."

Fast forward to the present, and Field claims that he has now matured and developed "...a sense of morals and personal ethics. I was always too scared to apologize to the community, mostly due to the fact I didn't think what I was doing was wrong. I finally realize now that I was cheating completely. I neglected my fellow poker players and cheated a wonderful thing we have with online poker. I betrayed a community I cared so much about all for selfish reasons. It shames me to think about it. I did it for so long, and I never had the courage to quit and admit what I was doing was wrong."

Field ends with an apology to the online poker community in general, and especially to those he played against under false pretences and the sites who's facilities he abused; he promises never again to multi-account, and not to play online again until he is 18 years of age!

Field will turn 18 in January 2008 and said in later posts on 2+2 that he will be venturing into live poker tournaments with the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure as well as the Aussie Millions in January.

UNDERAGE ONLINE POKER CHEAT APOLOGISES

But is it genuine....or an attempt to obviate live tournament confrontations?
Field will turn 18 in January 2008 and said in later posts on 2+2 that he will be venturing into live poker tournaments with the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure as well as the Aussie Millions in January.

Once a cheat, always a cheat. If there is a chance to profit, the dregs will resurface. How can Field afford to play in the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure and the Aussie Millions on the wages from his newspaper round?

Playing underage is fine, i wont judge him for that but apparently he is a good player who still feels the need to cheat. That is not for the love of the game. That is for the love of money. He stole a lot of money from circuit pro's.

It's a cycle thats not easy to break. Take a few years out, help the needy, then come back to appologise & play.

I am sure he was just doing it to help out his grandmother:D

Its a good thing he was just doing it for the love of the game instead of for the love of money. He wont even miss the thousands and thousands of $ the poker sites confiscated from him.

The idea of the underage gambling thing sits badly with me - most teenagers don't have the maturity to handle adult pastimes like gambling for money imo and the experts all seem to agree that the younger you start gambling for money (especially under 18) the greater the risk of problems later.

The hot young guns who earn serious amounts of money in international poker tournaments - particularly land events - have become role models for even younger players who possibly don't realise that these guys are the small percentage who succeed in the bigtime. And playing fast and loose with the T&Cs is not acceptable to me either.

Politicians and the religious zealots that want to control everyone else's lives find nourishment in underage contraventions and transgressions like those of this guy, who admits he was dicking around in his mid-teens.

His motives remain questionable, and IMO the tournament sites involved should ban him from playing in their major events as an example of what happens when an integrity challenged youth lacking in common sense tries to frig with restrictions designed to protect him.

Sequel

JJPRODIGY EXCLUDED FROM MAJOR LAND POKER TOURNEY

He may have apologised for past cheating, but teenager Josh Field is not welcome at the Caribbean Adventure

In a sequel to last week's public message board apology by teenaged online poker whizz-kid Josh Field (better known online as 'JJ Prodigy') Poker Stars management has excluded the just 18 year old from its upcoming Poker Stars EPT Carribean Adventure, and by implication other such events.

Field has admitted to cheating through underage multi-accounting at online poker sites including Poker Stars, conduct which has earned him substantial prize money, but also a bad reputation and bans which now appear to extend to live action.

Cynics claimed that the youngster's motivation for posting his apologies last week was to clear the way for his official and legitimate entry into the major tournament field once he had attained the age of eighteen, and this will clearly not happen as far as the Caribbean Adventure is concerned.

The possibility that Field may be playing in live tournaments given his history of deception has triggered extensive comment on Internet poker related message boards.

Most people deserve a second chance. IMO he should steer clear of the internet poker, and stick to land based tournaments. I would also go so far as to say, in the event he might become famous for playing, he should be blacklisted from online poker room endorsement deals.

If he is good enough to play and win straight up, then he should make a comfortable living on the tournament circuit. I doubt he is, and I think he will be a total non-entity in a few months to a year. Just another tournament player, hoping to make it big.

Having been barred from the PCA, Field entered the Aussie Millions but did not shape in his first live tournament event, being eliminated before the money bubble was reached.

However, there's an interesting video of an interview with the youngster at the event here :

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

PokerRoad radio interview with JJ Prodigy

The radio show is
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
. The interview is half an hour in (and the first half hour is fairly poor stuff :)). The whole show is just short of an hour long.

He doesn't sound repentant. Apparently Greg Raymer has spoken out against him (good for Greg Raymer, in my view).

One of the presenters (Gavin Smith I think it is, I could be wrong) appears to say that he multiaccounted too (I may be misinterpreting what he is saying - judge for yourself). And everybody buys other people out when they are deep in tournies, in order to take over and win the money, apparently.

It also seems that one of the big sites that banned Field actually gave him his (or other people's, depending on your point of view) money back, rather than keeping it, too. It's a fairly bleak interview.

How pathetic. The radio station even asking "do you think multi accounting should be allowed?" At least Field is now mixing with company that will show him the ropes when it comes to live cheating.

Calling cheating an additional edge is just wrong Fields. Just because you are not wearing a hooded mask & hiding behind a keyboard doesnt mean you are not stealing.

Multi accounting? He could have easily been sitting at ring game tables gaining almost as much of an edge as Scott Tom of AP. Why does the radio station even question whether multi accounting should be allowed?

This poor picked on cheat has ruined the game for thousands of people who will never trust the online game again, interviewers like that are nothing more than accomplices.

Donate a portion of his winnings to charity? He might think about it? PR wise it is a must. It wasnt winnings, it was theft. Cheating is still against the rules. I have reevaluated my assessment of JJProdigy, maybe he isnt good enough to be a winning player without cheating.

The boy is a cheat, a thief, a scammer & it now looks as if there are others all too ready to take him under their wing. Maybe next time he will avoid getting caught.

Well done to Greg Raymer for having standards. Thumbs down to that radio station for lacking them.

Someone here asked how jjprodigy can afford to play live at aussie millions. He has won many major tournaments playing online, and coached and funded some of the best online players like Sorel "Imper1um" Mizzi. He had cashed in many big wins before getting caught. I agree that you shouldnt play underage. Anyway hes a very good player so im sure he will do well at both online and land, whereever he still can play. He is 18 now...

-kavaman

Someone here asked how jjprodigy can afford to play live at aussie millions. He has won many major tournaments playing online, and coached and funded some of the best online players like Sorel "Imper1um" Mizzi. He had cashed in many big wins before getting caught. I agree that you shouldnt play underage. Anyway hes a very good player so im sure he will do well at both online and land, whereever he still can play. He is 18 now...

-kavaman

That point totally disregards the fact that cheating was involved. The fact that many a decent player has turned their backs on the online game. The fact that it sets a precedent that cheating is an acceptable part of the game. They seem to take a harder stance on bonus abusers. Its difficult to play holdem against someone who has 10 hole cards, A nine year old could probably win enough to get himself to the aussie millions

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back