I MADE A BET!

ironmike67

Dormant account
The weather this summer has been really dry with not too much rain. Therefore it has been quite the challenge to keep my landscaping looking nice. Obviously like many neighborhoods there is always the man who spends hours each day watering his yard, just for the slight chance that the other neighbors will complement his great landscaping techniques. That of course is not me, but I do want to have green grass, instead of yellow, dying grassSo I try watering my yardBut of course I am troubled at trying to determine which time would be the best time to water my yardMorning, afternoon, or at night. I see sprinklers going all day and all nightBut when really is the best time to water your yard. One would think this question would be answered quickly by many people, yet upon asking 7 of my close friends, I received different opinions from each of them. Finally I got pissed off and walked down to the neighbors house who has the perfect yard to ask his opinion He told me in the afternoonI thought to myselfthat cant be right and asked him if he wanted to bet on it. For two weeks, he is only going to water his yard in the afternoon and I will water mine only in the morningThen in two weeks we will compare yards and decide the winner. I know it is only a $50 bet, but I cannot explain to you how frustrating this summer has beenSo Just because Im curious I was wondering your opinion on this matterWHEN REALLY IS THE BEST TIME to water your yard MORNING, AFTERNOON or NIGHT! Someone please fill me in!

The best time of day to water is early morning before the temperatures begin to rise. This gives the plants a good supply of water to face the heat of the day. Early morning also tends to be a time of lower winds and thus reduced evaporation. If watering cannot be done in the early morning, very late afternoon is also ok. It is important to water early enough so that the leaves have time to dry before nightfall to avoid development of fungal diseases. If possible, choose watering methods that will not wet the leaves (such as soaker hoses) and thus allow for late evening watering.

Yeah... I will have to go with the early morning... I really hope I win this bet... So far after 2 days the grass is still yellow, but we shall see!:notworthy

Yeah... I will have to go with the early morning... I really hope I win this bet... So far after 2 days the grass is still yellow, but we shall see!:notworthy

Purple zelda is right Mike. Watering in the morning gives the grass the ability to absorb all of the water.If you water at night you stand the chance of your grass not retaining the water causing some of the roots to rot. I live in florida and have read every lawn and garden book as we have 6 months of draught and 6 months of monsoons.

Did you set any rules? Can you use grass/lawn food?
No, actually we didn't set any rules...Only that I would water in the early a.m. and he in the afternoon...Someone told me to use Turf Pro, I'm really thinking about going and buying some! I will just have to use it when he's not home... Its not cheating...if it was never set in stone as a rule, right?

Crap! If I lived in Florida, my grass would not stand a chance...I would be fucked!

Mike. I'm originally from chicago so I'm sure the grass is the same as I had upnorth. Go and buy scotts turf builder, greens your lawn up pretty quickly. Hope you win!!!!

In Fact

In fact...I really hope that it rains tonight! It is a Friday night and I'm ready to go out drinking...Which means there is no way in hell I am waking up early to water my grass:notworthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back