Gambling firms (inc 32Red & Betfair) used database of 28 million children to boost customer base according to press reports

Good to see the usual hyperbole in the Mail comments section, it's like a streamer thread on crack

"All betting firms need to be demolished"

"These betting firms preying on the vulnerable shouldn't be allowed to exist. Time the people got rid of them"

& the classic

"Because it's Boris in power"
The Daily Mail is literally the worst paper on the planet. They will do a story about Jimmy Saville then underneath have photos of some 14 year old child actress sunbathing in a bikini somewhere on a beach.

‘It is a truth universally acknowledged, that the DM's headlines will always be in possession of incorrect, misleading facts, which must be in want of a good journalist and proof reader." With profuse apologies to Jane Austen.

I also find the comments in particular on many of the articles truly disturbing. It is as if some of these people live in an alternate universe, with alternate facts. Or even when presented with the facts, they simply do not seem to be able to understand/comprehend. Really, really worrying when sometimes there are over 10K likes for a particularly derogatory, uninformed, nasty misogynistic comment.

BUT... the DM does have some great animal articles - admittedly pinched from Bored Panda or Reddit.

But back to the article in question. The headline implies these kids are being targeted by gambling sites, but that does not appear to be accurate. It is the actual verification process that will be simplified as the database in question provides "a fast and cost effective way of verifying the ages of young online customers claiming to be 18 or over."

Among the comments threatening death and destruction to the gambling industry, there appears to be at least one voice of reason which I agree with: "I must of read that wrong as I read the gambling companies used the data to confirm that the children were under 18 when those children tried to pretend they were over 18 and thus then refuse them access? If that is the case surely that's a good thing??

Good to see the usual hyperbole in the Mail comments section, it's like a streamer thread on crack

"All betting firms need to be demolished"

"These betting firms preying on the vulnerable shouldn't be allowed to exist. Time the people got rid of them"

& the classic

"Because it's Boris in power"

Yeah, I despair how thick and gullible some people can be.

Clickbait from DM. :rolleyes:

The more people visit and read, the higher the rates for their adverts go. And the site is plastered with them.

Clickbait from DM. :rolleyes:

The more people visit and read, the higher the rates for their adverts go. And the site is plastered with them.
What this Daily Mail? The same one that runs a story attacking the gambling industry, with a lovely 888 advert above the fold? That Daily Mail?mailadvert.png

I laughed when reading the article, journalism isn't the same as it used to be. All are keen in clickbait headlines, only a few apply proper jounalism techniques.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back