EU may challenge U.S. online gambling law

jerryg

Dormant account
EU may challenge U.S. online gambling law: McCreevy

January 30, 2007

U.S. restrictions on online gambling may be challenged by the European Union, the bloc's top financial regulator said on Tuesday.

"In my view it is probably a restrictive practice and we might take it up in another fora," EU Internal Market Commissioner Charlie McCreevy told the European Parliament.

The United States was protecting its own gambling industry by stopping foreign companies from entering the online betting sector, McCreevy said.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Latest

BRUSSELS, Jan 30 (Reuters) - U.S. restrictions on online gambling may be challenged by the European Union, the bloc's top financial regulator said on Tuesday.

The legality of Internet gambling in the United States was ambiguous for many years, but it was effectively banned last October when U.S. President George W. Bush signed legislation outlawing financial transactions for gaming.

Several British online gambling firms were forced out of the U.S. market as a result.

"In my view it is probably a restrictive practice and we might take it up in another fora," EU Internal Market Commissioner Charlie McCreevy told the European Parliament.

The United States was protecting its own gambling industry by stopping foreign companies from entering the online betting sector, McCreevy said.

"It's not my intention to bring forward a harmonised piece of legislation on gambling in the European Union," McCreevy added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back