Dumb Question...

Flizzin

Wants your jackpot
What does the "PAT" in PAT Royal mean ?

I see this term used all the time. I get the idea that its a dealt royal but what does that "PAT" stand for ?

It means it's been dealt straight in and there was no need to exchange any cards to obtain it. (video poker for instance)
Odds of being dealt a pat royal are something like 625 000/1 I think from memory. There's around 2 and a half million different 5 card poker hands from a 52 card deck and only 4 of them are royal flushes so it's about 625 000/1
I just figured it out and it's actually 1 in 649 740 ie pretty unlikely but I had have it happen on video poker once :) (pity I wasn't playing a huge bet on a power poker though) :(

Thanks, but how do they derive that acronym from receiving a dealt hand ?

I don't think it's an acronym. The expression is also used in other similar stituations like when playing draw poker, if you decline an exchange of cards you are said to "stand pat".
If it actually is an acronym someone please correct me !

Thanks, but how do they derive that acronym from receiving a dealt hand ?

think its got something to do with st Patrick and some snakes a few years ago....you hold your cards or "stand Firm " you know all these snakes an he stood there and shooed them away ...and i think the locals called him Pat.

its true i tell you....

Yes, that's one of it's meanings.

. stand pat, a. to cling or hold firm to one's decision, policy, or beliefs: The government must stand pat in its policy.
b. Poker. to play a hand as dealt, without drawing other cards.

Words/phrases often have more than one meaning or use though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back