Charles Byrnes banned for 6 months by the IHRB for doping scandal

colinsunderland

RIP Colin
Charles Byrnes is pretty well known for the 'dubious' betting patterns around his runners at time, but was banned yesterday by the IHRB for a horse testing positive for a sedative. Charles Byrnes wasn't implicated in actually admistrating the drug, but at best had a lack of care by allowing the horse to be left alone.

3 times the horse ran, 3 times it drifted badly in the market, and 3 times ran like it only had 3 legs.

The big question for me in all this, is the role of Betfair. The sums involved weren't particularly big (although if this happened once a day it would add up to quite a payday), but the bets were placed by a Ltd company which seems to be pretty anonymous. From the IHRB ruling:

Mr Buckley added that all three of these lay bets had been traced through the Betfair exchange to the same account number.These lay bets were initially placed with a limited liability company, which placed them in turn with Betfair, on what appeared to be a combined basis with other such bets. The Committee was surprised to hear that such a mechanism is possible, as it could hinder identification of the possible beneficiaries of lay betting. Mr Buckley identified an individual known to be associated with the combined account. He is based in a distant part of the world and was said to be associated with match fixing and associated betting in connection with other sports. There is no evidence to connect Mr Byrnes with these betting patterns, but they are part of the full and relevant context to the events of 18 October 2018 at Tramore and informed the subsequent investigation into those events.

Now I'm sorry, but if I get a SoW for £50 in deposits, then how come Betfair can accept bets of (preumably) millions without knowing where the bets are coming from. I seriously hope the UKGC look into this, as how can they possibly know where the funds are coming from?

I also think all bets should be void on horses in situations like this, and if unusual betting patterns identified, then the accounts banned. Clearly in this case the ltd co facilitated the betting, they should be banned from Betfair, along with the directors.

The full ruling is below

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

100% correct and right.

Firstly. Byrnes reputation here in the south of Ireland is that of an utter gangster as I said in the other thread. He deserves whatever is thrown at him.

Secondly and more importantly you are correct
I tried to put 50each way on a 100/1 for ladies tennis at the Australian open monday. With paddy power. I got a pop up message saying to contact support as max liability they would lay was 12.50each way.

No this is pennies compared to what those boys are matching bets for. Yet PP (which is owned by the same group as Betfair I believe) can use software to produce a pop up bet limiter on my webpage then why is this not the same for Betfair exchanges. I understand how exchanges work and the quick moving volatility of market. That cant be there excuse for not having the software available to stop such goings on happening though.

I have no doubt that there is a lot of fixing going on in all sports despite it being known about and investigated for decades. Is this the same trainer who took over the only phonebox at a meeting in order to manipulate the betting on one of his horses? Probably not.
Sports betting can be so easily manipulated these days. Despite sports men and women being banned from betting on events that they are directly involved with it is so easy to get another to put bets on on their behalf. Red cards,yellow cards,distance won on strong faves,whatever.

Nothing new part of the charm for me.

I remember getting info on a 3 or 4 runner race, involved nicky Richards and Alan swinbank. One of them was set up manipulated the market and lose just so they could get 5/4 or something instead of it being 1/3

Nothing new part of the charm for me.

I remember getting info on a 3 or 4 runner race, involved nicky Richards and Alan swinbank. One of them was set up manipulated the market and lose just so they could get 5/4 or something instead of it being 1/3
I don't ever bet on the dogs but back in the day I was best mates with a guy who's family where of gypsy decent and his father owned a greyhound breeding kennel in Surrey. Manipulating dogs performance was rife. Is it the same today?

I don't ever bet on the dogs but back in the day I was best mates with a guy who's family where of gypsy decent and his father owned a greyhound breeding kennel in Surrey. Manipulating dogs performance was rife. Is it the same today?
Not so much at the BAGS/BEGS tracks, but it is at the smaller tracks, well at the few that are left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back