50,000 BitTorrent users sued for alleged illegal downloads

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

By Julianne Pepitone @CNNMoneyTech June 10, 2011: 5:24 AM ET

Nearly 50,000 users of BitTorrent's peer-to-peer downloading software have been targeted in a sting over the past few months, accused of illegally downloading one of two movies.

Voltage Pictures, the studio behind 2009's The Hurt Locker, is suing almost 25,000 BitTorrent users who allegedly illegally downloaded the flick. That came just weeks after 23,000 were sued for downloading The Expendables, produced by Nu Image.

Both of the lawsuits were filed in federal court in Washington, D.C., by the U.S. Copyright Group, an outfit formed by Washington-based law firm Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver. The group filed its Expendables lawsuit in February, then followed with its Hurt Locker lawsuit in April.

"They're copyright trolls," says Corynne McSherry, intellectual ....

They actually got sued, or the host got sued, or is it just they case that a few threatening letters where sent?

They actually got sued, or the host got sued, or is it just they case that a few threatening letters where sent?

As best I can tell from what I've been reading on the net, 50,000 users got a nasty letter... pay up or go to court.

From the article linked in my post above...

As TorrentFreak, the first blog to report on the Locker case, points out: If only 10,000 of the alleged infringers pay a $2,000 settlement, it would net $20 million for Voltage and USCG. In comparison, The Hurt Locker grossed $17 million at the U.S. box office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back