South Australian Government Seeks Ban On E-sports Betting

Independent Gambling Authority has been directed not to approve betting on computer game sporting events

The South Australian government is earning itself something of a reputation for conservatism when it comes to gambling; in addition to pioneering the imposition of a p.o.c. tax on online operators it has not directed its Independent Gambling Authority not to approve betting on eSports competitions, according to a report on 9News.
The provincial government is concerned that underage players might be vulnerable and persuaded to get into gambling, the report notes.
So far the Northern Territory is the only Australian jurisdiction which allows such gambling to take place, but there are attempts to formally legalise the popular pastime in provinces across Australia, one report claims.
South Australia's Consumer and Business Affairs Minister John Rau said Friday he advised the Independent Gambling Authority to reject betting on computer gaming sporting events.
"Children are particularly vulnerable to the attraction of gambling on sporting contests conducted on the platform of video games," Rau said. "The Government is determined to keep our children cyber-safe. We do not want them to be introduced to gambling under the guise of a game."
The announcement comes as the city of Adelaide prepares to host the Australia's largest Mario Kart competition at the Adelaide Arena this weekend.
A SA government spokesman said that there was little research available on the potential dangers of eSports gambling, but that the government would continue to encourage the use of educational games as opposed to those that promoted betting.

Online Casino News Courtesy of Infopowa