UConn women finish 40-0, win record ninth NCAA championship

BingoT

Nurses love to give shots
WTG Girls Congrats

UConn women finish 40-0, win record ninth NCAA championship
For the second straight night, Storrs, Conn. is the center of the college basketball world.

One night after the UConn men won their fourth national title, Geno Auriemma's women's squad battered and bruised their way to a record ninth program championship with a 79-58 victory over Notre Dame, winning the first-ever championship game between two undefeated programs, men or women. Auriemma, whose team finished 40-0, now has one more than legendary Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, and, combining the men and women, UConn improved its mind-numbing record to 13-0 in championship games.

"I'm probably one of the luckiest people in the coaching profession because I get to coach players like Stephanie [Dolson] and Bria [Hartley]," Auriemma said to ESPN, before tearing up. "Yeah, I get to coach guys like that, and that's why we can do what we do. ... To see their faces [as seniors] when they walked off the court, I don't usually get this emotional, but this one got me."

It's the fifth time the Huskies have won a title with an unblemished record and just the eighth undefeated championship season in women's NCAA history. The last was Baylor, which finished 40-0 in 2012.

By Mike Singer | CBSSports.

They've gone undefeated three out of the last six years. Their record for that time is 222-11

There's no such thing as a sure bet, but the women's Huskies basketball team is as close as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back