Empire Poker account closings?

Aindreas_Daoc

Dormant account
Over at the 2+2 internet forums there are discussions of dozen of Empire Poker account closures for apparently no good reason, and without explanation. Seems to be either related to taking advantage of too many bonuses, or to having accounts at both Empire Poker and Party Poker, but I can't be sure, since some people that got locked seem to not fall in either category.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

There are other threads about this as well, so look around in the Internet forum if you're interested.

Aindreas_Daoc said:
Over at the 2+2 internet forums there are discussions of dozen of Empire Poker account closures for apparently no good reason, and without explanation. Seems to be either related to taking advantage of too many bonuses, or to having accounts at both Empire Poker and Party Poker, but I can't be sure, since some people that got locked seem to not fall in either category.

There are other threads about this as well, so look around in the Internet forum if you're interested.

The Party network has engaged in some bizarre behaviour lately. From the rabid resistance against rakeback to this.

I think Empire are closing accounts of bonuswhores, ie people who for a long time have had a negative MGR. I think they are very clumsy in doing so, since they refuse to tell the customers why the accounts are being closed. It would be much better to be honest about it (or even better start with account specific bonuses instead of general reloads).

dominique said:
My guess would be that this is tied in to the rake back issue.

Your guess is wrong. It is those that have used a lot of reload bonuses without giving non-bonus action that are banned.
. And their vague talk about "suspicious and wrongful behaviour" turned out to be nonsense. People have been using bonuses Empire has offered. Nothing strange about that.

Party are stupid in going after rakeback. Most who have rakeback play a massive amount of hands. Pissing off your high volume players isn't very smart, especially since the games at Prima and Crypto are at least as soft these days. And both those networks have nothing against rakeback.

Last edited:
Freudian said:
And both those networks have nothing against rakeback.

Prima is quite divided on the issue. Many rooms think that the room should offer the incentive, not the affiliate. I agree. The room should offer it and make it available to everyone upon signing up.

Party is stopping rakeback that is offered by affiliates. They are planning a very agressive program with incentives to individual players from what I hear. I don't think they will be losing any large players.

The issue is not whether there should be rake back (or an incentive by another name accomplishing the same thing), the issue is simply who will pay for it.

The entire thing is unlikely to affect players, except by making the incentives available without having to go through a second party.

Last edited:
It seems that an Empire rep made an appearance over at the 2+2 forums and basically explained that the "fraud" that people were accused of commiting was in fact "bonus abusing".

Naturally, calling this "fraud" is rediculous. However, no monies are going to be seized, and of course Empire has the right to allow whomever they want to play or not play on their site.

However, the way this was handled was incredibly poor:

Sending e-mails to players that their accounts were closed because of "fradulent and wrongful practices" without any detailed explanation, and letting the storm brew over various poker forums. They could've handled this much more professionally.

In addition, the locking of the accounts is a stupid solution. They could've better solved the problem by simply increasing the bonus requirements such that the bonus will be covered by the rake. Or better yet, by offering targetted bonuses (they even already have a system for this). That way the regular players do not have to panic over the seemingly heavy handed and random treatment, the bonus whores will not hold a grudge (you know what they say: a satsified customer will tell 2-3 friends, a disatisfied customer will tell 20), and they could've avoided this PR fiasco.

dominique said:
Party is stopping rakeback that is offered by affiliates. They are planning a very agressive program with incentives to individual players from what I hear. I don't think they will be losing any large players.

I am not holding my breath for that to happen, considering how absolutely horrible Partys point system is today. Will it even come close to getting 25%+ back on rake that for many exceeds $10k/month? I doubt that very much.

Party aligning themselves too much with low level affiliates will come back and bite them big time, is my prediction. They should listen more to the players that give them a huge volyme day in and day out. That a banner farm, forum spammer etc get 30% of a players rake over the lifetime of an account is absurd, especially if the player get 0%.

Rakeback is simply finding a solution that benefits affiliates that have a good relationship with players, the players themselves and the poker network who get a massive amount of play.

It's taken a week and two chasers to get the following, but this is what Empire Poker spokesman Elay De Beer has to say about the closures in a response received today:

QUOTE: For your information, Empire Poker management decided to close accounts of few inactive players, who chose not to play on empire at all, but constantly claimed its bonuses. All blocked accounts were chosen through very restricted ruling to prevent any active player from being harmed.

Empire Poker is known for its generous bonuses, FreeRolls and prize adding for long now. Empire does not appreciate players who take advantage of this generosity and chose to show up only to cash bonuses.

Each of the accounts closed, seemed to act according to the above and therefore was closed. However, we would like to inform that any cash that players had in their account balance was cashed out by Empire directly back to the players.

Empire Poker will take all necessary steps to prevent players from playing only for bonuses on its tables, while keeping its active players satisfied and rewarded for their play through the VIP program, Royal Flush Club, reload bonuses, Tournament Masters program etc. UNQUOTE

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back