Must Read Cheating "SuperUser" at GG Poker - player banned.

Must read this

Valhalla

Ueber Meister
This story is just breaking the last day or so - a user by the name of MoneyTaker69 has been accused of being a superuser much like the infamous POTRIPPER from the well known Absolute/Ultimate scandal from 15(?) years ago.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Guy has an absurd win rate much like POTRIPPER, playing extremely loose and aggressive and winning tens of thousands of dollars in the process.
Interesting to see how this plays out, but it's a story GGPoker certainly didn't need -the user has been banned and had nearly £30,000 confiscated.

In the statement, GGPoker says that through the use of the 'Thumbs Up/Down Table Reaction' feature, "Moneytaker69" had been able to customize the game client, alter game packets and intercept network traffic.

:eek2:

With online poker the more likely scenario is that the opponents are hacked. In general people's online hygiene is very poor. Many tools and overlays, especially free ones probably have malware in them.
So the villian can know your live hole cards.

The smart villains exploit it, the less subtle ones get caught.

Use caution when online, scammers and cheaters are everywhere.

Apparently they had manipulated the software in a way that they were given the all-in probability each time for anyone they were up against. As a result they could comfortably guess the opponent hand strength.

It wasn’t quite like POTRIPPER who could see all hole cards. Not that that makes it any less outrageous.

That is a shocking lapse of security testing and game integrity.

I remember when ggpoker first came into the limelight a few years ago, there were a "jaded" vocal minority who warned about their past conduct and understandably were concerned the company were trying to rebrand to shake off their past.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
(surfaced on the triggering 2+2 thread) was published eleven months ago suggesting their security wasn't up to scratch - he demonstrated that core communications were unencrypted, chat messages were leaking real names, and clients were not doing sufficient validation on the data (e.g. a client would believe a tampered message that a player had folded, when they had not).

Clearly someone decided to try the "what if" and started ripping apart the client and found a lot more than they bargained for. When a security lapse as the one mentioned at the start of 2023 happens, a prudent operator would realise their security is not up to scratch and do an extensive and external audit. That we are nearly a year on and they've been caught with their trousers down again is pretty damning. Their attempts to throw Adobe Air under the bus - a product which was sunset in 2019 - is laughable.

The 2+2 community have been throwing up a list of accounts they suspect may be doing similar - accounts winning 25bb/100 to 35bb/100 over 10k+ hands where 2bb/100 to 5bb/100 is the norm, frequently stopping in the 10k-20k hand range perhaps to avoid detection. Anyone who believes this is a single isolated account would be incredibly naïve - it's much more likely this was someone trying to expose the exploit so they wanted to get caught...

It's frustrating that ggpoker are trying to downplay it by mentioning hole cards weren't exposed - that's irrelevant and gaslighting the community, because the equity not only provides a way to backsolve for approximate ranges (good enough), but with that information you don't need hole cards because you can play binary poker based on the equity calculation... you'd have bad beats but you would never need to put the money in bad.

The next few weeks are going to be very interesting, particularly as their initial response has been so poor. Also to close, a PSA:
Any funds you deposit with the Company will be held in a segregated bank account in the name of the Company. The funds in the segregated account are not protected in the event of insolvency. This meets the Gambling Commission’s requirements for the segregation of customer funds at the level: Not protected.

Interesting to see how this plays out, but it's a story GGPoker certainly didn't need -the user has been banned and had nearly £30,000 confiscated.
GGPoker quoted $29,795 - an educated guess would be this was the amount that they could recover as the actual number will be much higher (there's already more than $60k identified). The more important question is how many accounts were doing this... it's obviously not one, and could have been going on for months at this point. If this turns out to have been an organised syndicate being exposed by a white hat (an ethical hacker), I wouldn't be surprised if the final number is over a million dollars.

Last edited:
@jasonuk - I'd say you're probably right.

Mercifully, I closed my account at GGPoker a while back (maybe a year or so ago).
I was always a bit bemused by the way some players were playing against me; the calls they would make didn't make sense - I'd be bluffing and get caught by someone who had slightly better junk and had "no right calling that" in my mind. It was annoying but I just closed my account and thought no more about it at the time (I'm not a pro and assumed I just had a lot to learn).
Now I was only playing as high as 10/25NL so hardly fortunes, but it does make me wonder now if there are people skimming money at all levels across the GGP network, perhaps I ran into them occasionally, who knows. If you have a bunch of players earning a few dollars here and there at all levels - flying under the radar - it wouldn't take long for large sums of money to build up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back