The Queen is dead - long live the King

From WWII service to end of Empire, creation of Commonwealth and 15 Prime Ministers from Churchill to Truss. Irreplacable, it will seem odd her not being around as if you're 70 or under she's always been there. We knew it was coming, but it's still a big shock.

sad.jpg

I remember being outside of Buckingham palace in the 90's when the Queen and Nelson Mandela were waiving at the crowd as they left the palace. I was there with my family and was so excited the queen drove past literally 5-6 meters away waving at me and my family as we watched them leave.

R.I.P To a Loyal and honest lady!

Sad day for us crumpet munchers :(

It's a shame she lived to witness what a shit-show the UK has become in the last 5 years. Add to that Russia being at war with Ukraine, climate change, cost of living, the remnants of COVID, Prince Andrew's alleged noncery...she leaves a troubled world behind.

Fair play to her though - a terrific innings, still fulfilling engagements well into her 90's. Not bad, is it? Hard act to follow.

God bless her, and may she rest in peace.

1662666371472.png

Just my condolences to my English cousins here in the UK. 8 out of 9 folks today were born during her reign (to include me <gasp>), and it's the end of an era. She was a magnificent woman and a true servant to the public. She's an impossible act to follow - but best of luck to King Charles (sounds weird doesn't it?).

TBH, as Canadians, we.....dont much give a toss (in principle) regarding the monarchy.
However, face on bills....and well, we grew up with it, and arent keen tossing it out. It works here.
And, the woman, from all accounts, seemed a pretty stellar person.
RIP QE II

The monarch is head of state in automatically in UK territories and dependencies like Gibraltar, Channel Islands, Falklands, IoM, Ascension, St. Helena, Tristan da Cunha, Diego Garcia (Chagos Islands) plus a few Pacific Islands. Independent ones are: Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, the Bahamas, Belize (British Honduras), Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea, St Christopher and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, New Zealand, Solomon Islands, Tuvalu.

Ulster Bank, Bank of Scotland etc. don't have the monarch on notes only coins, but Bank of England notes and coins for Wales/England do. Any stamps, coins and notes will have Charles III facing left as opposed to QEII who faced right as the direction alternates between monarchs. Badges on military kit will be changed as well as the police uniforms which have E II R on them at present. As said earlier, passports will change and so will a few words of the National Anthem.

It will take some getting used to, dawn of a new era.

Ulster Bank, Bank of Scotland etc. don't have the monarch on notes only coins, but Bank of England notes and coins for Wales/England do. Any stamps, coins and notes will have Charles III facing left as opposed to QEII who faced right as the direction alternates between monarchs. Badges on military kit will be changed as well as the police uniforms which have E II R on them at present. As said earlier, passports will change and so will a few words of the National Anthem.

And then there are the mail boxes. It's a small side hobby of mine to mentally note the old red postal boxes. Most of which are marked with E R II, but it's always interesting spotting ones with GR or ER VII. I've always hoped to spot a VR - those are pretty rare I suppose. There are quite a few GR boxes around where I am at at the mo'.

Now the new ones will have C R III. Traditions and regalia can be fascinating.

cast-iron-royal-mail-post-box.jpg

And then there are the mail boxes. It's a small side hobby of mine to mentally note the old red postal boxes. Most of which are marked with E R II, but it's always interesting spotting ones with GR or ER VII. I've always hoped to spot a VR - those are pretty rare I suppose. There are quite a few GR boxes around where I am at at the mo'.

Now the new ones will have C R III. Traditions and regalia can be fascinating.

View attachment 172277
There are quite a few VR boxes but these tend to be smaller ones in walls, mainly in big cities.
Royal Mail add very few boxes annually unless a new estate of houses is built which require one. You've got a few VR around; East Claydon, Aylesbury Station etc.

vrbox.jpg

That it will as she has always been there, from our National Anthem, to times of crisis, to our everyday lives, such as her face on our stamps and money.

I do not consider myself a Royalist nor a Republican, but like many Brits, woke this morning with a heavy heart. Charles has massive shoes he is going to have to try and fill.

😢

The BBC have put together an interesting article here
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
which goes into detail about what will happen with regards the 'Royal Rebranding'.

I haven't bought an actual newspaper for what seems time immemorial, but today I will be making an exception, that is if there are any left. Something to keep and hand down to my kids and their kids. As this is a monumental moment in modern British History unfolding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back