General Election 2019 thread

A reminder that the next Prime Minister of the UK will be chosen by around 200,000 wealthy pensioners.
That is because we do not elect a President, we elect a parliamentary party to form a government. The Prime Minister is the de facto leader of said governing parliamentary party. Another reason as to why Johnson should go now and not hang onto Sept, with an interim PM put in position at number 10.

As for your assertion regards who makes up the Conservative Party membership. Falsehood I am afraid, hence groups such as Young Conservatives etc are well supported.

That is because we do not elect a President, we elect a parliamentary party to form a government. The Prime Minister is the de facto leader of said governing parliamentary party. Another reason as to why Johnson should go now and not hang onto Sept, with an interim PM put in position at number 10.

As for your assertion regards who makes up the Conservative Party membership. Falsehood I am afraid, hence groups such as Young Conservatives etc are well supported.

More than half of Tory party members are over 60, most live in the South and 97% of them are white.

A reminder that the next Prime Minister of the UK will be chosen by around 200,000 wealthy pensioners.
I notice you removed the word 'racist' now before 'pensioners'.

I must admit it's a great spectacle watching the local pensioners here arrive en masse on their motability scooters and Ford Fiestas at the village hall on Tuesdays and Thursdays 09:30 for the National Action whist drive and Combat 18 coffee morning respectively.

I think @ChopleyIOM thinks we are like the Little Britain in the shires.....

So as the leadership contenders fall over themselves to be the biggest tax cutter (they all seem to be going for Corporation Tax, which of course is a tax paid by businesses, not people, in case you're wondering who they'll be looking after), Truss reveals a plan to put the UK's Covid debt on a 'longer term footing' (i.e. refinance it), which will be eye-wateringly expensive in the long term.

As per the videos I linked the other day, the UK's Covid debt is basically £450bn of new money that the Bank of England printed, and then the government transferred it to the rich via the furlough scheme.

Just so we're clear, at a time when ordinary people are suffering the highest tax burden since the 1940s, the Tory leadership contenders all want to cut taxes for businesses (the rich), and Truss's big plan is to saddle the taxpayer with a huge debt that'll stretch out long into the future, for which Mr and Mrs Average Taxpayer will pick up the tab, whilst the rich and super rich just get to keep everything that they amassed during Covid.

(Also, by the way, tax cuts are inflationary.)

1657531700527.png

Well, she did try to force the smile at the beginning, but likely just fell under the weight of her own lies, as she spouts her vision for a return to traditional Conservative values, i.e low(ered) taxation after having raised taxes, and retaining the party's core principles of carrying on Boris' vision!

1657548109502.gif

In Truss we, err, trust! Cheers Elizabeth!

The bigger problem is that none of the contenders seem to have any idea about how disastrous their economic plans are.

A great explainer here (from a guy who is an actual economist):

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

1657551112872.png

Some detailed and powerful arguments from some members in this thread, riddled with facts and historical points to back their arguments, but I wonder if you guys, @dunover and @ChopleyIOM , can agree on an answer to the following:

What is a woman? :)
A person who may, or may not have, a penis?

What do i win?

Some detailed and powerful arguments from some members in this thread, riddled with facts and historical points to back their arguments, but I wonder if you guys, @dunover and @ChopleyIOM , can agree on an answer to the following:

What is a woman? :)
One born with a minge who later becomes capable of conception. Unless my biology lessons were all wrong.

So, it's been set in stone, as announced by the 1922 Committee, that we're to have a new PM announced by 5th September. Though with Parliament set to disband for their Summer holidays on the 21st of July, I'd expect them to have named their leader before then, surely?

Biggest quandary will be seeing if Priti Patel's set to stand, as an - to quote the Daily Mail - 'Immigration Hardliner' :laugh:

Best tip, Priti: 'don't'

Just so we're clear about how all the leadership candidates (with the honourable exception of Rishi) banging on about massive (uncosted and inflationary) tax cuts is totally batshit, here's former Conservative chancellor Ken Clarke calling the plans 'populist nonsense'.

(And linking into what I posted yesterday from Richard Murphy about how the plans are economically incoherent -
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
)

I have to interject on this thread as I have a serious question to ask of everyone.

Are you all "Ready for Rishi" ?

In fairness RIshi is the only one who's being serious about tax cuts being unaffordable at the moment, as all the others try to out-loony each other with promises of cutting taxes (for businesses and the rich!) to the tune of tens of billions of pounds.

Remember the tax burden on individuals at the moment is the highest it's been since the 1940s, and this is after twelve years of Tory rule.

Last edited:
Spending hundreds of billions on furlough during the pandemic had nothing to do with it then?

They transferred hundreds of billions to the rich via furlough and now have no interest whatsoever in getting any of it back via a wealth tax.

So, you are saying millions of ordinary people did not receive Furlough payments? Or are your talking about the Bounce Back Loans and Grants provided to businesses?

No I'm not, please either go back and read the posts from over the weekend, or spend 13 minutes watching that video :)

(Not being rude but I'm not typing it all out again, and the chap in the video explains it clearly and succinctly.)

Was he not the same ex-trader who made millions from Brown's quantitative easing money injections too, before discovering a conscience and embarrassedly deciding it was all wrong? :laugh: :laugh:

He made a fortune for Citibank, and several million for himself, in the wake of the 2008 global financial crash, he subsequently decided he could no longer continue to act in a manner that actively contributed to wealth inequality, and has now dedicated his life to fighting it, and to try and improve things for tens of millions of ordinary people across the UK. He also openly advocates for a taxation policy that would result in him paying more tax.

Note he's 'only' worth a few million quid, I've never heard an exact number but I suspect somewhere around £5m, there are people with tens and hundred of millions, billions of pounds in wealth who manage to pretty much evade paying any significant amount of tax whatsoever.

At the same time as Mr Average Joe is told he has to suck up the highest personal tax rates since the 1940s because government is short of cash.

He made a fortune for Citibank, and several million for himself, in the wake of the 2008 global financial crash, he subsequently decided he could no longer continue to act in a manner that actively contributed to wealth inequality, and has now dedicated his life to fighting it, and to try and improve things for tens of millions of ordinary people across the UK. He also openly advocates for a taxation policy that would result in him paying more tax.

Note he's 'only' worth a few million quid, I've never heard an exact number but I suspect somewhere around £5m, there are people with tens and hundred of millions, billions of pounds in wealth who manage to pretty much evade paying any significant amount of tax whatsoever.

At the same time as Mr Average Joe is told he has to suck up the highest personal tax rates since the 1940s because government is short of cash.
Funny how these people discover a conscience AFTER they've fed from the trough. Kinda like a wealthy affiliate proclaiming that gambling is all wrong....

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back