And now for something completely different!

I used to have a border collie named Mad Max. There was a butcher shop near where I lived and they put out this sandwich board on the sidewalk outside to advertise any specials or whatever. The board was about 5 feet tall and cutout and painted in the shape of a pig standing on its hind legs wearing an apron and a chef hat (weird I know) and Max absolutely HATED that thing. He'd growl and snap and lunge at it, even if we were walking on the other side of the street, and even after we'd passed it he was constantly looking back over his shoulder like he was expecting it to come after him. lol, it also was holding a cleaver, maybe that was his problem.

He also used to get annoyed at loaves of bread if I accidentally left one on the counter.

Kinda makes you wonder what's really going on in their heads when they do crazy stuff like that.

I used to have a border collie named Mad Max. There was a butcher shop near where I lived and they put out this sandwich board on the sidewalk outside to advertise any specials or whatever. The board was about 5 feet tall and cutout and painted in the shape of a pig standing on its hind legs wearing an apron and a chef hat (weird I know) and Max absolutely HATED that thing. He'd growl and snap and lunge at it, even if we were walking on the other side of the street, and even after we'd passed it he was constantly looking back over his shoulder like he was expecting it to come after him. lol, it also was holding a cleaver, maybe that was his problem.

He also used to get annoyed at loaves of bread if I accidentally left one on the counter.

Kinda makes you wonder what's really going on in their heads when they do crazy stuff like that.

:lolup: My dog barks at anybody who has bags on wheels like suitcases and such. Sometimes he barks at my shadow. He will also bark at his toy if he drops it. I'd love to know what goes on in his crazy little head. Cute story about Mad Max:)

It almost seems like the dog from this story was trying to herd those cars by nipping at their tires. I saw a video once and the guy said when his border collie didn't have any sheep or cows to herd, she would try to herd ants!

Jake (my dog now) is also part border collie so he's a bit bonkers too but he's mellower now that he's elderly.

It almost seems like the dog from this story was trying to herd those cars by nipping at their tires. I saw a video once and the guy said when his border collie didn't have any sheep or cows to herd, she would try to herd ants!

Jake (my dog now) is also part border collie so he's a bit bonkers too but he's mellower now that he's elderly.

Dogs are so much fun! They give us so much affection and entertainment and all they ask for in return are lots of belly rubs. I love my dog more than I love most people:D

Friend moved to the country and took in a farmer's old border collie, probably around 10 years old at that time. The dog had an old injury (stepped on by a bull in the past) which left him with a limp and with aging, arthritis. Well, the dog was miserable. She thought he was sick, vet visits showed nothing wrong except the usual for an old dog. I told her he needed animals around. He didn't know what 'retired' meant.

First she got a few laying hens and had a little coop built for them. Then she began feeding the stray cats. She had probably 4 of her own already. At any rate... Every evening, just before dark, that old dog 'herded' the hens to the coop for the night. Every morning and evening he rounded up the cats and 'herded' them to the back porch for their meals. It was a trip to watch him try to herd cats. LOL ...but dang it, once the cats got the routine figured out, and learned he was their buddy (even though no person could touch the feral cats) they went right along with it. That dog would fight to the death to guard his 'herds' from any critter. Over the years he ran off foxes, and raccoons, wild dogs, dragged away 'possums (they're too stupid to run), etc. He lived to be 20 years old. She called me when he died and I helped her bury him... both of us crying like babies the entire time.

Border collies are one of the most intelligent breeds. Sometimes they are truly remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back