Required Individual Obesity Ratings all Americans

felicie

Dormant account
Submitted by KC Kelly Ph.D. on 2010-07-16

All Americans, by 2014 will be required to have an individual obesity rating electronically recorded. It has been determined that under the new health stimulus law passed by President Barack Obama recently, that all Americans, by 2014, will be required to have electronic health records which will include their height, weight and body mass index (BMI).

BMI is a formula that calculates ones body measurements, including height and weight, in order to come up with an individual obesity rating. Calculation of BMI is the preferred method of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for measuring obesity and coming up with an obesity rating, which is the measure of a person’s body fat percentage.

Regina Benjamin, the U.S. Surgeon Genera stated that according to the CDC, “BMI provides a reliable indicator of body fatness for most people and is used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems.”

America has been criticized for being a nation that actually promotes obesity and hence leads American's to have health issues. The new health regulation also stipulates that the electronic records, including BMI will be able to quickly send individual health records as public health data to state and federal health agencies such as the HHS and the CDC.

The new obesity-rating regulation will be enforced in every American's electronic health record. The regulation states that it must, “Calculate body mass index. Automatically calculate and display body mass index (BMI) based on a patient’s height and weight.” In addition, these electronic health records will be available for viewing on a national exchange. Seems a bit invasive, say many, but there will be security measures in place on these electronic records to try to help with privacy.

The 2009 economic stimulus law, already in place, has made some additions. The most major; this new regulation and requirement for obesity ratings within electronic records. This is the government's first step towards adopting a new universal requirement for electronic health records (EHRs) by 2014.

Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Dr. David Blumenthal, the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology for Health and Human Services (HHS), shared on Tuesday that under the stimulus law, health care providers, including doctors and hospitals, must establish "meaningful use" of EHRs by 2014 in order to qualify for federal subsidies. If they do not comply, they will risk getting penalized in the form of diminished Medicare and Medicaid payments.

As outlined in Section 3001 of the stimulus law, it reads, "The National Coordinator shall, in consultation with other appropriate Federal agencies (including the National Institute of Standards and Technology), update the Federal Health IT Strategic Plan (developed as of June 3, 2008) to include specific objectives, milestones, and metrics with respect to the following: (i) The electronic exchange and use of health information and the enterprise integration of such information.‘‘(ii) The utilization of an electronic health record for each person in the United States by 2014."

And they can kiss their own big fat bum on that one! :mad: :)

This is one of those....wtf??? things. What about people that have a medical disorder that causes obesity, and the person can't do anything about it? I know quite a few people that have glandular problems or whatnot, and no matter how few calories they take in per day or how much they exercise, they cannot lose the weight.

And yes, they can bite my shiny metal ass....errr, wait, sorry, that's Futurama speaking. :p

bite_my_shiny_metal_ass_by_red_flare.jpg

:D

Aint giving up my snack cakes, no way in hell.........

Well crap , that made me mad enough reading i had to put down my
Lil Debbie honey bun and Pepsi (not diet) and respond.

There is just too much Goverment being shoved down our throats and it aint food either:eek:, i hope people will take the time to get to know those that are running for seats in your area this coming election and lets vote these control freaks out of office or limit the power they have..........".Let them eat crow."

I have to agree with Winbig, there are those that cant help weight issues due to medical problems, sure i could stand to lose a pound or two but thats my business and not the effing goverments place to decide.

Laurie

i read that this morning and was going to put it on here but you know what happens when i post anything. but am very glad you did it.:thumbsup:

This is one of those....wtf??? things. What about people that have a medical disorder that causes obesity, and the person can't do anything about it? I know quite a few people that have glandular problems or whatnot, and no matter how few calories they take in per day or how much they exercise, they cannot lose the weight.

I take medication that makes me gain weight (zoloft) so should I now get depression and worsen my panic attacks to 10 times a day and never go out of the house EVER (agoraphobia) because my MEDICATION makes me gain weight?

their height, weight and body mass index (BMI).

We have a Wii and it says for my height 5'7 I should weigh 140lbs...which is too low for my body type. I have big bones, I know some people don't believe that, but my 20 year old daughter and myself cannot wear anklets because they aren't made big enough. And she weighs 130lbs, so she is no where near overweight.

We are being told what to do with our own money (if we are lucky enough to have jobs) now we are going to have our weight and BMI out there for anyone to see.... what the hell is next???

Didn't mean to upset everyone but it's just good to be aware of possible problems you might want to figure out how to dodge later.:D And it may never happen anyway. It's kind of funny as I remember a few years back the word on Congress was that they didn't do a darn thing bla bla bla but now I wish they'd take a long vacation and leave us the hell alone. :rolleyes:

I take medication that makes me gain weight (zoloft) so should I now get depression and worsen my panic attacks to 10 times a day and never go out of the house EVER (agoraphobia) because my MEDICATION makes me gain weight?

I used to be on that same med, as well as zyprexa and various others at some point in time over the past 12 years. Zyprexa was the worst, causing me to gain 30 pounds in 3 months - without changing any of my eating habits. :eek: So I definitely know where you're coming from.

I've been dealing with panic attack for years. In the early days, one would 'run into' another and would last for hours on end. I still have them every now and then, but they're nowhere near the length nor intensity that they used to be. I know at one point, my BP was about 200/110 during an attack. That's pretty horrible considering that it normally runs ~130/80 now.

Oh those rotten moth...don't even get me started guys. You know how I am about these things!!! GD Govt.!! I guess now they are even going to take away the fat, dumb and happy part of our govt. run lives!HAHA!

Do you honestly think that Obama put every single friggin one of these clauses in there, and that none were added/removed/changed by other members of congress/senate/whatever? So Obama is solely responsible for everything, even though others have had their hands in it?

Seriously, c'mon.....quit blamin the guy for every single thing that's wrong with America. He's had help.

True Win, he's had help. The help seems to be coming from his own agenda driven people though. Bush was horrible, but this guy seems even worse to me. No, I don't think he put every clause in, but they sure are getting written in a lot under his watch. Hope and change is right, we better HOPE that things CHANGE and pronto!! By November I'm sure!

Errrr, slight derail here... Did you know...
The health care premiums you pay for will be calculated and added onto your earned income starting in 2011.
Ex.: you pay $500 a month for health insurance = $6000 added to your income, probably putting you into a higher tax bracket. If you get employer discounted insurance, your employer will be required to report to the IRS how much they pay in for you and you will be taxed accordingly.

THIS is how they plan on paying for the insurance so EVERYONE can be insured.

NY tried to pass an obesity tax this year. Tax on regular soda, juices containing a certain percentage of sugar, etc. Thank goodness it failed. We are paying taxes on just about everything. The next tax will be on the air we breath, when they can figure out an average of air intake/person.

True Win, he's had help. The help seems to be coming from his own agenda driven people though. Bush was horrible, but this guy seems even worse to me. No, I don't think he put every clause in, but they sure are getting written in a lot under his watch. Hope and change is right, we better HOPE that things CHANGE and pronto!! By November I'm sure!

but weren't there republicans that voted for this, too?

Can't blame it all on his administration.....most of it, yes, but not all. It's a two way street ;)

America has been criticized for being a nation that actually promotes obesity

That's too funny, because everytime I turn on the TV I have some very bony person announce some show about really fat people going to a camp that makes them exercise 10 hours a day because they are such fat slobs and need to be made to push themselves to the point of heart attacks. A slew of doctors stands by to revive them...

A lot of movie stars are skeletons and end up in hospitals because of eating disorders, and I looked at an old soap and saw the people that used to be attractively thin 10 years ago - mere shadows of themselves.

The news say people are being kicked off airplanes for being too fat.

Some shows have nicely thin teens put on fat suits and go out looking to be ridiculed.

How can that be promoting obesity?

Obviously food joints will produce whatever sells and promote it. I hardly think that is a "nation" promoting obesity.

The fact is that we know very little about what actually causes some folk to be overweight. All the diets in the world have temporary results, the body readjusts as soon as the regimen is stopped.

In my youth I spent some 15 years starving myself and living exlusively off salads without dressing and raw veggies and lean, tiny pieces of meat. I looked great and was very sickly, aquired a lot of allergies, digestive disorders and infections.

Then I started eating like a normal person and the weight grew exponentially and immediately. The body craved protection against future times of starvation. My allergies, digestive orders and infections all but quit. My disposition became much better, I am pretty much a happy go lucky type person.

Now I am overweight and happy and healthy. There is no way anyone can move me to become sickly and unhappy again. My body is the weight it wants to be now, and it has maintained that same weight for many years. I should get more exercise since I sit in front of the computer and work way too much. But that applies to a lot of people with a thin body type also.

Yes, there are people with eating disorders that have them eating wayyy to much and all the wrong things. And there are people with eating disorders that have them starve themselves to the point of being sickly.

For now everything that is done to "fix" fat people has temporary effect and ultimately results in the opposite.

Maybe some day medicine will discover what really causes eating disorders. Maybe then they will find a "fix" and all of us will be the same weight and eat the same things and fit into a government prescribed norm.

anorexia_249305.jpg

And you're pissed of that because what? Finally your government realized that you are fat and does something about it. Or do you like to be fat, is that is?

And you're pissed of that because what? Finally your government realized that you are fat and does something about it. Or do you like to be fat, is that is?

Are you also a racist? :rolleyes:

For your information, I'm 5'5" tall and weigh 140 pounds. My BMI is 23.3, which is normal for my height, which ranges from a BMI of 18.5 (underweight) to 24.9.

And as it's been mentioned before, some people cannot control their weight due to medical reasons, or because of certain medications that they have to take to stay alive.

BMI Calculator, chart, and articles:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

BMI Categories:

* Underweight = <18.5
* Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
* Overweight = 25–29.9
* Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Are you also a racist? :rolleyes:

For your information, I'm 5'5" tall and weigh 140 pounds. My BMI is 23.3, which is normal for my height, which ranges from a BMI of 18.5 (underweight) to 24.9.

And as it's been mentioned before, some people cannot control their weight due to medical reasons, or because of certain medications that they have to take to stay alive.

Racist? Isn't it a known fact that most Americans are overweight?

Of course there's always people who really are sick and can't do anything about it. But that's just small minority of all overweight people.

Racist? Isn't it a known fact that most of Americans are overweight?

Of course there's always people who really are sick and can't do anything about it. But that's just small minority of all overweight people.

Show some proof, and I'll eat my hat. Let's see some facts and figures and/or studies that shows most overweight people are that way simply because of diet and lifestyle alone.

But I know that'll never happen, because most people don't care about their weight, and they just figure that they'll never lose the weight and it's not worth going to the doctor to see if there's something medically wrong to cause them not to be able to lose any weight.

Is the government also going to prescribe hair color and skin color? After all, there are norms everyone needs to fit into.

This has nothing to do with norms. It's simply because it isn't healthy to be fat.

And I think they tried that skin color thing in Germany and South Africa, didn't really work out too well.

Show some proof, and I'll eat my hat. Let's see some facts and figures and/or studies that shows most overweight people are that way simply because of diet and lifestyle alone.

But I know that'll never happen, because most people don't care about their weight, and they just figure that they'll never lose the weight and it's not worth going to the doctor to see if there's something medically wrong to cause them not to be able to lose any weight.

And now I need to show you proof? Are you really saying that more than 50% fat people are fat because they're sick, not because their diet and lifestyle? Wow, congratulations then, over half of your population is sick, that doesn't look too good considering your future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back