Enforcement agencies combine to shutter 19 venues in two provinces
In South Africa a combined national police and federal enforcement initiative has shuttered 19 illegal gambling venues across the provinces of Northern Cape and North West.
A spokesman for the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation said Friday that three persons had been detained and will appear in court Monday following the surprise raids.
"The illegal gambling sites were under our surveillance for some time, consequently, a take-down operation was conducted to dismantle the criminal enterprises. Numerous IT equipment such as gambling machines, computers allegedly used in the illegal gambling enterprise were seized during the operation as well as an undisclosed amount of money," the spokesman said.
"Three suspects who were allegedly involved in running the illegal network were arrested and more arrests are imminent. The three suspects arrested are expected to appear in court on Monday facing the possible charges of corruption, money laundering, racketeering, contravention of the national and provincial gambling acts."
The head of the Directorate, Lieutenant General Mthandazo Ntlemeza, warned:
"This is just the beginning, more should be expected in other parts of the country and we will soon be knocking at their doors unannounced. We are committed to work around the clock to ensure that we protect the economy of this country and also make certain that those involved face the full might of the law."
Online Casino News Courtesy of Infopowa