• England - penalty shootout

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Croatia - penalty shootout

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We played one good game in the tournament - Sweden who were no mugs having knocked Holland out in qualifying and beating Italy in the play-off. England cannot often keep a clean sheet and as soon as they failed (just) to go 2-0 up I knew we never had enough 'calamity insurance' because England always have calamity in important matches. I knew in my heart we were out as soon as Perisic equalized and they were tired and clueless thereafter.

Make no mistake there are a few positives - we now have a capable spine on which to form a decent side (Pickford-MacGuire-Trippier-Kane) but being realistic there will not be an opening-up of the draw in Euro2020 or a World Cup like that again where at QF stage we are the highest ranked team in the 8 in that side of the draw. If only that had happened in 1990 or 2006....

It’s also very doubtful Germany, Brazil Argentina or Spain will be that poor again or that Italy and Holland will fail to qualify. Imo even if this squad progresses beyond expectation I still doubt we will be technically in the same park as those mentioned above. It was a substandard tournament in which we were given a gift and we didn’t bother to open it. Great teams are ruthless and show no mercy. We had shortfalls in both. I know it’s difficult to ascertain when comparing old to new but if this squad played the 90 or 96 squad I know where my money would be. Which again imo says in 20 odd years we have actually gone backwards.

Like Dunover mentioned, once the equalizer went in (good finish btw) there was only ever one team in it. At no point did I think we'd rally or re-establish a lead....

So as we collectively held our breath it was just a case of 'when', not 'if'. It was like seeing the England of old make a cameo; tiring defenders with lapses in concentration, and long balls- sorry, 'lofted through balls'- at every opportunity. Even when winning, stringing three passes together seemed beyond this lot, the likes of Lampard, Gerrrard, Scholes would have never tolerated.

Also noted is how so many 'fallen' favourites will look to excel in future, so not discounting Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Germany, Holland, Belgium & Panama it will take England at least another generation to challenge. And then they'll face the likes of France or Portugal in the Semis, not Croatia :eek2:

Thusly, here's a quick WC Predictor for the foreseeable:

2022: QF

2026: 2nd Round

2030: QF

2034: QF

Sweden who were no mugs having knocked Holland out in qualifying and beating Italy in the play-off

:eek2: Is that so?? They kicked Italy :( I didn't know that and I was rooting for Sweden in some games! :eek:

:eek2: Is that so?? They kicked Italy :( I didn't know that and I was rooting for Sweden in some games! :eek:
Yes, they and Italy both finished second in qualifying and Sweden beat Italy 1-0 home and drew 0-0 away in a play-off tie to qualify for the tournament.

Yes, they and Italy both finished second in qualifying and Sweden beat Italy 1-0 home and drew 0-0 away in a play-off tie to qualify for the tournament.

It's not the same without Italy and Holland :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back