Why O Why!

Cleveland

Do we have to spend 5 minutes talking about how much we love each other? I mean come on really? I'm coming to the end of the movie gravedancers and this idiot wife has to spend all day telling her husband she loves him, knowing all the while they are being chased by ghost. Ok can we get out of the damn house first before we have this discussion? I'm not ready to die, are you? Well fine stay your butt in the house and let me at least TRY to survive.

Eww and that annoying scream. At least get up and run while you scream. This is the part where you trip over the imaginary item on the ground :eek2: and magically can't move anymore. Your only choice is to yell no, as if the thing trying to kill you will suddenly say...."O hey yea you're right, I really shouldn't...I'm sorry."

And whats with the huge random hand at the end of the movie. Did the rules all of a sudden change at the end of the show? Was that for dramatic effect or something? I'm sick of these wanna be scary movies on netflix. So hard to find a decent horror movie these days :mad:

Second sorry movie I have watched tonight. Are we going to make it three? Haunting at the Beacon is next...This crap better be scary...Ok I'm done venting now.

Do we have to spend 5 minutes talking about how much we love each other? I mean come on really? I'm coming to the end of the movie gravedancers and this idiot wife has to spend all day telling her husband she loves him, knowing all the while they are being chased by ghost. Ok can we get out of the damn house first before we have this discussion? I'm not ready to die, are you? Well fine stay your butt in the house and let me at least TRY to survive.

I second that! ^^
I HATE that when they need to RUN, they start screaming "OMG! I LOVE YOU! I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT YOU!" and other sh@t producers might add! :mad:

The last REALLY scary movie I saw was "Chainsaw massacre in Texas" (both parts). I also like "Silent Hill". First time I was watching it, I stopped it three time just to calm down and stop my hear beating like it was going to be heart attack soon. Oh God! Maybe I will ask wifey to watch it again tonight together :D

I absolutely love horror movies and good blood and gore (like Chainsaw Mass., the first Saw, Hostel, etc., gross, I know)! It has gotten so that they don't even try to make them really good any more. I loved them as a kid and I still do. The first movie that scared the $#@& out of me was Night of The Living Dead at the drive in, yeah, I am old! I swear my heart almost exploded!

I also love good alien and monster type movies, if they are well done. Good werewolf, vampire, zombies, any halfway decent ones. And I get the biggest kick out of Dinosaur movies, Jurassic Park, and all of those good ones fascinate me. There is a new TV show that just started last night, Terra Nova and I hope it will prove to be fun.

Never did like too much of the girl/boy movies and ones that make you cry. Makes me too sad and who needs that?

I have Netflix and also get ticked off when I see a movie and go Yes, and then it sucks. I quit watching TV for years and just started easing back into it about 3 years ago. It does get old, gotta say. But, it does kill an hour or two when too tired to do anything else!

The best horror movies (IMO) were made in the late 60's through to the early/mid 80's.

The strength that those older horror movies had, were that they're mostly B films (so there's that grainy film stock to go with the low-budget sound working for them), and they're mostly made up of no-name actors (although you had the odd star before they were stars like a Kevin Bacon or a Johnny Depp). When the no-name actors died, and with it being low-budget, you almost got the sense that they were actually killed because they couldn't afford half-decent special-effects & make-up artists ( :) ). It doesn't work when Drew Barrymore or Paris Hilton get slaughtered, because, hey, we see them all of the time.

Horror films have too many one-liners now (and I'm tired of people saying that it's about time that they make horror films that are funny and don't take themselves too seriously, because they've been doing JUST that since the mid-80's... and I MUCH preferred unintentionally funny anyway). Can they tone it down with the heavy music too? It really does nothing but drown-out the mood (silence falls into the less is more category and it will always work).

It was also wonderful when zombies didn't run (like in Romero and Fulci films) and have super-human strength. When they walked slowly, you had enough time to see the details of their faces, and it creates tension/mood/build-up. Sure, the older versions were easier to kill, but they were creepier which is what they're supposed to be.

A solid percentage of 'video nasties' (movies that were prosecuted and banned in the UK at one time) are pretty brutal (in a good way) to watch; although some weren't really all that scary and one would wonder why they made that list in the first place. There's lots of good stuff about 'video nasties' on YouTube, that's definitely worth checking out.

Not much besides my imagination, my shadow, Bloody Mary, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, Divine, doll collections, and talking with a friend in the middle of the night about horror films, scare me, yet I still have a very hard time watching '3 Men & a Baby' and 'The Wizard of Oz' because of their legendary scenes, which is ridiculous, because I know that there was a cardboard stand-up of Ted Danson by the window, and that it's a crane far off in the background (Oz), still, can't watch them (and that's okay when it's '3 Men & a Baby' anyway). Chuck Norris is scary and kinda cool at the same time, and the movie 'Silent Rage' creeps me out (the scene where the mentally ill John Kirby is waiting behind the door when the woman comes out of the attic after she thinks he's gone...).

It's not really scary now, but the commercial for 'Magic' (1978) was pretty scary if you were a kid in the late 70's (this particular trailer - below - was pulled for obvious reasons). My first memory of being terrified, was at the hands of 'That's Incredible!', with their special on 'Amityville' (doll with red eyes). Last words, the gorriest film I've seen is 'zombi 2' and I've been told that there are others that are supposedly worse than that, but it would have to be real to top it (and I'm never in the mood for watching 'Faces of Death', snuff, although some day I may get around to watching one of those legendary cannibalistic films from the '70s b/c they're not real... real is going over the line).

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the original japanese horror movies, like Ringu and Ju-On (The Ring & The Grudge) some of those are so frigging creepy.

I'm with the rest of you with the old time zombies :thumbsup: but I think my all time favorite and scariest movie has to be the Exorcist.

The Exorcist.. hell yeah.. Mine too.
Saw it as a kid like when I was 8 years old. With a friend, he held a pillow in front of his face, and I kept watching. Had nightmares for 3 months. Every time I closed my eyes I saw that face approaching me out of the dark.
I was so fascinated by this movie and it's subject, till the age of 16/17. Watched every sequel, and every documentary or books about exorcism I could get my hands on.

They still make good horror movies though, but it's hard to find them, even in imdb, cause people give them bad ratings no matter how good they are.

Did anyone see Insidious btw?

Oh my Gawd, Chayton,

When I was pregnant with my daughter, we went to see The Exorcist in a big old tome theater with a balcony (dark and lots of hanging drapes, old timey). That film absolutely scared me so bad, I went into false labor! Months later, with my daughter in my arms, she looked at me and said "mommmmaaaa" and turned her head all the way to the side. Considering she was only about 7 weeks old, it almost made me drop her! Overactive imagination and movies like that will give you gray hairs!!! :eek:

Actually just now I went to see when The Exorcist was made and on Google there's a link to a YouTube video of a real exorcism. I can't watch it. :oops:

My grandmother was a horror movie nut. I can remember being really little and sleeping in the bed with her and staying up all night watching horror movies on a black and white TV. So my love of them came at an early age.

When I was a teenager the local theater, one of the real theaters with balcony, curtains, etc, was showing Vincent Price in 'The Conqueror Worm'. It was about the Inquisition and witch hunting so don't know where the title fit in except it is a poem. Anyway, my Mom, my sister, and I went to see it together. A particular scary scene came up with the creepy music and Vincent Price at his best and my Mom knocked over a drink can that was on the floor. That sucker rolled all the way down to the screen on a cement floor. Of course, we got to laughing. First time I ever got asked to leave a movie theater and it was all my mother's fault.

I'm not to keen on the slasher films because they are really stupid beyond belief. Seriously who is dumb enough to not run like the house was on fire when your best friend gets his/her throat slashed in front of you.

The one movie that scared the crap out of me was the movie made of the book 'Helter Skelter' about Charles Manson. My husband was out of town working and I was by myself. Should have known better. I chased boogers all night long. LOL!

Yeah Annie, those old theaters were scary just by themselves, dark and a bit dreary. I absolutely love when they pull that tired old cliché about "splitting up", almost makes me giggle. I agree that slasher movies are dumb as Hell but....they are fun because they are NOT real. Those kill movies where it seems they really kill someone absolutely appall me and make me despair about our humanity.

But......................you can't beat anything (pretend)that scares the living crap out of you!!! :D

Somehow going to the movies lost it's ambience when they made movie theaters all bright and shiny instead of the velvet curtains, usually red, dark theater etc of the old movie theaters. Going to the bathroom was always a treat too cause it was either in the basement or up a flight of really narrow dark stairs. Talk about creeper films come to life. LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back