Why I hate springtime -- Twisters

Mousey

Ueber Meister Mouse
I live in Alabama. Our state was severely mangled by devastating tornadoes last April. Some of the tornadoes this past Friday went thru the same communities. People who were rebuilding homes from the April '11 disaster had the new/rebuilt homes ripped away again, 10 months later, on Friday. It was worse in other states. 39 dead so far... and I've lost count of the actual # of tornadoes reported.

It was over 80 degrees here on Friday. This winter was entirely too warm, and spring seems to be following suit. Friday night was not the first night this year that we sat glued to internet and TV weather radar for hours on end, occasionally grabbing cats and radios and flashlights before making a run for our bathroom (the safest place in the house, we hope) as tornado sirens screamed outside. Thankfully, our immediate area got by with only heavy rain, pea sized and nickel sized, and ping pong ball sized hail (haven't checked our roof yet), and a few trees across lines or roads here and there -- this time. Our tornado season has only just begun. It's going to be long and nasty and tiring spring....

Let me make this clear. Tornadoes don't just wipe out mobile homes. A direct hit destroys everything in its path. Everything.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

Geez, have been following the last few days, what a tragedy. It seems like Mother Nature has it in for everyone lately. Stay safe Mousey!!!!

Mousey,

I so feel for ya'll and for all the other folks devastated by tornadoes.

I live in East Texas and am considered in the Tornado Alley here. It sucks. Every bad cloud that comes up you wonder if this is the one.

I am right with you Mousey, well lucked out anyway. I am in Kansas and had some bad storms last week. If this is a sign of how this spring is going to be I think I might want to move. Stay safe and you are in my prayers and thoughts.

I feel for you, Mousey! It is exhausting to get through each tornado watch, warning, siren, etc. And if the tornadoes don't hit you, the damaging hail does. My poor daughter got hit with bad hail, brand new roof damaged, new car about totaled, storm windows broken. And we feel grateful it wasn't worse.

Please Be Safe all of you in the bad areas!!! :thumbsup:

weather

I am from Tennessee and some of the areas were wiped out. One town was completely gone, literally. I am not in one of those towns fortunately. The hail in some areas was the size if golf balls, it is weird. This has been the strangest weather. Take care Mousey, the season has just started. :(

The devastation wrought by these scary US weather phenomenons has been broadcast all over the world, and for those of us who live in more temperate climes, one can only imagine what it feels like to have one of these monsters approaching and threatening your property and maybe your life.

Hailstones the size of golf balls...that must be like being smashed with a dozen hammers. The only experience I have had that can relate to it was a hailstorm with stones half that size some years ago that people still talk about. Our hail is normally pretty small and infrequent, but this one caused an unbelievable amount of damage to houses, factories and cars. I recall in one case it hit a new car delivery depot and seriously damaged a slew of brand new cars, which were subsequently sold 'as is' on auction.

The cost of these things in the States must be enormous to both insured and insurers - I imagine the premiums go up as a consequence.

The devastation wrought by these scary US weather phenomenons has been broadcast all over the world, and for those of us who live in more temperate climes, one can only imagine what it feels like to have one of these monsters approaching and threatening your property and maybe your life.

Hailstones the size of golf balls...that must be like being smashed with a dozen hammers. The only experience I have had that can relate to it was a hailstorm with stones half that size some years ago that people still talk about. Our hail is normally pretty small and infrequent, but this one caused an unbelievable amount of damage to houses, factories and cars. I recall in one case it hit a new car delivery depot and seriously damaged a slew of brand new cars, which were subsequently sold 'as is' on auction.

The cost of these things in the States must be enormous to both insured and insurers - I imagine the premiums go up as a consequence.

Imagine the cost of home owners insurance for those who have now lost TWO homes within the space of 10 months..... And of course, when our policy renews this fall, I fully expect a premium increase simply because the insurance companies are paying out so much.

Just read where the
. When found, her parents and siblings were found already dead. It's so horrible....

Please keep a heads up people.... we've got a long way to go till the end of tornado season....

Imagine the cost of home owners insurance for those who have now lost TWO homes within the space of 10 months..... And of course, when our policy renews this fall, I fully expect a premium increase simply because the insurance companies are paying out so much.

Just read where the
. When found, her parents and siblings were found already dead. It's so horrible....

Please keep a heads up people.... we've got a long way to go till the end of tornado season....

This toddler was a symbol of hope for us in Indiana. The little girl's name was Angel. One has to wonder "Why"-I guess we don't question but keep the faith.

You are right this is just the start of this weird weather season.

We don't know how lucky we are here in the UK. Rarely do we ever get wind speeds over 80 mph or terrential rain. From what I have seen on the news, the weather conditions look insane.

You know I live in Chicago. This winter we were having 50 and 60 degree days, that's unheard of. Last year we had some hurricane force windstorms. (one was so bad it just hit I grabbed all the kids from the public pool across the street - I was walking there to check on my kids and saw the trees just bend in half - I said everyone now in my house and all of them ran - scary part is just as we got to the front porch the tree they were standing under cracked in half. I think thank you Jesus whenever we talk about it. These weren't young trees either some were over 100 years old. Had everyone in my basement on cell phones calling parents telling them they were safe. I went back upstairs to see if storm was dying down and looked out picture window- there were nearly 20 trees gone on cars and everywhere. There school lost at least five trees. I lived in Chicago my whole life and never saw anything like it. I told husband this year worries me the winter weather so mild, I think we are gonna have a long spring. I don't know how people can live in areas know for tornadoes. God Bless you. Rainstorms freak me out big time. I hope you and your family is able to stay safe. My prayers and thoughts will be with you.

On a lighter note- the other night when the rainstorms/tornadoes hit Blondes area we were on 3dice. Trying to help calm her down- I hate storms so bad- I started having a panic attack watching the radar and it took another friend of ours to calm me down when she lost connection telling me shes OK and so on. LOL Good ole 3dice lol- But I gotta say it took her about 15 min to get back on line and I was sweating every minute of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back