What's Ya Weather At?

View attachment 169977
Yes, good idea. Let's give them names

giphy.webp

Raw maxima today from the models suggest that 39c will be breached Mon/Tues. Even worse, Monday night minimums don’t fall below 25c for some. Good luck sleeping in that.

Reading around the comments sections on the BBC etc, people really aren't taking what is about to hit the UK weatherwise very seriously at all.

Widespread 35-39C right up into Yorkshire etc is unprecedented for the UK. This isn't just going to be one small part of the country. I think it'll begin to dawn on people Sunday night into Monday that this is serious heat.

The maximum temperature recorded around these parts, for example, is about 34C in 1990. The Cheshire region looks to smash that record on Monday and Tuesday by 3 or 4C. Most people will never have experienced these coming temperatures in their lifetimes.

I live v.close to the M6 and have friends that work on the repair side of it.
They have said that anything above 32° and the road surfaces start to melt.
So don't be surprised to see gritter trucks out dusting the roads as a preventive measure.

I live v.close to the M6 and have friends that work on the repair side of it.
They have said that anything above 32° and the road surfaces start to melt.
So don't be surprised to see gritter trucks out dusting the roads as a preventive measure.
Come Monday we’ll almost certainly see road surfaces begin to melt, breakdown of refrigeration devices (expect to see many supermarkets with empty fridges), increased demand for electricity may overtop supply from the national grid etc etc.

The UK doesn’t have the infrastructure to deal with widespread intense heat.

Expect a red warning tomorrow or Friday latest IMO.

Substations will "pop" - due to demand and heat, which will knock out traffic lights, mobile/virgin lines (and yeah the big switch over to VOIP is really going to come in useful if we get the same temps when it goes ahead)

It's the usual excuses British workers excel at, namely if anything's 'too much of something'. Unless I'm mistaken, many if not most offices and indoor spaces will be fitted with air-conditioning, as mentioned.

As for outdoor jobs, perhaps some sectors will be more directly affected by the heat, but enough to down tools altogether? How do other countries manage to keep their infrastructure going? I'm sorry if it's a little outside your comfort zone, but workers' ready-made excuses are grating. Pretty typical behaviour if anything.

You know where half of these afflicted workers will be when the time comes? Adorning those beaches like the best of 'em. Themz the facts :laugh:

Raw maxima today from the models suggest that 39c will be breached Mon/Tues. Even worse, Monday night minimums don’t fall below 25c for some. Good luck sleeping in that.
Betty Swollocks time then.....:(

It's the usual excuses British workers excel at, namely if anything's 'too much of something'. Unless I'm mistaken, many if not most offices and indoor spaces will be fitted with air-conditioning, as mentioned.

As for outdoor jobs, perhaps some sectors will be more directly affected by the heat, but enough to down tools altogether? How do other countries manage to keep their infrastructure going? I'm sorry if it's a little outside your comfort zone, but workers' ready-made excuses are grating. Pretty typical behaviour if anything.

You know where half of these afflicted workers will be when the time comes? Adorning those beaches like the best of 'em. Themz the facts :laugh:
The excuses are legitimate.

People in other countries are conditioned physiologically to such heat as it's more of a regular occurrence...and whilst still not great for the body, they are less likely to suffer the effects of such heat. Basically acclimatisation.

In the UK, our bodies are not acclimatised to such levels of heat and so a quick, intense wave such as this has the potential to cause heart attacks etc due to the extra strain on the heart. Add these extra casualties to an NHS that is already teetering on the brink of emergency and we have a genuine recipe for a disaster.

39c showing around London...40C could be breached

ukmaxtemp.png

I'm at the 35 in the NE of Belgium, seems like it'll be a bit warmer here on Tuesday perhaps also reaching 38. Not particularly looking forward to it and the options for a cooler scenario are few and far between now even tho it's still 4 to 5 days out.

In the past I've seen ridiculous scenarios in the cards for 48 to 72hrs ahead that magically disappeared but except for convective clouds hampering the sun, which would only help out a tiny bit, it seems like this scenario is set in stone now.

Let's see what the 0z Euro says.

I'm at the 35 in the NE of Belgium, seems like it'll be a bit warmer here on Tuesday perhaps also reaching 38. Not particularly looking forward to it and the options for a cooler scenario are few and far between now even tho it's still 4 to 5 days out.

In the past I've seen ridiculous scenarios in the cards for 48 to 72hrs ahead that magically disappeared but except for convective clouds hampering the sun, which would only help out a tiny bit, it seems like this scenario is set in stone now.

Let's see what the 0z Euro says.
Yep I think the heat is inevitable now. What’s more worrying is that the 850mb temperatures are notching up slightly run by run. Some models are showing patches of 24C at the upper levels.

I’ve seen comments online of people saying they’ll sunbathe in the garden. Ain’t nobody sunbathing in 40c heat, they’d be scurrying inside as quickly as they ventured out.

Yep I think the heat is inevitable now. What’s more worrying is that the 850mb temperatures are notching up slightly run by run. Some models are showing patches of 24C at the upper levels.

I’ve seen comments online of people saying they’ll sunbathe in the garden. Ain’t nobody sunbathing in 40c heat, they’d be scurrying inside as quickly as they ventured out.

Seen some of the early runs when the plume of hot air was first forecasted keeping it at 30 during the night around these parts because of a bubble of 26 to 28 at 850hpa. That would be pure horror... But from a pure meteorological view point it would've been quite something to see it materialize.

I'm not going outside until the sun is down on Monday and Tuesday, that's for sure.

Bit of a respite here for a few day until DANGER OF DEATH !!! on Monday
We do tend to exagerate in the UK, parts of Europe have recently had temperatures we will never reach,
however I can remember 40 degrees a few years ago when I was metal detecting,was never reported but was difficult to breath,
suppose the wussy UK human being is not built for such extremes

Bit of a respite here for a few day until DANGER OF DEATH !!! on Monday
We do tend to exagerate in the UK, parts of Europe have recently had temperatures we will never reach,
however I can remember 40 degrees a few years ago when I was metal detecting,was never reported but was difficult to breath,
suppose the wussy UK human being is not built for such extremes
I don't think @dunover has safe balls at this point

1657837428269.png

It wasn't that long ago one of the skyscrapers in London was melting cars due to the angles of the building reflecting the sunlight.
Add dry grounds and we could see similar around the Uk with other buildings.

Well it's almost here. Later today will see temperatures into the 30s in southern parts of the UK (32/33C in a couple of spots) but it's Monday and Tuesday that history will be made. 41C isn't out of the equation on Tuesday.

Stay safe everyone and don't over exert.

By Wednesday we should see a rapid drop in temperatures, this will start later Tuesday in more western areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back