What's for tea? (Dinner) if your from elsewhere than the uk

Careful Playford hell hath no fury like a woman quorned :D;)

:lolup:

Nice pundit work. But the quorn issue needs addressing at a higher level.
I'd personally say as seriously as fraud or multi accounting.
The boss hasn't entered this thread as yet.
He needs to toe 'certain' people in line!.

Just got a baked pasta dish in the oven.

Rotini with sauteed mushrooms, red bell pepper, sausage, (out of the casing), good quality jarred sauce, and topped with a liberal amount of grated lower-fat mozzarella, and will add a few shavings of authentic Parmesan Regianno. Got a Valpolicella to open for dinner too.

Alas, no bread to make garlic bread to go with it, as I did not go shopping this week.

Just got a baked pasta dish in the oven.

Rotini with sauteed mushrooms, red bell pepper, sausage, (out of the casing), good quality jarred sauce, and topped with a liberal amount of grated lower-fat mozzarella, and will add a few shavings of authentic Parmesan Regianno. Got a Valpolicella to open for dinner too.

Alas, no bread to make garlic bread to go with it, as I did not go shopping this week.
Your meal sounds lovely. I do love a nice bread with food.
Sadly my meal this evening is very poor.
It's a sandwich. A chicken and bacon.
Served with a Pepsi, ice cold however :)

I cooked marrow stuffed with roasted squash,fine green beans,spring onions, sweet peppers,finely diced carrots, mushrooms,garlic,tomatoes,rosemary,origano and lemon topped with bread crumbs and vegan cheese and hot new potatoes in honey and mustard.

Most ingredients where from the garden and allotment :D

I cooked marrow stuffed with roasted squash,green beans,spring onions, sweet peppers,finely diced carrots, mushrooms,garlic,tomatoes,rosemary,origano and lemon topped with bread crumbs and vegan cheese and hot new potatoes in honey and mustard.

Most ingredients where from the garden and allotment :D
Holy shit!.. can a man in black and white cook such fine fayre!... the lack of meat disturbs me somewhat however mate!..
But the ingredients are top notch and for that I salute you!!!.

Holy shit!.. can a man in black and white cook such fine fayre!... the lack of meat disturbs me somewhat however mate!..
But the ingredients are top notch and for that I salute you!!!.

Well thank you sir. I'm no vegan but my partner is. I had left over curry. After reading this thread I was going to post a picture of the other half of the Marrow but it does not look quite so nice when its cold in the fridge :(

Edit. Here it is looking more like cold collation

20136781_10154613046951456_292831551_n.jpg

Well thank you sir. I'm no vegan but my partner is. I had left over curry. After reading this thread I was going to post a picture of the other half of the Marrow but it does not look quite so nice when its cold in the fridge :(

Edit. Here it is looking more like cold collation

View attachment 80297
Well impressed!..
looks delectable.

At first I thought you meant beef marrow, and I was wondering how you stuff something so soft. Also, I was impressed, because while I do love marrow, it's a lot of work for a little treat.

I forget not everyone calls veggies the same thing.

Swiss chard and some herbs are the only edible stuff so far, although peas should be pretty soon. Oh, and I've had a couple of jalapenos.

At first I thought you meant beef marrow, and I was wondering how you stuff something so soft. Also, I was impressed, because while I do love marrow, it's a lot of work for a little treat.

Swiss chard and some herbs are the only edible stuff so far, although peas should be pretty soon. Oh, and I've had a couple of jalapenos.

Do you have a lot of stuff growing? This year I have had to buy another freezer because there is so much going on.

Out of everything the most impressive thing growing for me is the Sunflowers. I must remember to take a few pics once they have reached full growth.

I've actually had many a meal in Bradford in the uk, where I have friends and I was taken to a 'vegetarian' curry restaurant, I told them I wasn't happy and I won't enjoy it one bit and I'd still be hungry after the meal.
Guess what?? I wasn't, one of the finest meals I've ever had and was totally satisfied, however as a personal choice I do like meat :)

I don't grow a lot, relative to some people. I have eggplants (aubergines for my friends across the pond), beans (but scarlet runners, primarily for the flowers), big bed of swiss chard, and a big bed of kale that the bugs are eating this year, cooked greens are a favourite. Have 1/2 dozen tomato plants, I would have liked more, but I was away early June. There's bell peppers, a variety of hot peppers (in my front flower bed), chives and another big bed of nasturiums, which while edible I primarily grow for the flowers and because they are so dense no weeding is needed. Oh, and sugar snap peas this year.

There's dill, cilantro, lavender, more chives and garlic chives. And waaaayyy to much chocolate mint.

Basil I grow indoors year round (well, almost all year, it dies every spring as it is an annual).

I don't grow a lot, relative to some people. I have eggplants (aubergines for my friends across the pond), beans (but scarlet runners, primarily for the flowers), big bed of swiss chard, and a big bed of kale that the bugs are eating this year, cooked greens are a favourite. Have 1/2 dozen tomato plants, I would have liked more, but I was away early June. There's bell peppers, a variety of hot peppers (in my front flower bed), chives and another big bed of nasturiums, which while edible I primarily grow for the flowers and because they are so dense no weeding is needed. Oh, and sugar snap peas this year.

There's dill, cilantro, lavender, more chives and garlic chives. And waaaayyy to much chocolate mint.

Basil I grow indoors year round (well, almost all year, it dies every spring as it is an annual).

I have never heard of chocolate mint but I have just looked it up. I guess that like most mint its spreads fast? I have a few varieties of Tomato growing,but for the second year in a row we have had to throw a few Tomato plants away from the greenhouse due to blight. As yet we have not worked out how to prevent it? It may be that the greenhouse it not glass but polytunnel? We have a large patch of what many people would call weeds that are covered in very small flowers in the allotment that we have left alone because they attract a massive amount of Bees.

Going to dig up a large artichoke plant once it stops producing this year because for me it is the most over rated vegetable that their is and doesn't deserve the room it takes to grow.

Oh and last night I made vegi lasagne with green beans and minted potatoes and garlic bread mostly with homegrown ingredients and after that my lovely 18 year old daughter called me a wanker and kept pinching my fags.
Charming :)

18 year old scotch is better than 18 year old daughters.

And 4 day old moonshine is better than 15 year old daughters, count your blessings.

I made a pretty tasty dinner tonight, first I've truly cooked since Sunday. While I usually use a placemat on the tray I eat on in front of my TV when dining solo, I put a napkin on it too because I was gonna take a picture. But I sat down without my camera phone, and was not going to get up and get it at that point. I'd rather have a hot meal hot than a photo.

The frozen grilled aspargus had been a little too long to be wonderful, but still tasty. But a lot of making meals is hmmmm... what do I have that I need to use up. And it was brilliant the day it was cooked several weeks ago.

Basic rice cooked in chicken stock. I hate plain rice.

Oh, but dinner was cooking things I needed to use up. Remember that baked pasta from Sunday? I cooked two packages of mushrooms because I had bought them on sale, and did not use them all.

So no prep time for them, still lovely.

Got some pretty good tasting peaches. All the way from Spain at a discount store.

Boneless skinless chicken breast, I thawed out the day before. Got nice ones cheaply and boned them myself, already made stock with the bones.

So kind of a peach marsala chicken, with no marsala wine, I used sherry. And then some peach schnapps because it wasn't peach enough or sweet enough. And a little cream to finish, because it lacked a little body. A tablespoon of butter might have made a prettier sauce, but also has more fat and calories.

Not enough salt either, almost all of it, but that's down to me thinking reducing salt intake might be good for my blood pressure.

Since I'd already spent a bunch of time prepping and sauteing the mushrooms with onions and garlic, the dish came together pretty quickly.

Most of the mushrooms were cremini, so sauce was fairly dark, and the colour of the peaches got a little lost. If I was to prepare it for a dinner party, I'd probably use white buttons for more contrast and a less assertive taste to let the peaches star a bit more. Maybe a little ginger as that's a spice works well with all the players, except the grilled asparagus that was grilled with Catalina dressing. But I needed a green veggie, and I hate to waste food.

18 year old scotch is better than 18 year old daughters.

And 4 day old moonshine is better than 15 year old daughters, count your blessings.

I made a pretty tasty dinner tonight, first I've truly cooked since Sunday. While I usually use a placemat on the tray I eat on in front of my TV when dining solo, I put a napkin on it too because I was gonna take a picture. But I sat down without my camera phone, and was not going to get up and get it at that point. I'd rather have a hot meal hot than a photo.

The frozen grilled aspargus had been a little too long to be wonderful, but still tasty. But a lot of making meals is hmmmm... what do I have that I need to use up. And it was brilliant the day it was cooked several weeks ago.

Basic rice cooked in chicken stock. I hate plain rice.

Oh, but dinner was cooking things I needed to use up. Remember that baked pasta from Sunday? I cooked two packages of mushrooms because I had bought them on sale, and did not use them all.

So no prep time for them, still lovely.

Got some pretty good tasting peaches. All the way from Spain at a discount store.

Boneless skinless chicken breast, I thawed out the day before. Got nice ones cheaply and boned them myself, already made stock with the bones.

So kind of a peach marsala chicken, with no marsala wine, I used sherry. And then some peach schnapps because it wasn't peach enough or sweet enough. And a little cream to finish, because it lacked a little body. A tablespoon of butter might have made a prettier sauce, but also has more fat and calories.

Not enough salt either, almost all of it, but that's down to me thinking reducing salt intake might be good for my blood pressure.

Since I'd already spent a bunch of time prepping and sauteing the mushrooms with onions and garlic, the dish came together pretty quickly.

Most of the mushrooms were cremini, so sauce was fairly dark, and the colour of the peaches got a little lost. If I was to prepare it for a dinner party, I'd probably use white buttons for more contrast and a less assertive taste to let the peaches star a bit more. Maybe a little ginger as that's a spice works well with all the players, except the grilled asparagus that was grilled with Catalina dressing. But I needed a green veggie, and I hate to waste food.
At my age I would have to be pretty damn drunk before I entertained an 18 year old and she would have to be crazy! :eek:

It seems like your quite an accomplished cook. :)

I like good food, so if I want to have it often, I need to cook it myself. I don't draw or take photographs make scuptures, so this is a creative outlet for me too.

I also crave variety, so I do enjoy trying new things.

I end up missing it when I go on extended vacations.

I have a few recipes in my blog here, you should check some of them out. Some are easier than others.

Tonight was a toasted smoked deli turkey on brown. I don't make elaborate meals every day. And a peach for dessert.

I haven't got a clue. Finally got grocery shopping, so there are a number of choices. But I'm wiped and not hungry, and there's the food that should be eaten calling to me. But all that food requires real prep.

And it's 7 pm my time, and I can't wait an hour or I'll have heartburn, well, because sucks getting old.

Had grilled cheese on whole wheat for lunch, so not truly an option.

Went to a quite expensive grocery store, but they are my pharmacy, and and a few good deals worth paying cab fare for. But I can't eat juice toilet paper and butter for dinner. And I just could not bring myself to pay what they wanted for a pre-cooked chicken or a tub of spring greens.

Yogurt and granola or peanut butter toast are front runners, but I'd rather someone just brought me pizza. Except I don't really want that either.

Not seen this thread before, but probably wouldn't have much to add to it as I'm living along and cba to cook for one most the time, even though I love cooking.

However am making a load of redcurrant jelly this weekend, was something my daughter used to do every year with my mam before she died (mam not daughter!) and I've carried on doing it with her every year since.

As redcurrants are really like rocking horse shit to get hold of - not just fresh but frozen too - we are going to a pick your own farm on Friday to get a few kilo's of them, assuming the weather holds out. £4 a kilo compared to £2 for 150g in Morrisons, or £2.50 in Sainsburys, on the off chance you manage to get any in the 2 weeks or so out of the whole year when they actually have them in stock. Its a 100 mile round trip but will save more than the fuel will cost, and its something neither my daughter or granddaughter have done before (or me!) so hopefully will be a fun day :)

Then got to get jars from somewhere, lids, muslin and a ton of sugar and then ready to go with them Saturday and Sunday :)

Funny you should mention red currant jelly, went looking for it last weekend as I had bought a duck liver pate. Couldn't find any, bought some blackcurrant instead, but was sweeter than I was looking for. So stirred in a little shallot vinegar and dijon, helped balance the richness of the pate.

It should be a nice outing. Think it's important that kids learn that food does not just come from supermarkets.

I admire your ambition though, jellies are a lot of work. Although yesterday my former roommate and I were talking about making a white wine jelly to showcase nasturiums. No muslin bags required for that!

Red current jelly is excellent with brie and/or baked bries too.

Been years since I've canned, I mostly just opt for small batch and refrigerate jams, or freeze things like tomatoes now.

Pots and pans and the kitchen sink.

Dinner tonight was cheese nachos, with jarred salsa and home made guaramole.

Not the healthiest of meals, but the chips had been there 2 plus months, and the cheddar cheese was frozen before I went on vactionion beginning of June, and thawed a couple of weeks ago. And I thoroughly enjoyed it too, even though I prefer a mix of cheddar and mozzarella.
a
I had to open a jar of salsa, because unfortunately is does not last all that long.

So tomorrow's dinner is skin on mahi mahi fillets with a peach avocada and red pepper salsa. If I was making it for company, I'd use mango or pineapple, but I have peaches. And the rest of the avocado.
Ev
Baked sweet potato, because I'm trying to up my potassium, and frozen boxed spinach because I've finished all of last year's crop of greens.

Oh, and pots and pans:

I can't get quite as cripsy a skin with my non stick frypan. But I will enjoy it.

As a single person especially, you need to find ways to use up what you bought.

Sunday dinner was always a little nicer meal growing up, and I do try. I'm special too. Very few of my friends did so in my twenties, and not that many do it now.

I'm no longer religious, but routines and traditions have a place, frequently I hope.

Vegetables have a place too, I try to eat not enough but more than many,

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back