Well done me!

Tirilej

Still a Lady
CAG
MM
About a month ago there were strong forces working together to prevent me from smoking.

The store run out of the tobacco I always buy and I would have to wait a week for it.
A friend gave me an e-cigarette that actually tasted as a normal one.
A dear friend of mine died from Copd.

I won't give you a story about my last month but I think you can understand that it has been hell, in many ways. Before I have always thought that I need to be strong to find that right moment to quit. That I would have to be mentally prepared so I won't fail.
There are no such times. I have always made up reasons not to quit. No matter how sick it has made me, no matter the cost, there has never been the right time.
This wasn't the right time either, but it was my time :)

So after all these years as a smoker I will maybe be able to call myself a non-smoker soon. So far I'm just taking a break. I've quit for the moment. No promises. Almost noone knows. I can start again anytime. :rolleyes:

Some of you will think that it's a stupid way. That I need to burn my bridges to not go back, but I think we all have different ways to deal with these addictions or habits or whatever you want to call them. I don't know what will work, but I'll take one day at a time...and maybe maybe it will add up to such a long time that I will live a little longer ;)

Well done me!

Funny to read this because a bit over a month ago I decided to get an e-cigarette too just to try it. Haven't smoked a normal one since then. Did the same, didn't even think of it as quitting, didn't really tell anyone, was always thinking if I want to I can always go get more normal cigs, just never happened cause the e-cig was close enough.

What is really scary is how hard some people are fighting to stop e-cigs, either because they are uninformed or want to protect their income from selling stuff like nicotine gums.

You go girl. :thumbsup: I strongly believe that when you want to quit, no matter what the reason, you can do it. You just have to find that reason for yourself.

My mom quit smoking after 50 years. One day she went out to buy smokes and she came home and was unwrapping the pack and it suddenly hit her. She said "This is stupid" and quit cold turkey. She didn't say, "As soon as I finish this pack" or "Tomorrow I'm going to quit" She just threw the package in her freezer and after 2 years she finally gave the pack away.

Good luck to you!

I also have been promoting these to a few people after 2 aunts and a friend of mine successfully quit smoking with these E-buggers:) I also posted something about the "dangers" of them, but that was more for discussion sake...
So far, i am impressed at the ease with which the persons that did it, seem to have had!
I wonder why noone has made "weed" capsules yet, then i would be making the transition too:)
Anyway, keep strong dear friend :thumbsup:

Can anyone recommend a brand of ecig? There seem to be so many and the price varies so much.

strangely i got dragged to the ecig shop this weekend by the mrs, i ended up getting treated to a an expensive starter kit, my logic is always if you are going to do something right it tends to cost a bit more :p

and from what ive seen the people who start with a cheap starter kit tend to "upgrade" it very quickly so it ends up being false economy.

so i ended up with a tesla - which isnt the most portable by any means and looks like something out of dr who... but it seems to do the business,

the wierdest thing i found before trying one was all the wierd flavours, i thought i wanted it to taste of tobacco, but im glad the shop gave me a selection of flavours also, as within a day i swapped out tobacco for some caramel flavoured juice instead.

from my very limited knowledge of them my particular unit is nice since it gives you the option of altering the voltage/wattage at the press of a button so you can tweak around with it to get the "hit" just right.

I dont claim to have given up smoking yet, ive been at it for 20 years and never even tried giving up, but since ive had the ecig ive cut down to about 25% of my previous amount (about 25 a day...)

Give it a try

Gave up the real cigs on December 30th 2012 and started smoking the e-cig.Found them great but expensive enough so found out about the liquid version.
Ok they do not look inviting but as i still love the puff i have not had a proper cig since and the cost of my smoking has dropped from around 100 euro a week to about 10 per week.No more coughing my guts up either.Tried a few tobacco flavours and fruit ones and sometimes i mix them to find one i really enjoy.
Might seem expensive to buy the start up kit but well worth it in my eyes.

Wtg Tirilej!

I have been using an e-cig off and on for about a month. It is a very nice one my son bought for me.

I am trying to ease into it fully slow but sure. Die hard smoker here...

He's like an aficionado about these things. A vape shop 40 miles from here wants his to work for them.

He's not going to do it but many people around these parts have switched because of him.

Best of luck with your journey!

About a month ago there were strong forces working together to prevent me from smoking.

The store run out of the tobacco I always buy and I would have to wait a week for it.
A friend gave me an e-cigarette that actually tasted as a normal one.
A dear friend of mine died from Copd.

I won't give you a story about my last month but I think you can understand that it has been hell, in many ways. Before I have always thought that I need to be strong to find that right moment to quit. That I would have to be mentally prepared so I won't fail.
There are no such times. I have always made up reasons not to quit. No matter how sick it has made me, no matter the cost, there has never been the right time.
This wasn't the right time either, but it was my time :)

So after all these years as a smoker I will maybe be able to call myself a non-smoker soon. So far I'm just taking a break. I've quit for the moment. No promises. Almost noone knows. I can start again anytime. :rolleyes:

Some of you will think that it's a stupid way. That I need to burn my bridges to not go back, but I think we all have different ways to deal with these addictions or habits or whatever you want to call them. I don't know what will work, but I'll take one day at a time...and maybe maybe it will add up to such a long time that I will live a little longer ;)

Well done me!

Yes, this is not uncommon - smokers not planning to give up (like New Year etc.) but just having a random epiphany and saying "that's it no more!"
These cases tend to be more successful than the 'planners' are.
I gave up for 14 months, 4 months, 8 months and 6 months in the last 20 years. Still they beat me.

It's getting past the 'sixes' that people find difficult.
6 days, 6 weeks then 6 months.

Good luck and think of that fresh air you will inhale now! ;)

I gave up smoking and went over to 'snus', which went pretty ok for me. I had been thinking about it for quite some time, and then one night I just stopped buying any more ciggs when I was out. Eventhough snus may not be harmless, I believe it doesen't have the potensial to cause that many diseases atleast. The big motivating factor for me though, as I like working out was that it doesent harm the lung capacity.

Anyways, Good job! :)

I gave up smoking and went over to 'snus', which went pretty ok for me. I had been thinking about it for quite some time, and then one night I just stopped buying any more ciggs when I was out. Eventhough snus may not be harmless, I believe it doesen't have the potensial to cause that many diseases atleast. The big motivating factor for me though, as I like working out was that it doesent harm the lung capacity.

Anyways, Good job! :)

I have tried one time before and did also try to use 'snus' instead. I manage for four days.
That was 10 years ago and I would probably have made it if I hadn't been so aware of how I looked using that :oops: At the time I was working as a taxi driver and as a woman you do get more tip if you look good so...I continue to look good but also to cough and smell. Poor customers :D

So suddenly we were three that stopped almost at the same time.
Well done zap and jjezebel :thumbsup:

3 weeks without tobacco.

Hi its been 3 weeks for me without tobacco. I am now using e-cigs. I feel better already. I was using the e-cigs before along with the tobacco but woke up one day and thought what is the point? So now I use e-cigs. I like greensmoke but there expensive so I switched to eco ego which I like. I have had a few hard days where I really wanted a real cigarette but I didn't give in. I am glad. I am saving my health and not to mention the money.e-cigs are the best invention in years IMHO.

Way to go everybody!

Hi its been 3 weeks for me without tobacco. I am now using e-cigs. I feel better already. I was using the e-cigs before along with the tobacco but woke up one day and thought what is the point? So now I use e-cigs. I like greensmoke but there expensive so I switched to eco ego which I like. I have had a few hard days where I really wanted a real cigarette but I didn't give in. I am glad. I am saving my health and not to mention the money.e-cigs are the best invention in years IMHO.

Way to go everybody!

Then we were four :)

Well done us :notworthy

It's great to have support of other ex smokers! Having support even on a forum I think helps me to stay away from the nasty tobacco. It reinforces my desire to keep what I am doing. I was like you Trilej I started this by thinking I wasn't quitting just taking a break however the longer I have been off the smokes the desire to stay off increases if that makes any sense? I know I am still dependent on nicotine (which I now get from e-cigs), I hope to wean myself off the e-cigs sometime in the future. I know the EU and some contries want to regulate e-cigs (probably looking for more taxes) but I hope it doesn't make the e-cig route cost prohibitive.

I've been using ecigs for 7 years now. I've had dozens of them.

Stick with them, just experiment with the liquid until you find a sweet spot, oh and go for a variable voltage ecig too, they really help.

Good luck!

Just in subject, today read article that on Finland 20 cigs costs 5.5 euros, lol :)
Here it is 1 euro for 20, and this is very good, worse cost something like 0.5 euros.
I am smoker, but if they made it 5.5 euros, i will stop. But they never do this ofc.

Ah, forget, of course well done tirilej!

:D Thanks!

My cost for it before was not more then $25/month since I bought a kg raw tobacco and rolled them myself.
Money is never a reason to keep smoking though. E-cigs are more expensive for me but so far so good.

Just in subject, today read article that on Finland 20 cigs costs 5.5 euros, lol :)
Here it is 1 euro for 20, and this is very good, worse cost something like 0.5 euros.
I am smoker, but if they made it 5.5 euros, i will stop. But they never do this ofc.

Cigarettes in Ireland cost around 9.10 a pack and the 12.5g of tobacco costs 10. I was smoking one 12.5g a week so it didn't cost me so much. As I get older I realize how much damage I am doing to my lungs by smoking even 1 cigarette so that is the reason why I quit. I just hope that I quit in time.

I quit smoking 3 years ago after a stroke. I quit from 3 packs a day cold turkey. I don't think there is a right way or wrong way to quit. Do what ever works for you.
I wish you all the best in your efforts and encourage you not to stop at switching to e-cigs, but make the effort to go the distance.

Well done you indeed!

Wish our government would hurry up and approve some e-cigs here in Canada. Surely whatever risks there are to them are not as great as the risks of continuing to smoke.

While I live fairly close to the US border, I don't have a car, so a US post office box and smuggling them in won't work for me, as it's an ongoing thing to keep buying the refills.

Well done you indeed!

Wish our government would hurry up and approve some e-cigs here in Canada. Surely whatever risks there are to them are not as great as the risks of continuing to smoke.

While I live fairly close to the US border, I don't have a car, so a US post office box and smuggling them in won't work for me, as it's an ongoing thing to keep buying the refills.

I don't understand. Are you saying that they are already forbidden to sell there?
They are not approved here either yet but we can still buy them in stores and there are no problem buying them online.

I was really scared that my asthma would get worse from e-cigs but no problem at all so far.
Now I just need to start exercising and then I might get a normal life again. Who knows what this will lead to :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back