Weird issue on a new PC I bought?

DreamRJ

Out of this world!
MM
Weird issue on my new PC I bought.

So basically I am getting 1 long beep and 3 short beeps when I boot the computer up. I troubleshooted every step. Here is the real weird thing. I now have PINNED down exactly why the beeps is happening and it is totally weird and should not be doing it but it is.

So basically my Hisense TV I use as my Monitor for my PC & as my TV for my TiVo V6 Virgin Media box connected to my hdmi3 port and input source, then my PC is plugged into the only 1 slot on my TV that is 60hz HDMI port which is HDMI4 input source.

So long story short, after realizing after troubleshooting RAM and connections issues inside my base unit and eliminating them as the reasons. I then worked out and tested multiple times and this is indeed what is causing the damn beeps to happen.

So when I goto bed I always turn pc off and unplug it, cos of fire risk etc. So when I turn it on the next day, I sometimes put the pc on first before turning the TV display on and switching the source to HDMI4. So when I forget to do that it does the 1 long and 3 short beeps. I know this is the issue now cos I have now tested shutting down pc many many times on input source hdmi3 and input source hdmi4 is selected. When input source hdmi3 is selected I get the beeps, but when hdmi4 is selected I do not get the beeps..........

So can someone in the tech savvy mind set please explain to me why in the heck is this happening? it just makes no logical sense to me. I thought I was pretty tech savvy, but this has totally thrown me and made me speechless haha.

Thanks in advance

Rob

I thought 1 long beep and 3 short beeps was a ram issue but according to google it is a RAM or GPU problem, does it have a GPU or are you using onboard graphics?

ah good choice same as mine, maybe try another HDMI port on the card?
maybe the beeps are cos the screen is off and it beeps as there is no display.

ah okay pretty sure my one has two. you could try a DP but of course you'll need an adapter.

I already troubleshooted everything like I said in my @OP - I am tech savvy in that sense, I know the troubleshoot steps. I have done them all over and over.

I explained what the issue is as well. I was asking if any other tech savvy people know why this is happening what I explained in my first post. I have not found any similar issue when googling. But not sure what terms I would google to get a direct answer to this very weird specific issue.

So I appreciate your replies, but it is not the cables/gpu/ram 100%. Like I said in the @OP it is an issue with my Hisense TV because I forget to select the HDMI4 source and that is what causes my computer to beep the 1 long and 3 short bepps..........

Why don't you ask on a tech forum? Not sure CM is the place to expect any decent help with that.

Edit - somewhere like AVforums would get you an answer.

You've probabily tried anything that i would try then in that case, my next step would be to test the ram with memtest, one stick at a time as those beeps suggest a ram problem.

Why don't you ask on a tech forum? Not sure CM is the place to expect any decent help with that.

Edit - somewhere like AVforums would get you an answer.
jep might be a good idea, but im sure we got some tech experts in here, :)
but i always thought 1 long beep and 3 short beeps were G followed by old in a well known game :D

Hmmm what motherboard you using and what version of Nvidia drivers are you currently running? I've had similar issues in the past where my 3090 was connected to a display and on boot would complain about one of the displays for a period of about 4-5 drivers.

Just as a safety precaution, I'd DDU the drivers completely and install them fresh. Be good also to see if you get the issue without drivers being present.

I have done all of these things already, As I said, I only get the beeps under that scenario I explained above. Again I appreciate all the tips etc but I was not needing troubleshoot help. I have stated this many times. I was more just wanting to know why this was happening.

It is NOT my RAM/GPU/CABLES/DRIVERS - I already RULED them out. I already explained I know what the problem is. I just want to know why my TV is causing the beeps when I FORGET to switch to the correct source? That is all I would love to find out the answer too :D

I have done all of these things already, As I said, I only get the beeps under that scenario I explained above. Again I appreciate all the tips etc but I was not needing troubleshoot help. I have stated this many times. I was more just wanting to know why this was happening.

It is NOT my RAM/GPU/CABLES/DRIVERS - I already RULED them out. I already explained I know what the problem is. I just want to know why my TV is causing the beeps when I FORGET to switch to the correct source? That is all I would love to find out the answer too :D

So the problem doesn't occur when only the monitor is on when you boot the PC right? Haven't owned a Hisense before, but the old LG Oleds used to have an annoying habit with Nvidia cards where when you powered on the PC with the TV on it'd try to auto-switch the source immediately to the PC's HDMI input. (Given there's now a signal being pumped through).

I'm wondering if there's something on your Hisense that's trying to auto-switch but failing to do so which is flagging that there's no source/corrupt source that your GPU on POST isn't liking?

So the problem doesn't occur when only the monitor is on when you boot the PC right? Haven't owned a Hisense before, but the old LG Oleds used to have an annoying habit with Nvidia cards where when you powered on the PC with the TV on it'd try to auto-switch the source immediately to the PC's HDMI input. (Given there's now a signal being pumped through).

I'm wondering if there's something on your Hisense that's trying to auto-switch but failing to do so which is flagging that there's no source/corrupt source that your GPU on POST isn't liking?
Checking my tv settings now.........

Ok so after checking I had CEC controls off, I now enabled all options for detecting connected device. So this way if I forget it should auto switch the source when I turn my pc on. Fingers crossed this fixes my problem. I did not even think of checking my actual TV settings lol. But thanks for pointing me in that direction. I will keep u updated the next few days to see if this fixes it.

Playing Age Of Empires IV atm xD Addictive game haha :D

Last edited:
Well nah the CEC control is not an automatic switcher, My hiesnse TV is old model about 7 years old now. So this one does not have the 1-touch auto switch feature on it :(

But at least I can stop the beeps by just turning TV on and switching to HDMI4 input source first though....... :)

Weird issue on my new PC I bought.

So basically I am getting 1 long beep and 3 short beeps when I boot the computer up. I troubleshooted every step. Here is the real weird thing. I now have PINNED down exactly why the beeps is happening and it is totally weird and should not be doing it but it is.

So basically my Hisense TV I use as my Monitor for my PC & as my TV for my TiVo V6 Virgin Media box connected to my hdmi3 port and input source, then my PC is plugged into the only 1 slot on my TV that is 60hz HDMI port which is HDMI4 input source.

So long story short, after realizing after troubleshooting RAM and connections issues inside my base unit and eliminating them as the reasons. I then worked out and tested multiple times and this is indeed what is causing the damn beeps to happen.

So when I goto bed I always turn pc off and unplug it, cos of fire risk etc. So when I turn it on the next day, I sometimes put the pc on first before turning the TV display on and switching the source to HDMI4. So when I forget to do that it does the 1 long and 3 short beeps. I know this is the issue now cos I have now tested shutting down pc many many times on input source hdmi3 and input source hdmi4 is selected. When input source hdmi3 is selected I get the beeps, but when hdmi4 is selected I do not get the beeps..........

So can someone in the tech savvy mind set please explain to me why in the heck is this happening? it just makes no logical sense to me. I thought I was pretty tech savvy, but this has totally thrown me and made me speechless haha.

Thanks in advance

Rob
motherboard has speaker when something not connected or error will beep, looks like Video card not connected, clan abet and plug it in, you saying 1 long and 3 short beeps is Video Card Error,

Wish I could help, but it has been 8 years now since I migrated from what I perceive as the hell that is Windows to the computing utopia that I call MacOs :)

Sorry, this is in fact not helpful at all. Have you tried our AI friend ChatGPT? When it comes to tech issues I find it much quicker at getting to the solution of a problem, than the sometimes hours wasted trawling through google searches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back