watch out theres thief about

aceking123

Paleo Meister (means really, really old)
hi all , not often i type something like this but today im realy realy pi$$ed off , im a chippy by trade went out to my van youve guessed it, robbed blind.

alarm trashed & around 8k of tools gone , im a working guy i need those tools for my job & family , those thieving tossers dont think about anything other than what crap money there getting for my hard earned tools which i have to pay for , the worst part is my insurance only covers me for 2k , which is hardly anything compared with what theyve taken.

it realy makes my blood boil that they dont think before robbing , surely they would of thought this person works or something & may have a family & realy does need the tools to do there job

it looks like i shall be taking a little break from here for a while as ive now got to try & find around 4k to get some more tools to do my job , what a week completely pi$$ed off

sorry to moan but frustration is a understatemnet >:mad:

This is utterly awful to read. So sorry to hear that!

I don't know what a "chippy" does but from your post i suspect it's hands-on work that you cannot do without your tools so worse than damage in respect of property value, there is also derail to your business :mad:

So sorry to hear that jones!

That's really bad news :(

What's worse, even if the Police catch the wankers who robbed you (VERY unlikely if they're anything like the police round here), chances are your stuff will have already been shifted on and you wont get any of it back.

I hope you find a way to recover from this - maybe you know someone you could borrow some tools from?

I don't know what a "chippy" does but from your post i suspect it's hands-on work that you cannot do without your tools so worse than damage in respect of property value, there is also derail to your business :mad:
"Chippy" is UK slang for a Woodworker.

KK

I guess if you were storing tools of that value in your van you would have had decent insurance.
you should check your home insurance policy as that may cover you for the shortfall.

hi all , not often i type something like this but today im realy realy pi$$ed off , im a chippy by trade went out to my van youve guessed it, robbed blind.

alarm trashed & around 8k of tools gone , im a working guy i need those tools for my job & family , those thieving tossers dont think about anything other than what crap money there getting for my hard earned tools which i have to pay for , the worst part is my insurance only covers me for 2k , which is hardly anything compared with what theyve taken.

it realy makes my blood boil that they dont think before robbing , surely they would of thought this person works or something & may have a family & realy does need the tools to do there job

it looks like i shall be taking a little break from here for a while as ive now got to try & find around 4k to get some more tools to do my job , what a week completely pi$$ed off

Hi mate, really gutted to hear about this, can I ask out of interest whereabouts in the UK you are? I don't normally like to mention this, but I have had a pretty serious drug problem in the past (but vitally, I could always afford to support my own habit) which brought me into contact with a lot of the scum who commit these kinds of crimes and it always blew me away just how far they would go in order to get the next fix .. often they will justify it by telling themselves you will be insured, or the tools will belong to your employer, and of course plenty of them just won't care anyway. It's truly difficult for a normal person to comprehend that utter lack of any kind of decency or respect for your fellow man, thats for sure .. :(

I pray you get lucky and your stuff is returned, depending on what kind of tools you had in there I would seriously recommend you get yourself around all the pawnbroker type shops in your area, if you had power tools in there they will more than likely have tried to shift those at 9am this morning to go and score, and most of these people are registered at these shops in their own names. It's far from a cert, but definitely worth a try - I managed to recover my kid sisters laptop, mobile, DS, PS3 and Kindle the day after they were all stolen from my parents house doing exactly this, and it was only the 2nd place I tried who straight away said somebody had brought in the exact items I had just listed that very same morning ... best of luck and try and remember, these people will eventually get what is coming to them, not to mention, there pointless "existence" excuse for a life is miserable as sh*te as well, they may have got you down but you will pull it back together with a little time and effort whereas they have no future no matter what they do ... at least you can have a little laugh at their expense ...

thx guys . nope the problem is with insurance here is that i cannot get it above 2k , ive tried many places but there all pretty much over 200 quid a month which is not worth it max ( 4k ), my current one is for 14 quid a month , but they cant insure it higher than 2k , Im in no doubt they will pay it , but as a chippy ( carpenter ) you kind of build up those tools over a long period of time years infact hands tools are like gold dust nowadays , you cant get some of the old chisels & stuff i had because the metal is just cheap crap nowadays , i was also given some top grade chisels from a old boy whome come out of the trade money cant replace that (

already been onto police seems there was another 3 or 4 vans also done last night within a 5 miles of my place

i have some funds to go towards new ones but its going to take a few years before i get anywhere near whats been taken , insurance company are sending someone out to sort out alarm & new locks for van

ive made a few calls , i can get hold of some tools if i realy get stuck ,routers & heavy stuff is going to be a problem as there a few quid just to buy the blades, but remains to be seen wether they catch those tossers with my tools.

you cant get some of the old chisels & stuff i had because the metal is just cheap crap nowadays , i was also given some top grade chisels from a old boy whome come out of the trade money cant replace that

I found this for you? Outdated URL (Invalid) :(

really gutted for you mate, i had started off as a out-of-home designer and when my flat was broken into my laptop was stolen with backup drives and the lot. I felt like i lost a good chunk of my life that day :(

I sent you a PM, if it helps - maybe that link can get you some of the hand stuff that is hard to come by.

Sorry mate :(

So Sorry

Sorry to hear about your tools. I know how you feel. I was an electrician before I retired and I too had my truck broken into. They took about $8,000.00 in tools. The ones who do things like that don't think about the people they are stealing from or how hard they worked to get those things. They only think of the opportunity for them to feed their drug habit. I know it is a set back for you but keep your head up. Things will eventually work out and you will recoup your loses. It will take time but be strong and push on.

Sorry to hear about this!

Dear Mr. Jones,

I am so sorry to read about this...what a terrible thing to do! These ppl have no idea what honest work is all about and the time and effort it takes to get there. I know this must be a terribly difficult moment right now but one positive plus is that no one was hurt.

I hope they catch the ppl behind this and hope that you will be able to recover some of your tools.

Was just thinking - try to ask some neighbors if they heard or seen something or cameras in the area...if it was heavy equipment, it was bound to make some noise. Also, someone must have known whats in your van! Just an idea perhaps you can pass on to the police.

Hope you feel better soon.

Regards,
Rebecca

Hello MrJones,

Sorry to hear of your situation. It really sucks.

I would suggest you try Gumtree or your local classifieds. You might find your tools there.

There is also a possibility that you might find them on ebay.

Hope you manage to recover them or at least find a good deal on some new tools.

Kind Regards
Constantine

Im really sorry to hear that. It really sucks that it just screw your good week up though. I am hoping that you will recover all of those soon in no time to get back on feet to work again. I am hoping they find those idiots who stole your valuable tools you have in your van. What you figured the cost is so expensive I believed you. Tools are never cheap at all these days.

well a sort of lucky but not so lucky update just to top off my week

they say things come in three

firstly the sink/washing blocked friday , so sorted this on saturday/sunday

my little daughter likes to swing on doors , she was swinging on my bedroom unit with mirror attached , broken it clean off ( shes fine ) naughty little girl !

now the van, well there you go theres my three for this year )

upside is i had a week of this week to do some stuff inside at home , ive fogotten that i have taken off a bucket of hands tools & a drill , well they at least they didnt fleese me completely i can at least fix the door in the room with bolts this time as im not normaly home always at work other than weekends & evenings

so im going to look at this as a set back , had some calls from some people i work with if theres any they can help with , just to call them , & a personal thx to igor for private mail as he was very very kind & thank him for that )

Sorry to hear of your situation here Mrjones.
This is one thing I hate more is People stealing from others to gain something.
& you never know in today's society it just might be one of your neighbors doing this to you because they know what you store in your van.
It really sucks.
I wish you the best.
~T~

doesnt cover me ( thanks anyway )

This is just damned awefull and I feel for you being self employed myself.

Do you have something simular to general liability where you reside ? I had a worker whos tools were stolen off one of my work vans on a construction site years ago and they covered 100% of the loss.

This so pisses me off when people steal tools as they are hard to replace , slows up work projects and put you behind the eight ball and everyone involved suffers.

Laurie

This is just damned awefull and I feel for you being self employed myself.

Do you have something simular to general liability where you reside ? I had a worker whos tools were stolen off one of my work vans on a construction site years ago and they covered 100% of the loss.

This so pisses me off when people steal tools as they are hard to replace , slows up work projects and put you behind the eight ball and everyone involved suffers.

Laurie

hi , nope i have the main insurance & public liability insurance of course this does not cover tools or anything like that , this covers me from missed place tools falling or god forbid something more than this , i do have a cover when van is directly on site ( household ) but my van wasnt parked on site but at home (

as im self employed its pretty much down to me for all insurance covers , as you aware we dont get holiday pay or anything like that when i take a week off , i dont earn any money , then again i can take off time whenever i want & over the year can get paid more than a employed person it can be good & can be bad ive been self employed for a long time & see no need to change it , means i can work for as many firms as i want too without treading on other people coupled with doing my own private work,it does not restrict me in anyway

Oh that sucks. A similar thing happened to a friend of ours in the building trade, someone broke into his garage and stole all his tools, he was just sick about it. But he got through it and hopefully you will too. Like you, his insurance only covered part of the cost, so he did get some new stuff and then borrowed some so he could continue his work. He went around to all the pawnbrokers in town and told them what happened and that if someone comes in to sell a bulk load of tools to call the cops - also he kept a close eye on some of the free classified sites online in case something would turn up there.

Interesting, just last week there was a story in the news about a young woman whose bike was stolen and she saw it advertised on kijiji - she called the guy, set up a time to see him, and met him in a parking lot. He showed her the bike, she recognized at as hers, so she jumped on it and rode away.

If you see your tools advertised, take a couple of your biggest meanest buddies along with you. :)

Damn thieves

So sorry to hear about your predicament mrjones, this is such a rotten day and age where lots of people have no respect whatsoever for other people's stuff. I hope that the police catch these guys (if there's a remote chance) so you can sue them for your losses, and that you'll manage to find a solution to get by for now. All the best.

Insurance is always high for a portable vehicle, it invites inherit risk. I would imagine the premium was too high to cover all eventualities.

It’s easy to say things with hindsight that you should always carry the minimum of tools on the van for each job but sometimes this is not practical.

Going forward I hope you can call in favours and hire the bare minimum of equipment to get you through this and get yourself back on your feet.

I wish you good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back