Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Health And Wellness

Vegans, vegetarians and health-conscious eaters

Jasminebed

Game old gal
While I am not a vegetarian, I do eat a lot of meatless meals, or ones with minimal amounts ... like 3 strips of bacon while making a pound of dried beans into pork and beans.

I eat a lot of legumes, and generally have a pretty high fibre diet. I rarely eat out or get take-out, and don't buy a lot of prepared foods.

I'm a big fan of spicy foods. I make my own hot sauces with peppers from my garden, and have been playing with different mustards from scratch.

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
My favorite food is Mediterranean. Ottawa has the best cuisine for that. I found out an interesting fact, when I went to McMaster. Did you know it takes 24 hours for ONE glass of milk to digest? 24 hours! And they tell you to drink 4 glasses a day.

dionysus

Good(w)ill Ambassador
CAG
MM
My favorite food is Mediterranean. Ottawa has the best cuisine for that. I found out an interesting fact, when I went to McMaster. Did you know it takes 24 hours for ONE glass of milk to digest? 24 hours! And they tell you to drink 4 glasses a day.
oh gods, the take-out/eat-in along the main street in Ottawa is awesome, the middle eastern/mediterranean fare; loved that when I lived there. :)

maxd

Complaints (PAB) Manager
Staff member
If I recall correctly @maxd is a vegetarian (or his wife?).

Yup, full veg, 21 years. Had tried it a little earlier in life but had no clue what I was doing and bodged it up.

Met a wonderful woman, rather fancied her but going full veg was a per-requisite to doing the co-habitation thing. That was a no-brainer and I've been a veg-head since.

Moral of the story being (a) there's more to being a happy vegetarian than just cutting meat out of your diet, you basically have to retrain yourself to cook, and (b) never let your dietary habits stand in the way of a good relationship. :)

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
Yup, full veg, 21 years. Had tried it a little earlier in life but had no clue what I was doing and bodged it up.

Met a wonderful woman, rather fancied her but going full veg was a per-requisite to doing the co-habitation thing. That was a no-brainer and I've been a veg-head since.

Moral of the story being (a) there's more to being a happy vegetarian than just cutting meat out of your diet, you basically have to retrain yourself to cook, and (b) never let your dietary habits stand in the way of a good relationship. :)
I lived the life for many years. Zero processed foods in the house. No dairy,meat,and only produce,legumes,rice and everything was natural. I would even fast 3 days a month. For what ever reason that I can not remember, I stopped doing it, except the dairy. I'm slowly getting back into things. Rice bread was a huge staple in our house, but that seems hard to find now.

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
I lived the life for many years. Zero processed foods in the house. No dairy,meat,and only produce,legumes,rice and everything was natural. I would even fast 3 days a month. For what ever reason that I can not remember, I stopped doing it, except the dairy. I'm slowly getting back into things. Rice bread was a huge staple in our house, but that seems hard to find now.
I should add too, that soya is a huge precursor for hormone related breast cancer.

dionysus

Good(w)ill Ambassador
CAG
MM
I should add too, that soya is a huge precursor for hormone related breast cancer.
outdated info, bebo
from the Mayo Clinic

Will eating soy increase my risk of breast cancer?

Studies show that a lifelong diet rich in soy foods reduces the risk of breast cancer in women. This protective effect is less dramatic for women who eat less soy or who start eating soy later in life. Soy contains protein, isoflavones and fiber, all of which provide health benefits.

It was once thought that soy foods increase the risk of breast cancer. However, eating a moderate amount of soy foods does not increase risk of breast cancer — or other types of cancer. A moderate amount is one to two servings a day of whole-soy foods, such as tofu, soy milk and edamame.

So where did the idea come from that soy increases breast cancer risk? Isoflavones, which are found in soy, are plant estrogens. High levels of estrogen have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer. However, food sources of soy don't contain high enough levels of isoflavones to increase the risk of breast cancer.

Soy or isoflavone supplements, on the other hand, generally contain higher levels of isoflavones. Some studies have suggested a link between soy or isoflavone supplements and an increased risk of breast cancer in women who have a family or personal history of breast cancer or thyroid problems.

Talk with your doctor or dietitian before taking supplements.

Jasminebed

Game old gal
Dinner tonight was ratatoille, long been a favourite. Had tomatoes in my freezer from last year I had roasted before freezing, and eggplant and both green and yellow zucchini were on for $1 a pound. Used just one seranno that I froze from last year, but I had to buy bell peppers. Half a jar of premade pasta sauce got added, as I like mine fairly thick, rather than a longer cook time. I've had a jar of canned sliced black olives in my cupboards for quite a while, so drained and added 2/3 of that, the rest I will save for nachos this week.

I'm really looking forward to having it tomorrow, that's definitely a dish that improves overnight in the fridge. It really helps to saute your different veggies separately, as eggplant benefits from a long cooking, and you want to add your sauteed zucchini towards the last 20 mins or so to preserve crunch. I sauteed my onions, then garlic and hot pepper and dried spices in a dutch oven (pepper flakes work well too), tossed in my frozen tomatos (or canned, drained), and dumped in the bell pepper without a sautee. 20 or so mins in the oven with a stir, then added the tender-crisp sautee zucchini and drained olives for another 20 mins. A little balsamic vinegar and fresh lemon juice, a final 7 minutes while I warmed some sliced baguette spread with garlic butter and wrapped in foil.

This will be over pasta tomorrow, and possibly cold for a snack at some point. I'll freeze enough to do braised lamb shoulder chops with another day when I don't mind having the oven on for a couple of hours.

Chick peas added early to the pot make a great vegan main, and you could even top with cheese for a casserole if you eat dairy.

One thing I'm pretty much sure is all those recipes with the vegetables all half-mooned and prettily arranged upright in a pie plate and baked look better than they taste.

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
I went off that medication yesterday. I couldn't handle the side effects. I was imagining that is what chemo would be like. I slept this afternoon, and then my physio therapist came in. I hadnt seen him in over a week because I was so sick. I feel so much better! I just stuck to fruit and almonds tonight. Watermelon, cantelope, grapes and peaches. So so dehydrated!

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
I even turned down a book offer. I won 2 days in a row at House Of Jack, so I closed shop for a few weeks to get my health more stable. My winnings were off a 10 dollar, and 30 dollar deposit! Yah gotta like that :D

asm

Experienced Member
PABinit
Haven't eaten red meat or chicken in a decade or so. Tried some full vegan stints but for some reason it didn't work out. Considering it again though, as it's becoming easier and easier with progress in the food industry. I eat fish around once a week and consume milk-based protein because of my rigorous training habits. Tried replacing milk based proteins with soy etc. but my skin broke out horrifically.

Silly thing is though, I started mine for ethical and ecological reasons. Those still stand, but nowadays I'd do it just for the taste. Around 6 months ago I got wasted and ordered a falafel roll. Anyhow, that moron who worked the kitched made me a kebab roll. Of course it was takeaway so I couldn't complain at 4am. I came home absolutely sloshed, chomped down on that muhfukka without knowing, and to be honest while kebab was pretty much the only thing I kind of ..."missed" regarding meat eating, after years without it, it tasted like gingivitis and iron tablets. It really did, that was the first thing that came to mind.

Never eating that shit again. :D

Jasminebed

Game old gal
I'm not entirely sure what I ate for lunch today, and as part of dinner, as I don't actually remember cooking it last year. But I know I made those chickpeas from dried, and indian tip to add teabags while simmering, the okra I know was frozen, and since I found 1/2 slice of italian sausage, I'm guessing most of that got served in the first go round. There were a few whole cherry tomatoes, which I know I roasted off first, and the spicing was vaguely Indian instead of my usual mex mix. Not my usual tumeric heavy curry powder, maybe some kind of madras I got on a trip to Bulk Barn?

It was pretty good, pity I don't remember how to make it again. The next incarnation will also be good. Beans really are my friends. I love having a little cooler weather to make food that takes longer to cook, but a couple of doctor appts left me wiped and looking into what was premade in the freezer, plus nothing lasts forever.

bebo67

Ueber Meister
PABnonaccred
MM
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around. Been taking care of business. I noticed I can't start a new thread? I'm trying to add more things to discuss beside vegan food :)

dionysus

Good(w)ill Ambassador
CAG
MM
Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't been around. Been taking care of business. I noticed I can't start a new thread? I'm trying to add more things to discuss beside vegan food :)
youre admin; i dont why you couldnt; ive created threads here and elsewhere