UK local radio - ofcom has just put the final nail in coffin

steveh35

Dormant Account
Today Ofcom has ruled that local commercial radio stations no longer have to provide separate breakfast shows on their radio stations and radio groups can have networked breakfast shows, this mean local radio stations only have to provide 3 hours of local programming per day (persumably drivetime).

This will mean stations like Heart & Capital can provide a breakfast show nationally (but with local news & travel) and local stations like Bauers city networks could drop the old heritage names under current Ofcom rules stations must provide a separate breakfast show of at least 3-4 hours and a 3 hours show during the day usually drivetime.

It is seen by some as following the itv model of removing the regions for a national brand.

I grew up with local stations for my area and think this ruling, if not surprising is a shame, radio stations like Heart are just jukeboxes these days with no personalities and mostly voicetracked shows it is a shame to see them die like they are.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

I used to have Heart FM on when in the car

As much as it was mainly background noise and tolerable, I have to say, I have never come across a TV / radio station which repeats the same 15-20 songs so, so many times in such a short amount of time.

I now prefer silence or CD's I burnt back in my "dance days" in the 1990's

I used to have Heart FM on when in the car

As much as it was mainly background noise and tolerable, I have to say, I have never come across a TV / radio station which repeats the same 15-20 songs so, so many times in such a short amount of time.

I now prefer silence or CD's I burnt back in my "dance days" in the 1990's
That was my point in saying they are jukebox stations they just play songs and have no concern for the listeners, the average listen listens for just a few minutes at a time which is why they repeat music so often.

It is a disgrace to see how radio has changed from 20-30 years ago to now.

Magic fm is killin me right now. Bottle of wine and a rare tune in to the tv station while playing poker to relax and its like hey bro, you remember these particular songs that im playing in a row that hold significant memories of the time of your life when you were in love?
I just want to gamble and chill mofo :axeman2:
Ill give the previous version of heart FM some credit, they used to play tunes for me and give a shout out when i text them my heart breaking reasons lol.

Nowadays its like they play one CD on repeat.

Last edited:
I gave up with FM radio years back, non stop commercials and the same songs. Also, what the hell did they do to that DAB service? Half the stations were in MONO?????

Haven't looked back since getting SiriusXM in my car and home. 130+ stations with no commercials and listenable disc-jockeys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back