UK EU Referendum

citizenx

Non-Gambler
So this is quickly approaching.

I'm sure you are all well aware of what the vote is on - Do the people of the UK want to remain within the EU. Simple yes or no.

I know what my fellow Brits think but am curious, what do the rest of you think? Would you vote yes or no?

Especially keen to find out what my fellow EU citizens think.

Let's keep this one friendly folks.

I'll tell you what I think nearer the time :) My mind is made up though!

TBH, never understood why there is even a debate to leave the EU.

- you are getting money from the EU every year
- your farmers will be broke without any subsidies from the EU
- you can travel without any hassle around the EU
- you still have your strong GBP
- your companies can do easy trade with the EU countries
- ....list not complete

Leaving the EU would open a can of worms, is my opinion :eek:

I agree with Harry, leaving the EU could possibly open a can of worms for the UK and may not be a good move. I am interested to see the outcome of this vote.

I'm 100% in favour of the UK staying in the EU. I like the idea of an organization that combines not divides Europe politically and economically so of course they should stay in, no question. But you decide.

TBH, never understood why there is even a debate to leave the EU.

- you are getting money from the EU every year
- your farmers will be broke without any subsidies from the EU
- you can travel without any hassle around the EU
- you still have your strong GBP
- your companies can do easy trade with the EU countries
- ....list not complete

Leaving the EU would open a can of worms, is my opinion :eek:

Theres many strong points for staying Harry.

But leaving means the country can control migration better.

Also wont have to let all EU workers into country.

Also the country will not have to answer to Brussels on important matters like Human Rights.

Many more reasons both for and against leaving. That's why im not bothered either way which way it goes.

But way Europe is going with the refugee crisis many people will be voting to leave as they feel its best way to control amount of people entering our country and taking jobs etc.

Also wont have to let all EU workers into country.

Also the country will not have to answer to Brussels on important matters like Human Rights.

Many more reasons both for and against leaving. That's why im not bothered either way which way it goes.

But way Europe is going with the refugee crisis many people will be voting to leave as they feel its best way to control amount of people entering our country and taking jobs etc.

I have had a thought regarding migration etc. What about all the expat Brits living in France, Spain, Portugal and Italy will they run into problems if the UK leaves the EU and effectively closes it's borders? The restrictions might go both ways leaving many of the expats in an awkward situation. This is probably a non-issue and just a thought.

I of course am selfishly thinking of Ireland. We export quite a lot of food etc. to the UK so the Irish economy could suffer greatly if the UK left the EU. Our economy is fragile at the moment to say the least.

I know what my fellow Brits think

Thanks for the thread, I am not wanting to give my opinion or get into a political debate either but I do like keeping my ear to the ground.

However I gotta ask about this quote. What do we think then? Because I am a fellow brit and I 100% have no idea which way this vote is going to go so I am curious what you think here.

2. Also wont have to let all EU workers into country.

3. Also the country will not have to answer to Brussels on important matters like Human Rights.

Understand your point Paul, however, you have already some 30-40% of your population with migration background which is mainly due to your old colonial ties, e.g. India, Pakistan etc.

1. You control it already, the channel is keeping things in check at any time, it is not like 1000's would swim ashore

2. Kick out all the migrant workers and you wont have anybody cleaning your streets, offices and house, keeping the 7/11 opened 24hrs, caring for you in the hospital ward etc etc

3. Brussels absolutely adheres to the the UN charter of Human Rights and in 2000 added its own Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union

The myth of taking jobs and the alleged invasion of migration are used by politicians to scare the British to keep "schtumm" when the next cuts are being pushed through legislation.

I lived in the UK for nearly 7 years from 1998-2004, hence i know some of the paranoia the politicians like to spread. How about the countries where Brits are taking the jobs (e.g. Thailand has a strong ex-pat community) are sending them back to the UK? It wouldn't be possible. We developed into a global world and borders become slowly non-existent.

I have had a thought regarding migration etc. What about all the expat Brits living in France, Spain, Portugal and Italy will they run into problems if the UK leaves the EU and effectively closes it's borders? The restrictions might go both ways leaving many of the expats in an awkward situation. This is probably a non-issue and just a thought.

I of course am selfishly thinking of Ireland. We export quite a lot of food etc. to the UK so the Irish economy could suffer greatly if the UK left the EU. Our economy is fragile at the moment to say the least.

True osulle.

What I posted isn't necessary my opinion.

But with all the reports etc. about Europe getting flooded with refugees a lot of people feel leaving EU will make it easier to keep them out of this country.

Also many people believe leaving EU means no longer have to let any EU members come into country as they please to work. Ie polish, Romanian workers etc.

Personally I think the whole things a mess and its another way of dividing the country.

But I guess I feel like that as its not long since Scotland voted whether or not to leave UK. That Referendum caused a lot of anger in the country and still does. Even tho we stayed in UK its non stop hearing about another Referendum to leave UK soon.

Understand your point Paul, however, you have already some 30-40% of your population with migration background which is mainly due to your old colonial ties, e.g. India, Pakistan etc.

1. You control it already, the channel is keeping things in check at any time, it is not like 1000's would swim ashore

2. Kick out all the migrant workers and you wont have anybody cleaning your streets, offices and house, keeping the 7/11 opened 24hrs, caring for you in the hospital ward etc etc

3. Brussels absolutely adheres to the the UN charter of Human Rights and in 2000 added its own Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union

The myth of taking jobs and the alleged invasion of migration are used by politicians to scare the British to keep "schtumm" when the next cuts are being pushed through legislation.

I lived in the UK for nearly 7 years from 1998-2004, hence i know some of the paranoia the politicians like to spread. How about the countries where Brits are taking the jobs (e.g. Thailand has a strong ex-pat community) are sending them back to the UK. It wouldn't be possible. We developed into a global world and borders become slowly non-existent.

As ive said Harry that's not necessary my opinion.

But sadly this country has a lot of hatred still.

There is a lot of people that feel this country has already got to many foreigners and is losing its own identity. And sadly with all the reports about refugees and terrorists and scare stories the amount of racist attacks etc. is rising fast in this country.

Interesting comments folks.

Have tried to respond to some of you but my view just can't be hidden when I do.

I'm not afraid of expressing it but think it'd be better to allow debate to flow rather than saying what I think and why too soon.

True osulle.

What I posted isn't necessary my opinion.

But with all the reports etc. about Europe getting flooded with refugees a lot of people feel leaving EU will make it easier to keep them out of this country.

Also many people believe leaving EU means no longer have to let any EU members come into country as they please to work. Ie polish, Romanian workers etc.

Personally I think the whole things a mess and its another way of dividing the country.

But I guess I feel like that as its not long since Scotland voted whether or not to leave UK. That Referendum caused a lot of anger in the country and still does. Even tho we stayed in UK its non stop hearing about another Referendum to leave UK soon.

I also recall the government biggest case for Scotland to stay in the UK was to stay in the EU. If Scotland became independent it would no longer be part of the EU. If many Scots voted based on that fact to stay in the EU then I guess there will be many pissed off Scots if the UK decides to leave the EU now. I for one would not like to face the wrath of the Scots:D

I agree with you Europe is a big ole mess right now and many economies are trying hard to stay above water and cannot afford the influx of refugees right now. Simple as that. I think the refugee crisis should be a whole world issue and not just an EU issue other countries outside of the EU should take some of the refugees and not just EU countries. Just my super charged 2cents on the matter.

Interesting comments folks.

Have tried to respond to some of you but my view just can't be hidden when I do.

I'm not afraid of expressing it but think it'd be better to allow debate to flow rather than saying what I think and why too soon.

You have a right to your opinion and you can express it freely. This is a debate you started and a friendly one at that so nobody will attack you for your opinion. They are valid arguments for staying in or getting out either way.

As ive said Harry that's not necessary my opinion.

But sadly this country has a lot of hatred still.

There is a lot of people that feel this country has already got to many foreigners and is losing its own identity. And sadly with all the reports about refugees and terrorists and scare stories the amount of racist attacks etc. is rising fast in this country.

Sorry Paul if my answers sounded too harsh. Wasn't meant to be.

Personally i would always chose total independence before anything else. It is the only way you can keep your identity as complete as possible.

The refugee crisis has been around for some time, it only peaked last year and would have gotten worse if Mr. Orban would not have started with the border closures. I agree that many people, including me probably, would get scared when you see the sheer numbers.

Me being a migrant myself, i had the privilege to live in 7 countries until today and by far the easiest to set-up home was the EU. The worries however, were the same in every country, be it for the identity, the job, the livelihood etc. etc. I think it will need another few generations after ours has gone to see a clear direction our society is heading, open and global or back to the "good ole days".

One example of the those "good ole days", just a few 100 years back: to travel from Salzburg to Hamburg you were stopped over 20 times to pay taxes and road duties for each county you were passing on your journey as Germany was that widely split. The EU is a much larger scale but basically the same would happen again if everybody would decide to leave the union and start out on his own.

You have a right to your opinion and you can express it freely. This is a debate you started and a friendly one at that so nobody will attack you for your opinion. They are valid arguments for staying in or getting out either way.

This is a fair point. I'm a wee bit wary simply because I'd love to hear contrary views from others in the UK, EU and further afield and see if i can accept any. I try to have an open mind but on this i'm compelled to one position, that is a very strong OUT vote.

Why?

Firstly, I love being part of a strong continent of rich culture and history. Some of it good, some of it very bleak. It is what we are.

I have no issues at all with the people of the EU or its upcoming members. I have a great deal of concern about what is, for me, a fundamentally undemocratic insititution which seems to serve its own agenda and care little for the people it purports to represent.

I believe that it is the duty of a nation to look after its people first and foremost. If that can be achieved and then can offer advantages to others then that's great.

BUT.

I don't like how freedom of movement is only really beneficial one way. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing place in Europe and i've seen many first hand. However, there are approximately 1.69m unemployed British people. They should be in work before we admit more to compete against them. As it is, we see wage compression and lack of opportunity for our young people. I don't think this is fair.

We talk of being able to move freely throughout Europe but in most cases, it is not economically sound for working age people to go, instead it feels like a one way street where people come in (understandably) but unless Brits want a significant wage cut then there is little benefit to go abroad,

The EU doesn't feel like it is geared up to represent its people, The UK represents 8.4% of the EU Parliament voting power which means that our voice is not heard, beyond that of protest. For a nation which survived WW1 and WW2 without incursion, it doesn't seem right that our wishes are easily over-ruled in our homeland.

The vote in the 70's wasn't on political union but on a a trading arrangement. Recent research suggests that just under 60% of UK legislation is based on EU diktat. I don't like that.

We aren't members of Schengen so we still show passports at borders. Sure, it is a mere formality but is no different from travelling most countries under a UK passport.

Finally, we've apparently been "opted out" of closer integration. I don't buy it. That isn't what history has taught us with the EU. If we vote to remain, I see it as a path to an EU superstate which will destroy our sovereignty until it [the EU] collapses, which I feel it will. I believe it is only a matter of time until its actions make it unsustainable. At that point, all talk of a controlled exit will seem like a much better idea but it will be too late. Instead, we'll be front and centre in the ruins of a failed project to force together culurally and economically different nations.

The bottom line is, I don't feel represented, involved or comfortable with where we're going, without consent. I feel kinship with most people of Europe but not with the insitutions we never signed up to.

This is a fair point. I'm a wee bit wary simply because I'd love to hear contrary views from others in the UK, EU and further afield and see if i can accept any. I try to have an open mind but on this i'm compelled to one position, that is a very strong OUT vote.

Why?

Firstly, I love being part of a strong continent of rich culture and history. Some of it good, some of it very bleak. It is what we are.

I have no issues at all with the people of the EU or its upcoming members. I have a great deal of concern about what is, for me, a fundamentally undemocratic insititution which seems to serve its own agenda and care little for the people it purports to represent.

I believe that it is the duty of a nation to look after its people first and foremost. If that can be achieved and then can offer advantages to others then that's great.

BUT.

I don't like how freedom of movement is only really beneficial one way. Don't get me wrong, there are some amazing place in Europe and i've seen many first hand. However, there are approximately 1.69m unemployed British people. They should be in work before we admit more to compete against them. As it is, we see wage compression and lack of opportunity for our young people. I don't think this is fair.

We talk of being able to move freely throughout Europe but in most cases, it is not economically sound for working age people to go, instead it feels like a one way street where people come in (understandably) but unless Brits want a significant wage cut then there is little benefit to go abroad,

The EU doesn't feel like it is geared up to represent its people, The UK represents 8.4% of the EU Parliament voting power which means that our voice is not heard, beyond that of protest. For a nation which survived WW1 and WW2 without incursion, it doesn't seem right that our wishes are easily over-ruled in our homeland.

The vote in the 70's wasn't on political union but on a a trading arrangement. Recent research suggests that just under 60% of UK legislation is based on EU diktat. I don't like that.

We aren't members of Schengen so we still show passports at borders. Sure, it is a mere formality but is no different from travelling most countries under a UK passport.

Finally, we've apparently been "opted out" of closer integration. I don't buy it. That isn't what history has taught us with the EU. If we vote to remain, I see it as a path to an EU superstate which will destroy our sovereignty until it [the EU] collapses, which I feel it will. I believe it is only a matter of time until its actions make it unsustainable. At that point, all talk of a controlled exit will seem like a much better idea but it will be too late. Instead, we'll be front and centre in the ruins of a failed project to force together culurally and economically different nations.

The bottom line is, I don't feel represented, involved or comfortable with where we're going, without consent. I feel kinship with most people of Europe but not with the insitutions we never signed up to.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and I agree with a lot of your points. I think the best solution would be to overhaul the EU political system to give each country fairer representation and more control over their own individual borders. I was living in the US when the EEC became the EU and I didn't like the direction that was going. I don't believe in a EU superstate as I don't think that is in the best interest of the European people. I also don't like the idea of Germany calling all the shots for the rest of Europe. It's like they took us over all be it financially but Germany is still very much the main power of the EU at the moment.

Having said all that for the here and now I don't think it would make good financial sense for the UK to leave the EU at the moment. I am very interested to see what will happen if the UK does decide to leave. Honestly I have to admit I am a bit afraid of my country's stability if that happens. It is my opinion and I could be wrong but Ireland and the UK have the strongest ties within the EU and Ireland depends a lot on the export income it derives from the UK.

No matter what happens though I think we live in uncertain and scary times and I for one don't like it one little bit.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and I agree with a lot of your points. I think the best solution would be to overhaul the EU political system to give each country fairer representation and more control over their own individual borders. I

I think of it like this - In spite of the mass influx of migrants over the last few years, in spite of the UK forcing its vote, the EU offered absolutely no concessions at all.David Cameron's regnegotiation was a waste of time. If the EU won't reform in spite of one its largest contributors threatening to leave, will it ever?

was living in the US when the EEC became the EU and I didn't like the direction that was going. I don't believe in a EU superstate as I don't think that is in the best interest of the European people. I also don't like the idea of Germany calling all the shots for the rest of Europe. It's like they took us over all be it financially but Germany is still very much the main power of the EU at the moment.

It is. And who is in charge there? Merkel? Who will sell out her own people and country for her own agenda. Frankly she disgusts me.

Having said all that for the here and now I don't think it would make good financial sense for the UK to leave the EU at the moment. I am very interested to see what will happen if the UK does decide to leave.

I suspect the floodgates will open and the insitution will disintegrate.

Honestly I have to admit I am a bit afraid of my country's stability if that happens. It is my opinion and I could be wrong but Ireland and the UK have the strongest ties within the EU and Ireland depends a lot on the export income it derives from the UK.

I was in smalltown Ireland back in 2009. I remember seeing the brand new housing which was effectively abandoned. It was so sad. Have strong familial ties with Eire and could see how it had impacted after the collapse of the Celtic Tiger.

No matter what happens though I think we live in uncertain and scary times and I for one don't like it one little bit.

I understand that. I think a new union uniting the people rather than the polticians could be a better future but I suspect we have to get through difficult times to reach that.

I'm 100% in favour of the UK staying in the EU. I like the idea of an organization that combines not divides Europe politically and economically so of course they should stay in, no question. But you decide.

Do you think it unites the people or the politicians?

Thanks for the thread, I am not wanting to give my opinion or get into a political debate either but I do like keeping my ear to the ground.

However I gotta ask about this quote. What do we think then? Because I am a fellow brit and I 100% have no idea which way this vote is going to go so I am curious what you think here.

My feeling is that most people aren't happy but many don't really get the impact of the EU on every part of their lives.

I'm not even going to pretend i can call the outcome though, its so finely balanced. The passion exists amonst the out campaign though. There is little to none in the remain side. They're trying to create fear and anxiety. Hardly a strong basis for our future in my opinion.

My vote would be to leave EU.

I don't think its wrong the UK wanting to look after itself rather than being dictated to buy other countries. With Europe in a right mess at the moment and no sign of things getting better any time soon, why would we want to stay?

No country has left the EU before, so no one can predict exactly what will happen. leaving the EU could be the best thing the UK has done in a long time.

one good thing could come from leaving the EU we could get kicked out of Eurovision Song Contest:D

I think of it like this - In spite of the mass influx of migrants over the last few years, in spite of the UK forcing its vote, the EU offered absolutely no concessions at all.David Cameron's regnegotiation was a waste of time. 1.If the EU won't reform in spite of one its largest contributors threatening to leave, will it ever?

2. It is. And who is in charge there? Merkel? Who will sell out her own people and country for her own agenda. Frankly she disgusts me.

3. I suspect the floodgates will open and the insitution will disintegrate.

I was in smalltown Ireland back in 2009. I remember seeing the brand new housing which was effectively abandoned. It was so sad. Have strong familial ties with Eire and could see how it had impacted after the collapse of the Celtic Tiger.

4. I understand that. I think a new union uniting the people rather than the polticians could be a better future but I suspect we have to get through difficult times to reach that.

1. The average rebate to the UK was appr. 4-5Billion GBP / year since 1984 when M. Tatcher negotiated it. Hence your net contribution to the EU budget is lower than that of the Netherlands and comparable to Belgium!!! Further deduct the agricultural and other subsidies the UK is receiving and your net contribution is trending sharply towards "0". Please do not post misleading stuff.

The EU offered Cameron an even higher rebate to sweeten the UK stay in the EU, hence the contribution would be virtually "0".

2. In which case did Merkel sell out her own people? Please show an example. Posting simple accusations is totally wrong and pure instigation.

3. Do you really think the UK is that important to the EU??? Do you really think smaller countries and those receiving money from the EU will ever vote for leaving the EU???

4. Really?? What exactly would you do differently to make it a people's union and hence in your opinion better?

What hard times please??? The UK average yearly income is among the highest in the world, your unemployment rate is 5.1% which is very close to what is called "full employment". Please state what in your opinion is the "hard times"?

Don't get me wrong, i am very open to debate but stick to facts please.

1. The average rebate to the UK was appr. 4-5Billion GBP / year since 1984 when M. Tatcher negotiated it. Hence your net contribution to the EU budget is lower than that of the Netherlands and comparable to Belgium!!! Further deduct the agricultural and other subsidies the UK is receiving and your net contribution is trending sharply towards "0". Please do not post misleading stuff.

There is nothing misleading about the fact that the UK is a net contributor to the EU.

This briefing for the UK Parliament
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
includes a very helpful table showing the UK's contribution and the effect of the rebate.

In 2015, the UK's gross contribution was 17.8bn GBP, net, 8.5bn. The highest net contribution between 2009 and 2015 was 10.5bn in 2013.7

You speak of subsidies and other money that may come back. Arguably there is some merit to this but it is British taxpayers money which isn't under the control of their parliament and treasury.

The EU offered Cameron an even higher rebate to sweeten the UK stay in the EU, hence the contribution would be virtually "0".

I don't recall hearing about that offer but this isn't a simple economic question but one of sovereignty, of the direction the UK feels it should be going in the 21st century.

2. In which case did Merkel sell out her own people? Please show an example. Posting simple accusations is totally wrong and pure instigation.

Most recently, she has "consented" to the prosecution of a German citizen for "insulting" the Turkish President. That is scandalous but it is incredibly revealling of her mindset. The right of the people who she represents to express themselves freely is secondary to the feelings of foreign leaders.

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

This isn't how we do things in Europe.

Then there is the mass influx of migration she triggered last year. The events in Cologne at New Year and the often unreported discomfort many Germans are expressing due to this immigration. But they and their views do not matter. This is our future if we remain in the EU. These migrants will get EU passports in years to come and will be afforded the full range of rights that any EU passport holder has.

There is the intention to admit Turkey and many other nations which have far lower levels of prosperity and GDP that much of western Europe has, the effect will be new waves of migration to countries which are already buckling under the strain, impacts on culture and quality of life for those who are already here.

The theory is that you bring all member nations up to the same standard of living over time. The reality is that well developed nations are seeing their quality of life reduce whilst less well developed are seeing an increase. Eventually they will, in theory, meet somewhere in the middle.

Why would the people of any nation passively accept a reduction in their quality of life for a project they have little affiliation with? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

3. Do you really think the UK is that important to the EU??? Do you really think smaller countries and those receiving money from the EU will ever vote for leaving the EU???

I honestly don't care whether the EU institution and its officials think the UK is important to their project or not. I'm more interested in what other European citizens think than faceless mandarins in Brussels! Smaller countries which receive a big benefit from being a member? No, why would they? Larger nations which are more prone to experiencing negative benefits, sure. I think it is only a matter of time before a nation leaves - be that the UK or another. At that point i think a chain reaction will begin and the insitution will change dramatically, if not collapse entirely.

4. Really?? What exactly would you do differently to make it a people's union and hence in your opinion better?

The British people were sold on the idea of the EEC, an economic community, a trading partnership. That's what it should be. Instead it has an agenda of becoming a federal state, subsuming the nations of Europe until all major policy decisions are made for the entire continent, not the individual nations. Given the range of economies and cultures then there will always be winners and losers. Many people in the UK are tired of feeling like the losers.

The people of the UK will never, ever accept a single EU state and are therefore entirely incompatible with the push towards one. This needs to be dropped, much of its legislation repealed, Parliament must be returned to the final decision maker on all matters relating to the UK.

Without this, even a remain vote is simply storing up trouble for the future.

What hard times please??? The UK average yearly income is among the highest in the world, your unemployment rate is 5.1% which is very close to what is called "full employment". Please state what in your opinion is the "hard times"?

It is not full employment. Wages are not rising for many people and haven't risen at the same rate as inflation for most of the last decade. Young people in particular find it very difficult to obtain entry level employment. Losing people from the employment market early in their lives is storing up trouble for the future. Our public services are continually stretched, social housing and the private sector are under strain in various ways.

Measuring our nation against others is pointless to account for the day to day experience of people, to measure their expectations based on what they have experienced in years gone by is more appropriate and it is undeniable that things aren't as bright as they were.

Why should it unite politicians? I would even agree to a European superstate. Call me a pro-European extremist.

I note you haven't commented on whether you think the EU unites the people of Europe. Would you support a EU State without the express consent of the people - because that is what is being formed now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back