Toronto Canada attacked

I never thought you were attacking me. A thread title that is not inaccurate. Canadians were just killed. Toronto was attacked. It isnt misleading and my OP didnt even use the word terrorism or religion or anything else. And you focused on a thread title there was nothing wrong with. So yeah I thought it was pathetic. But not to the point I want to fight over it, just think its a bit ridiculous is all. I think you think, Im more upset over it than I actually am.
That's fine. Two points of view. ;) You're entitled to yours. I'm entitled to mine. :) I just don't generally toss out the word pathetic for it :)

Look at the USA. Another shooting by some deranged guy who decided to walk into waffle house and shoot people up. I would have to do some research but it seems as though North America is becoming the breeding ground for terrorists and lunatics to take out their anger and I think alot of it has to do with the media coverage they get. Lonely sickos looking for some sort of fame they will never get anywhere else.
That is a real problem.
Whackjobs that want attention are fed it by the gulpfuls.
Not that events shouldnt be reported, but definitely could do without the feeding of the trolls thriving on it.
Media is a blessing...and a curse. :(

Look at the USA. Another shooting by some deranged guy who decided to walk into waffle house and shoot people up. I would have to do some research but it seems as though North America is becoming the breeding ground for terrorists and lunatics to take out their anger and I think alot of it has to do with the media coverage they get. Lonely sickos looking for some sort of fame they will never get anywhere else.
It's funny (funny coincidental, not funny haha) - I actually saw a post or 2 today about that...how much attention the crazies get, and how little shot officers, dead first responders etc receive...not 'sensational' enough :(

That is a real problem.
Whackjobs that want attention are fed it by the gulpfuls.
Not that events shouldnt be reported, but definitely could do without the feeding of the trolls thriving on it.
Media is a blessing...and a curse. :(

Media shouldn't publish the names and pictures. I'm convinced that it would solve 90%+ of non-religious mass killings. People have been blaming video games, guns, the internet...but these people all have one thing in common: they failed at life and want attention and "a name", that's why they are doing it. If they get no notoriety whatsoever, they no longer have a reason to do it.

Today is just another proof that it has nothing to do with guns, by the way.

Media shouldn't publish the names and pictures. I'm convinced that it would solve 90%+ of non-religious mass killings. People have been blaming video games, guns, the internet...but these people all have one thing in common: they failed at life and want attention and "a name", that's why they are doing it. If they get no notoriety whatsoever, they no longer have a reason to do it.

Today is just another proof that it has nothing to do with guns, by the way.
Agreed. The focus, and so rarely is, should be on the victims, not the perpretators.
I'd bet, 99% of the time, near everyone can name the criminal and nary a victim.

Agreed. The focus, and so rarely is, should be on the victims, not the perpretators.
I'd bet, 99% of the time, near everyone can name the criminal and nary a victim.

Remember the Vegas shooter? His name and face were plastered all over the media for days. We learned about him, his past, his dad, his relationships...

Same with that "joker" guy in Colorado that shot up a theatre. He became some kind of media sensation because of his orange hair.

Nonames can become "stars" by killing people and that's a huge issue.

Look at the prime example here in the thread. A member asked about the baby in the stroller, and a quick google didnt pull up anything, and very little on the victims. Give it a week, and everyone will know (here at least) the perpetrator is Alek(x) - something-or-other, or by full name.

It's funny (funny coincidental, not funny haha) - I actually saw a post or 2 today about that...how much attention the crazies get, and how little shot officers, dead first responders etc receive...not 'sensational' enough :(

The media always has an agenda. Do they report news because they care? No way, they do it for ratings and drama gets them the most. Plus it would be near impossible to stop reporting it because they are in competition with each other and while one news agency is reporting the attack, the other isnt. So who are people going to watch. Only way to get rid of it is the media agrees together or if a law is passed to stop it which will never happen because of freedom of press etc.

Look at when something happens in the middle east with Syria and the USA. These news sites start pumping out nothing but drama and scare tactics and sound bytes to antagonize countries into acting. "Trump weak response. Putin backing down. Assad Russia's pet. Iran fears Israel. Israel fearless". These are all provocations to slander the public image of acting countries and presidents, which I believe is to create tension that could possibly escalate. The media itself is to blame for many atrocities and wars by pumping out never ending propaganda.

I bet you if all the CEO's of news agency got together and made an agreement not to report these types of attacks, they would be cut down by at least 70%. The mentally ill drama queens no longer have a stage to stand on.

Until then, it will keep on happening and the most concerning thing is they no longer need a gun. They see a vehicle as just a powerful and is becoming more and more common and would be near impossible to stop.

Look at the prime example here in the thread. A member asked about the baby in the stroller, and a quick google didnt pull up anything, and very little on the victims. Give it a week, and everyone will know (here at least) the perpetrator is Alek(x) - something-or-other, or by full name.

Yeah its true. The victims get forgotten but the terrorist lives on forever.

And I had to use a few different terms to find something for the stroller thing to come up

Capture.PNG

Yeah its true. The victims get forgotten but the terrorist lives on forever.
I'm not sure how infamous they are across our borders, but even recetly I've still seen news stories regarding Paul Bernardo (and Karla Homolka) and honestly, I couldnt list off the names of so much as one of their victims.

I'm not sure how infamous they are across our borders, but even recetly I've still seen news stories regarding Paul Bernardo (and Karla Homolka) and honestly, I couldnt list off the names of so much as one of their victims.

yeah thats a good point too. Because ive heard their names mentioned recently of late. I do remember Kristen French (but couldnt recall her last name just her first) because of her sad but beautiful grad picture they used of her showing her sweet and innocence. Had to google the other and now that I saw the name I do remember it. Sad I had to google Leslie Mahaffy.

Oh and did you see they gave them a name too? ken and barbie. How wonderful to give them such fame.

Oh you dont say? Driving through a crowd for a km or whatever it was and then trying to get shot by police "it looks intentional" What was your first clue? :eek2:

Capture.PNG

The media always has an agenda. Do they report news because they care? No way, they do it for ratings and drama gets them the most. Plus it would be near impossible to stop reporting it because they are in competition with each other and while one news agency is reporting the attack, the other isnt. So who are people going to watch. Only way to get rid of it is the media agrees together or if a law is passed to stop it which will never happen because of freedom of press etc...

I bet you if all the CEO's of news agency got together and made an agreement not to report these types of attacks, they would be cut down by at least 70%. The mentally ill drama queens no longer have a stage to stand on.

Until then, it will keep on happening and the most concerning thing is they no longer need a gun. They see a vehicle as just a powerful and is becoming more and more common and would be near impossible to stop.

Vehicular murder is the perfect weapon for lone wolf killers, who have no real ideology, and even less understanding that ISIS and other terrorist organisations probably don't give a damn about them. If their names were omitted from news reports, they would be forgotten by the end of the day.

And then you get the sickos and the weirdos - the copycats - who are so blinded by their hatred of their own miserable existence, they are incapable of understanding the root problem lies with them, not Society.

But in both cases, the media has created a strange and inexplicable reverential notoriety for these killers, for the "ratings and the drama" as you so aptly put it. And until something is done to address this despicable trend, there will always be another, and then another, ad nauseum.

" Only way to get rid of it is the media agrees together or if a law is passed to stop it which will never happen because of freedom of press etc."

I agree with this, but with reservations. If a law is passed, it will be a form of censorship, which will be taking away another of our liberties. And where do you stop? The First amendment? Freedom of speech? Freedom of Worship?

Unfortunately, due to the proliferation of mobile (cell) phones with video capabilities, the news would still be put out there, but on different, unregulated media, and it would be that much harder to ascertain the truth of what actually happened. There are still people who believe Sandy Hook was a False Flag, so it is highly probably Conspiracy theories would be the order of the day. A much too higher price to pay for press censorship.

One way to address the issue would be to strictly limit any coverage of the perpetrator, including his name. The emphasis should be on the victims - allowing them their honour and dignity that has been stripped from them. And the perpetrator can rot in the unknown hell from whence he came.

Globe and Mail:
The suspect in the Toronto van attack was a man who travelled through the world with two identities: One as a socially awkward student who rarely spoke, barely functioned and had difficulty controlling tics, and another as an expert-level whiz who could lead classmates through the intricacies of computer chips.

Police Chief Mark Saunders identified the suspect in a vehicle attack that killed at least 10 people and injured 15 as Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill, Ont. He was not previously known to police.

An Alek Minassian was known to his former classmates in high school and over seven or eight years at Seneca College as a man with no known religious or political affiliations or strong views on anything, nor a penchant for violence.

Their accounts up to a few years ago describe a man some former classmates believed could never learn how to drive, let alone carry out an attack.

At least three former classmates said he appeared to suffer from a social disability. A couple also said he seemed friendly and never had serious conflicts.

One classmate, who worked on a project with him at Seneca in 2015, described Mr. Minassian as someone with a significant social or mental disability who had a hard time speaking to people, difficulty under pressure, and constant physical tics where he shook his hands and tapped his head.

The man, who did not want to be identified, expressed disbelief that Mr. Minassian would even be capable of renting and piloting an automobile. He said, when he knew him, Mr. Minassian didn’t drive, and didn’t know how a steering wheel worked.

The man said in a text conversation that he did not believe the attack would be politically motivated, saying he suspects his former classmate got into an accident, overreacted and panicked, asking police to shoot him in a video captured on the street by a bystander. The man said he heard that Mr. Minassian could code well.

One Seneca student in computer studies said Mr. Minassian had graduated from the program just last week. The student shared with The Globe and Mail a message Mr. Minassian sent to the group “out of the blue” on April 19 telling off his classmates. He added that he believed Mr. Minassian was at Seneca for seven years because he held down several software development jobs.

Saying he did not want to be publicly identified as an associate of a suspected killer because he is currently being interviewed for summer internships, this Seneca student added that he didn’t think Mr. Minassian had lined up any work after college.

The student said the Mr. Minassian he knew of never showed any signs of extremism or of subscribing to any particular religious or ideological persuasion – he was just a somewhat socially awkward young man who was good with computers.

A government source suggested that the suspect is not likely linked to terrorism since the RCMP integrated national security enforcement team has not been called in to investigate.

The RCMP was called in after Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent was run over in Quebec by Martin Couture-Rouleau in October, 2014, because in that case the unit knew he was radicalized. They also investigated the Parliament Hill attack that took place a few days later.

The student looking for internships said the Mr. Minassian who attended his school was a whiz with working with specialized computer chips known as graphical processing units. These chips have traditionally been used to help process images, but can also have other applications where they give computers a lot more processing power.

The student said he wouldn’t describe Mr. Minassian as a loner, exactly, because he would converse when necessary. But, he added, he didn’t interact well.

This student said he spent much of Monday trying to tell whether his friend was the same person who surfaced in videos of the post-attack arrest. He said the portion of an eyewitness video where the suspect pointed at a police officer with an object was the man he knew. The movements fit with the man he knew, he said, although the bald head was something new.

A Toronto resident who was driving near a van when it mounted a sidewalk and hit pedestrians says he repeatedly honked his horn to alert bystanders to the horrific incident. The Canadian Press
On Monday night police cordoned off a Richmond Hill home property records show belong to Vahe and Sona Minassian. Officers first arrived around 3:30 p.m., neighbours said. A Haig Minassian, three years older than Alek Minassian, has also listed the address as home in bankruptcy records.

In 2009, Sona Minassian was quoted in a story in the Richmond Hill Liberal lamenting that her son, who suffered from a form of autism called Asperger syndrome, was at risk of losing access to a special program called Helpmate that assisted the teen to “work though his cognitive barriers and prepare him for the workplace.”

“My son would spend afternoons working with Helpmate. They were sensitive to his needs and now he has a job at Compugen here in town,” she said, referring to an IT company in Richmond Hill.

“He was able to take the experience provided by Helpmate and apply it. This kind of service for my son wasn’t available elsewhere. I am convinced that if we didn’t have Helpmate, my son would not have had such an opportunity.”

The article did not mention the name of the son.

yup, too early to rule anything out really
scorned lover - nutjob - terror attack - mental illness - utter panic

the 'shoot me' could have been a complete and utter mental breakdown

only thing really right now, working against him, is the reports that he apparently gunned those people down, and the distance he travelled, but I'm happy to follow and see what comes forward in due course.

about the only certain thing - it's a tragedy

Pathetic is whining over a thread title given the content of this
Pathetic is getting bent out of shape for providing an opinion....

:mad: WTF guys! Are we high school kids now? As ever, if you don't like what you read and feel the need to chide the poster then Report the thing. This Bickersville bs does neither of you any credit. Chill out or find something else to read. Please and thank you.

It’s autism awareness month...

Hopefully this doesn’t put others who are on the spectrum at risk of being viewed as mentally incapable of knowing right from wrong.

I can only imagine what his parents are going through.

It was pure mayhem, I am here working with my team on a new tower just a couple blocks away, 27 floor up on an open slab, nothing but police, ERT's, ambulances and first responders, watching from atop but could't see what was going on, knew it had to serious.....and it was

The problem with this is that he was driving a rental van which indicates he rented the vehicle to do this. Also, very often friends and family are left in shock and disbelief. Same sort of reaction the brother of the vegas shooter had and the boston bombing family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back