This MAY create a fervour....but

I belong to several - formal and informal - debate groups (this was a topic of conversation, and I thought it could be fun to share bearing in mind it's MEANT to be fun).
I was curious. This is an international forum, and let's keep it civil and not personal, and accept that generalities do not mean absolutes.

What are some stereotypical qualities attributed to your peers/culture/nationaility.
Many stereotypes are steeped in truths, some are gross over generalizations. Some are flat out misconceptions.

I'l lbegin with a gross over generalization rooted in truths, locally and internationally preceived -
Canadians are overly apologetic with an innate need to add sorries, excuse mes, thank yous, and a multitude of prefaces and postfaces. We're people who apologize when you step on our toes.

Kindly, speak on your national/work/peer stereotypes rather than others' - its easier to banter on one's own and dispute it. Let's not delve into cultutal attacks.
That being said, nothing wrong with harmless blanket assumptions and perceptions ex it always rains in England :p

(see, hasnt started and im already being pc and apologetic :p )

How do people around the world perceive us Scots to be.

Something along the lines of Skirt wearing , Whiskey drinking race who run around all day screeching from Bagpipes whilst trying to catch Haggis:D
well, maybe the love children of truckers and sailors with the ability to outdrink Canadians yes lol

It reminds me of the thread I started once asking if people have their shoes on in their houses, or if they take them off before going in.
We're all humans but we do behave different depending on culture...and weather I would say :D

Us Swedes are often very polite and nice, but a bit cold and difficult to get to know. ''This is my place and you're not invited''.
We're a bit scared also, and always afraid of doing mistakes.
Most important. Don't touch me. No hugs and kisses until you know me well. Yes it's tough travelling:laugh:

Something along the lines of Skirt wearing , Whisky drinking race who run around all day screeching from Bagpipes whilst trying to catch Haggis:D

And disappear to the toilet when its their round lol...:thumbsup:

Something along the lines of Skirt wearing , Whisky drinking race who run around all day screeching from Bagpipes whilst trying to catch Haggis:D
I wonder how a 40 year old who had never visited Scotland before could have got the impression that the above was true? ;)
Not like they stand in the city centres blowing on the bagpipes is it ;)

I wonder how a 40 year old who had never visited Scotland before could have got the impression that the above was true? ;)
Not like they stand in the city centres blowing on the bagpipes is it ;)

for me, ive only been once
had a grand time
and was more hammered than any other holiday chilling with locals :p (equally Ireland and Eng but nowhere else on my many travels)

It reminds me of the thread I started once asking if people have their shoes on in their houses, or if they take them off before going in.
We're all humans but we do behave different depending on culture...and weather I would say :D

Us Swedes are often very polite and nice, but a bit cold and difficult to get to know. ''This is my place and you're not invited''.
We're a bit scared also, and always afraid of doing mistakes.
Most important. Don't touch me. No hugs and kisses until you know me well. Yes it's tough travelling:laugh:
And they love childish online slots. :D

KK is an Englishman proudly so he'd have a fit lol! I'm sure even to the extent of wearing England football shirt man :p
Id never have known, and christ i wish someone had explained to me - once, way back when, when i travellled, i walked into the wrong bar, with the wrong colours, and the waitress, politely walked me out, before I went through an exit not naturally intended to be an exit

Id never have known, and christ i wish someone had explained to me - once, way back when, when i travellled, i walked into the wrong bar, with the wrong colours, and the waitress, politely walked me out, before I went through an exit not naturally intended to be an exit

So is that celtic or Rangers strip in the wrong bar? by any chance hahaha! Lucky you didn't get a kicking. Tbh if you just say im a tourist I don't know anything about it. etc You'd probably be ok, they tend to go for people who do it knowingly really.

So is that celtic or Rangers strip in the wrong bar? by any chance hahaha! Lucky you didn't get a kicking. Tbh if you just say im a tourist I don't know anything about it. etc You'd probably be ok, they tend to go for people who do it knowingly really.
i think, i probably swaggered in, and tried to be sociable (and well, well, into my cups) and got nothing but dirty looks, on a footy night. And likely, just into that one wrong place.
To be fair, I went to a great many other bars and had 0 issues, and being able to play darts and pool decently, met a good fair amount of stellar people.

Basically as a rule. If the outside is green in anyway and has like shamrocks Harps etc wear green or celtic
(unless in edinburgh then you;d wear hibs)

if it has a red hand of ulster or northern ireland stuff with union flag etc wear blue or rangers.

And if it's maroon on the outside with hearts or HOM anywhere visible. Wear Maroon or hearts top.

Edinburgh and glasgow safety right there!

Or if going in themed looking establishments you may suspect to be club orientated avoid any colours or club tops. And if they say are you that team either say not into football or agree! lol!

Basically as a rule. If the outside is green in anyway and has like shamrocks Harps etc wear green or celtic
(unless in edinburgh then you;d wear hibs)

if it has a red hand of ulster or northern ireland stuff with union flag etc wear blue or rangers.

And if it's maroon on the outside with hearts or HOM anywhere visible. Wear Maroon or hearts top.

Edinburgh and glasgow safety right there!

Or if going in themed looking establishments you may suspect to be club orientated avoid any colours or club tops. And if they say are you that team either say not into football or agree! lol!
I DO recall, the issue was I wore red (or green, it was many moon ago) when the appropriate colour was the one i was NOT wearing

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back