This all Twitter thing is getting to big to ignore it

Don't get me started on this Twitter. This is just another internet hype like Ebay, Facebook, Google, Friends Reunited and the rest. The people that create them make fortunes. A few people will make a healthy living and the rest of us will end up working for them for free.

Are the owners of this site planning an IPO anytime soon? What annoys me is that they have reached the tipping point where suddenly it is almost embarassing if you are not on it. In the last few weeks I have seen numerous companies scrambling to get on Twitter because they feel they can't afford not to. This herd mentality only gives them more oxygen and propels it further.

Clearly it must be a very good product to have achieved this huge status. All I know is that Ebay was brilliant when it started but within a few years they became a faceless organisation with a rapacious profit motive. Google has become dangerous too. Now this one has come along and we all have to open a Twitter account or we will instantly become socially excluded.

I don't think the joy that is the internet is to be found in these mega popular sites.

I agree a lot with this post. I loved Ebay and then they purchased PayPal and started getting ridiculously greedy with their fees to the point that I didn't like using the site to sell stuff any longer.

I got onto Myspace and then people were all buzzing about Facebook, which I didn't jump into right away because I figured "hey, I've got Myspace, why do I need Facebook?"

When I finally got onto Facebook it was really awesome to be able to find old high school friends easily. Reconnecting with people was great. But then the magic wore off.

I don't want to be invited to anyones stupid lame-ass group that is going to be forgotten about by people within a week or two after they've discovered it. I don't want to throw snowballs at you or join your pirate ship crew, and I could give two craps that you just ate bacon and eggs for breakfast in your status update.

With Twitter, I assume it's just a glorified version of the status update from Facebook, so I have very little interest in something like that.

Now the irony is obviously that I'm involved in building a social network aimed at the gambling market.

Yes, I know there are tons of people who've created gambling social networks with little success, and I find so many of these other "social" sites to be annoying and bothersome. But that's helped me to analyze what these sites have done right and wrong as far as visitor conversion into members and then engagement of members into active producers of content. So I'm still confident that a social network aimed at the gambling/poker demographic can succeed if it's done right. :)

oh, my bad...that was me reloading your page 134 times...
:lolup: ha ha

I agree a lot with this post. I loved Ebay and then they purchased PayPal and started getting ridiculously greedy with their fees to the point that I didn't like using the site to sell stuff any longer.

I got onto Myspace and then people were all buzzing about Facebook, which I didn't jump into right away because I figured "hey, I've got Myspace, why do I need Facebook?"

When I finally got onto Facebook it was really awesome to be able to find old high school friends easily. Reconnecting with people was great. But then the magic wore off.

I don't want to be invited to anyones stupid lame-ass group that is going to be forgotten about by people within a week or two after they've discovered it. I don't want to throw snowballs at you or join your pirate ship crew, and I could give two craps that you just ate bacon and eggs for breakfast in your status update.

With Twitter, I assume it's just a glorified version of the status update from Facebook, so I have very little interest in something like that.

Now the irony is obviously that I'm involved in building a social network aimed at the gambling market....
I hear ya. It's kind of funny in a way. The other day, I caught my youngest daughter (11) texting one of her friends on her handy (mobile, cell phone, communicator, whatever). I said "What the hell are you doing?" She said, "I'm texting my friend." I said, "Why don't you just pick up the phone and talk?" She said, "That would be lame - this is fun..."

So here we go, "following" each other down the "fun" path. :p

It's a trend...interesting, but not too exciting. Social networking is a big part of this site. There are a few bells and whistles people can use here (blogs, social groups, photo albums, etc.), but the bottom line is to share valid and pertinent information. If you want to know what I ate for breakfast, just ask. I won't throw a snowball at you, but if we meet each other face-to-face - I might buy you a beer.

I hear ya. It's kind of funny in a way. The other day, I caught my youngest daughter (11) texting one of her friends on her handy (mobile, cell phone, communicator, whatever). I said "What the hell are you doing?" She said, "I'm texting my friend." I said, "Why don't you just pick up the phone and talk?" She said, "That would be lame - this is fun..."

So here we go, "following" each other down the "fun" path. :p

I never saw the appeal of using a ridiculously tiny screen and keyboard to text others or browse the internet, etc. I don't mind having a cell phone for calls, but that's about it.

I mean, I can barely stand using a laptop because the screen and keyboard are so tiny compared to my desktop.

Not to mention with cellphones I see people that just get addicted to using them. They're constantly texting useless crap all friggin' day or they're cutting me off and not paying attention while on the highway because they can't remove the frigging phone from their ear, grrrrr! :mad:

I never saw the appeal of using a ridiculously tiny screen and keyboard to text others or browse the internet, etc. I don't mind having a cell phone for calls, but that's about it.

I mean, I can barely stand using a laptop because the screen and keyboard are so tiny compared to my desktop.

Not to mention with cellphones I see people that just get addicted to using them. They're constantly texting useless crap all friggin' day or they're cutting me off and not paying attention while on the highway because they can't remove the frigging phone from their ear, grrrrr! :mad:

Here's one for the books: (from 2007)

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

A 13-year-old Pennsylvania girl won $25,000 after typing "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from "Mary Poppins" on her cell phone in less time than 200 other competitors in a text-messaging competition. Morgan Pozgar typed the Disney classic's "biggest word I ever heard" in only 15 seconds, beating out the former national text-messaging champ, 21-year-old Eli Tirosh of Los Angeles.

Morgan, who estimated she sends more than 8,000 text messages every month, described her phone as "pretty worn in," according to UPI.

The teen has big plans for her winnings.

"I'm going to go shopping and buy lots of clothes," she said, according to the Associated Press.

Tweet away those who it appeals to. As a marketing tool, the youth market is rapidly expanding, they they all jump on the latest bandwagon and seem to have no discretion as to who they share what info with.

I don't read celebrity news, and am not searching Twitter for more places to play my money, but I do think that part of the gambling market... i.e. anyone of age, is using this "latest and hottest" is using this service, so a discussion of this is probably warranted.

i.e. anyone of age, is using this "latest and hottest" is using this service, so a discussion of this is probably warranted.

That raises a great point - liability....is there any checks and balances in place to setup your 'tweets' so that they can only be viewed by those that are at least 18, if not 21?

I know youtube has something like this in place...if a video gets reported as being adult in nature, then you have to actually create an account and "verify" your age before you can even view it. Sure, this is just a technicality, but it does cover their ass in case something happens. They can simply point out that the under-aged kid signed up for a user account and lied about their age on purpose so they could view that particular video.

Well, just found out my kid is on it to promote her web-based store, so I will be joining after all, but I don't expect to venture far.

Somehow I seem to spend far too much of my day at my computer in non-productive pursuits as it is.

Present company excluded, of course;)

She's joining Meister at my request, and I hope she can contribute to this thread.

Plus, she wants access to Mom's blog and some of my recipes that she doesn't have yet.

That raises a great point - liability....is there any checks and balances in place to setup your 'tweets' so that they can only be viewed by those that are at least 18, if not 21?

I know youtube has something like this in place...if a video gets reported as being adult in nature, then you have to actually create an account and "verify" your age before you can even view it. Sure, this is just a technicality, but it does cover their ass in case something happens. They can simply point out that the under-aged kid signed up for a user account and lied about their age on purpose so they could view that particular video.

Very good point - underage and problem gambling are massive issues almost continuously used by anti-gambling groups in their strategies against the industry.

If there is no precautionary system, better devise and include an age limit disclaimer of you are going to promote via Twitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back