The differences between gambling and gaming

Dan Arafat

Dormant account
Hi there
I'm trying to look for the criteria that defines a game or type of activity that involves some form of payment towards playing.

Basically
I need to know what classifies a game or event as gaming as opposed to gambling ?

I'd have to say gambling is a sub=set of gaming, because gaming involves a lot of other games that take up your time.

Gaming is also a term the industry uses to avoid saying we are gambling. For instance, it's gaming platform, not gambling platform, or gaming floor (B&M) not gambling floor.

I am pretty sure there are some gamblers just here at CM that spend less money per month than some some gaming peers on video game platforms.

Gaming can involve paying for entertainment with no possible financial return.
Gambling can involve a return (sometimes)

Gaming can involve paying for entertainment with no possible financial return.
Gambling can involve a return (sometimes)

This. Anytime you wager you are gambling. What tickles me is when work colleagues say they don't agree with gambling but buy lotto tickets and go bingo halls. When I say they are gambling they state it's different as a social evening. They won't accept they are gambling lol

This. Anytime you wager you are gambling. What tickles me is when work colleagues say they don't agree with gambling but buy lotto tickets and go bingo halls. When I say they are gambling they state it's different as a social evening. They won't accept they are gambling lol
you could also look at the kids arcade games as gambling as they can win prizes from machines or tickets to redeem
$40 timezone card here can win you up to a plastic slinky and a mars bar.not to mention the 8 minutes of fun lol

The difference between gaming and gambling

Can anyone help me with this example to tell me or advise me on if it is gaming or gambling and if so how can it be adapted to one or the other.

I want to set up a new bizness for players of roulette.

It allows eight players to compete between themselves.

Each pay a $20 entry fee and for that they are given 10,000 game chips.

Each player has a maximum of 12 spins to accumulate as many chips as possible.

After 12 spins each players score is recorded and the winner is determined by the player with the most number of chips.

But to add to the mix there are ten tables that allows eight players to enter the same competition

Each player from each table needs to be in the top 5 highest scorers from their respective table to proceed to the finals table

Once the top 5 from each table are known they all take their seats at the finals table where they will have a further 6 spins to outperform each other from the pool of finalists

For the cost to enter it permits them to take one seat on the competition table and are given a free seat at the poker room table.

Is this description as close to the definition of gaming as it gets ? Or is it still considered gambling because of a fee to enter ?

If so $20 to enter would guarantee players a specific time frame in order to exercise their skills in managing bank rolls, determining the proportion of stakes made per spins and determine the times where a stake increase or decrease is necessary in order to stay competitive between neon outing players from the same table ?

Can this be called a gaming product because it limits a players losses at the table but delivers them the same chances of winning the big prizes of a winner ?

Can anyone help me with this example to tell me or advise me on if it is gaming or gambling and if so how can it be adapted to one or the other.

I want to set up a new bizness for players of roulette.

It allows eight players to compete between themselves.

Each pay a $20 entry fee and for that they are given 10,000 game chips.

Each player has a maximum of 12 spins to accumulate as many chips as possible.

After 12 spins each players score is recorded and the winner is determined by the player with the most number of chips.

But to add to the mix there are ten tables that allows eight players to enter the same competition

Each player from each table needs to be in the top 5 highest scorers from their respective table to proceed to the finals table

Once the top 5 from each table are known they all take their seats at the finals table where they will have a further 6 spins to outperform each other from the pool of finalists

For the cost to enter it permits them to take one seat on the competition table and are given a free seat at the poker room table.

Is this description as close to the definition of gaming as it gets ? Or is it still considered gambling because of a fee to enter ?

If so $20 to enter would guarantee players a specific time frame in order to exercise their skills in managing bank rolls, determining the proportion of stakes made per spins and determine the times where a stake increase or decrease is necessary in order to stay competitive between neon outing players from the same table ?

Can this be called a gaming product because it limits a players losses at the table but delivers them the same chances of winning the big prizes of a winner ?
I would say that what your describing is gambling. Players pay a fee and the lucky one walks away with the pot. Not sure if you will have that many takers thoughIMHO

Update

I forgot to mention the top 5 performers are given prizes so from a total of 88 players there is a knockout round which eliminates a proportion of those players which is followed by a final round that provides prizes to the top 5 and a further 5 mystery prizes are given too.

The players know they have a better chance in the scope of using their performance to create a positional advantage over other players to me that's a skill with applied use of judgement to determine when to resort to a change in their overall style of play.

This is a roulette tournament then?

I've seen blackjack tournaments be popular in the past, the advantage is that is doesn't last for hours like a poker tourny would.

For $20 I think it could be classed as gaming as you are paying a fixed price for a set amount of entertainment (more or less). Like going to a movie really but with a chance of a prize rather than 2 hours of film.

I thought it was a competition but maybe calling it a roulette tournament is more appropriate.

The background behind this is that I see many people playing at the tables, losing control of their bankrolls, being unable to leave the table when they are losing consistently.

That being said though the time it takes for someone to lose a $2000+ at a roulette table can be in minutes or during a course of 12 spins.

A case study was performed to see how many players could go through this number of spins and the duration spent at the table was measured against their final balances.

As incredible as it sounds most went bust a proportion roughly had the similar number they had to start with and a very few ended up with a surplus.

The test was to see how we could limit a players risk in terms of financial losses arising through an intimidating environment and losing the ability to control their rate of lose.

Therefore a new product I'm developing is going to perform that function for most online players of roulette but given this option in a short time frame tournament prize game.

This is a roulette tournament then?

I've seen blackjack tournaments be popular in the past, the advantage is that is doesn't last for hours like a poker tourny would.

For $20 I think it could be classed as gaming as you are paying a fixed price for a set amount of entertainment (more or less). Like going to a movie really but with a chance of a prize rather than 2 hours of film.

I forgot to mention the top 5 performers are given prizes so from a total of 88 players there is a knockout round which eliminates a proportion of those players which is followed by a final round that provides prizes to the top 5 and a further 5 mystery prizes are given too.

The players know they have a better chance in the scope of using their performance to create a positional advantage over other players to me that's a skill with applied use of judgement to determine when to resort to a change in their overall style of play.

A roulette tournament is a variation to the game and is what I look to be putting more focus on.

I'm looking to see where the right places are to advertise and seek out sponsorship opportunities any ideas ?

A roulette tournament is a variation to the game and is what I look to be putting more focus on.

I'm looking to see where the right places are to advertise and seek out sponsorship opportunities any ideas ?

What is important for you is the definition of gambling in various countries legislation.

What gambling really is, is anything that makes people think they can easily win big.

The Roulette idea is 100% gambling. If you look closely at the regulations surrounding gambling, the only way to determine a difference is where there is an element of skill involved. Poker for example is not strictly gambling as a better player can influence the outcome, although many do see it as gambling as the result is entirely due to the luck of the draw.

If the outcome is determined by skill and there is zero luck involved, you can get away with calling it a competition. As soon as you add in that element of luck and unpredictable results, you're into gambling territory.

Reflecting value in positional awareness.

The Roulette idea is 100% gambling. If you look closely at the regulations surrounding gambling, the only way to determine a difference is where there is an element of skill involved. Poker for example is not strictly gambling as a better player can influence the outcome, although many do see it as gambling as the result is entirely due to the luck of the draw.

If the outcome is determined by skill and there is zero luck involved, you can get away with calling it a competition. As soon as you add in that element of luck and unpredictable results, you're into gambling territory.

See for me there are so many different factors to include.
But I love to investigate different ways that question how the games of roulette work.

I believe a skill can be relative to a pattern of learnt familiarity and frequentcy combined with an element of luck.

Meaning you develop your own number bias through your own experiences from learning how to apply numbers to what it is that you do, in all aspects of life numbers are present and represent importance.

For example.
This is just a test to see what I mean.

take for example,
this post has four corners listed like you see below.

A top left,
A top right,
A bottom left
A bottom right

Now for me to state there's four corners is like stating the obvious there's four sides to every box but what if I created a rule and that was to take 12 words from this post but according to the arrangement I define as relative.

The first three words in the top left then the last three words in the top right.
The first three words in the bottom left then the last three words in the bottom right.

If performing the above you will see that these positions have stronger use of keywords that in actual fact represent the core subject matter of positional arrangement combined with an associated number that represents significance or importance over the rest of the words used in the post.

I ask you if the result of below outweighs the rest that results in what I believe in as true.

The roulette idea
Regulations surrounding gambling
If the outcome
To gambling territory

I thank you for this post because it's given me a new insight, I mean I love numbers and roulette tables because for me they make up so much of what is part of our lives

And can be used in various ways which triggers my interests

What do 12, 24 and 36 have in common on the roulette tables?
They represent the top right to every section on a roulette table
They represent the importance of numbers with a mathmatical similarity like chess moves and formula

The first digit is divisible by two which is common to all these numbers if your attention is reactive to numbers in association to a preference or prefers to indicate their value by additional actions then this to me is like being a stockbroker if you see the indication of a movement then it becomes more believable that there is a skill involved in selecting random numbers to make a start to a learning phase.

Sorry I went on Abit here. But thank you for your

See for me there are so many different factors to include.
But I love to investigate different ways that question how the games of roulette work.

I believe a skill can be relative to a pattern of learnt familiarity and frequentcy combined with an element of luck.

Meaning you develop your own number bias through your own experiences from learning how to apply numbers to what it is that you do, in all aspects of life numbers are present and represent importance.

For example.
This is just a test to see what I mean.

take for example,
this post has four corners listed like you see below.

A top left,
A top right,
A bottom left
A bottom right

Now for me to state there's four corners is like stating the obvious there's four sides to every box but what if I created a rule and that was to take 12 words from this post but according to the arrangement I define as relative.

The first three words in the top left then the last three words in the top right.
The first three words in the bottom left then the last three words in the bottom right.

If performing the above you will see that these positions have stronger use of keywords that in actual fact represent the core subject matter of positional arrangement combined with an associated number that represents significance or importance over the rest of the words used in the post.

I ask you if the result of the last three words in each corner of the post are taken, can that represent an association to the overall subject, these days information is so scattered especially when looking at surrounding definitions for gambling varied across different parts of the world, maybe it's possible to satisfy one area but not the others.

What do 12, 24 and 36 have in common on the roulette tables?
They represent the top right to every section on a roulette table
They represent the importance of numbers with a mathmatical similarity like chess moves and formula

The first digit is divisible by two which is common to all these numbers if your attention is reactive to numbers in association to a preference or prefers to indicate their value by additional actions then this to me is like being a stockbroker if you see the indication of a movement then it becomes more believable that there is a skill involved in selecting random numbers to make a start to a learning phase.

The skill in gambling is having a great mathmatical mindset that provides you with different options when looking at a consideration of table numbers, the combined observation to winning numbers across multiple tables at different stages of the day will deliver a different set of frequent numbers.

But the facts are that some numbers will be more frequent than others.

It's like if I ask you to write five nine digit numbers down in front of you, then your going to be able to tell me the frequency of each digit in each nine digit number. Now unless you decide to stick with a constant set of numbers your more than likely going to have a minimum frequency of one and a maximum of three, if you have a frequency disregard it.

You will see that the continuous fact is that it produces an association to the roulette table.
It's like three section to a table.
It's like a 50/50 wether it's black red odd or even

Information comes in twos threes and fours that's how roulette has been made up for so many years

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back