The Day Has arrived for The UK

Well the lazy shit that I am I skimmed most off the above.

The UK will always have allies in Europe.

America's reason for having an opinion on the European referendum was the loss off troops in WW 1 and WW 2.

How many British have died defending Europe? A hell off a lot more.

We can and did have a referendum as a democratic country.

We are a big player in NATO.

And there are the big scary Russians to contend with, how many countries in Europe have a decent fighting force? Germany/nope/under occupation still, which has helped there economy a lot.

France/Military complex based on less imports think less foreign tech and just what they make there selves that is still pretty good. Mainly due to being able to defend there selves on there own, expected outcome after WW 2 and not very global community oriented as well I might add, then look at the Littoral combat ships that are being sold to Russia. (Not checked this story for over a year now might have changed.)

Eastern Europe will still be are friends and USA just for above reason alone.

They can't punish us as we would have even more cuts to are military and that would piss the USA off and we wouldn't be able to keep up are NATO spending making it even more expensive for USA.

Keeping Western Europe including Germany safe has cost the UK a lot off money since WW 2. And Germany has spent very little since then in comparison.

Imagine if the UK said sod you back would the French pick up the slack?.....NOPE

My point is we are still part off Europe as we are European and are still needed for the foreseeable future.

I think the Swiss have a decent fighting force and quite a lot of people there owns guns so I would not piss the Swiss off:D

I guess I see your point. I am just a bit mad about the whole thing and what that means for people like me. My grandmother was born and raised in Northern Ireland pre Irish Independence. My grandfather was born in the south and served in the British army through two world wars. He chose to have and raise his family in the south of Ireland. When I was a child I remember the difficulty my parents had bringing my Grandmother to Northern Ireland to visit her relatives.

So Brexit means that the UK is out of the EU but does that mean people from the Republic of Ireland will need some kind of visa to visit the North of Ireland and visa versa? This is what pisses me off the most of all about the Brexit vote. Ireland as a whole has had peace for many years and it is my greatest wish that it endures. I know that people born in the North of Ireland have a right to Irish citizenship if they chose and rightly so. On the other hand I am very pissed off that I might have to get a visa in the future to go to the North of Ireland which is technically my country. I hope that this does not happen. I don't want to see my country divided any more than it has been. I think whatever negotiations occur that ties between North and South of Ireland remain strong and people on both sides of the border can move freely and trade as they have been doing. I am not a political person but I feel passionate about this. Other than that I totally respect the whole Brexit vote even if I dislike the players in that game including Farage. In the end I hope the Uk comes out of it strong because it is to the benefit of everybody if it does. End of....

PS. Half of my Dads siblings settled in the Uk in the 1950's and 1960's so I have a lot of relatives living in the Uk. Maybe I am not qualified to have an opinion on this whole thing but I can't help but have feelings regarding the matter. If at the end of the exit that free movement and trade is retained between Ireland and the Uk I will be happy but I doubt the EU officials will allow that. I am not upset at those who chose to vote out for whatever reasons. I am just upset of what that means to my country which is tied to the UK for good or for bad.

PPS. I wonder if Farage et al. ever considered what a Brexit vote would mean to Northern Ireland or did they even care. Now the majority of the Brexit supporters have left the political stage to leave the rest to clean up the mess.

I can not speak for all brexit voters but I voted leave because I strongly don't believe in unelected dictatorships,which is what it is. I also strongly believe that even if we voted to stay other EU Countries people are wishing to leave and their governments and elites are desperately trying to avoid their own referendum. In short I think that the EU ideal is now busted and would be regardless of how the UK voted.
So, all of the concerns that you have stated about are ones you would have to face not too long down the line anyhow.

My guess is that it is in no ones interests to foster any kind of segregation between North and Southern Ireland.

I recall that when I was over in Ulster a lot of money and savings where to be gained living near the boarders for various reasons. Is that still the case now?

I think the Swiss have a decent fighting force and quite a lot of people there owns guns so I would not piss the Swiss off:D

Yeah and I think it's always been like that going back to WW 2 time.

We had a school holiday in Switzerland and you could hear the gun ranges.

They even got to vote on buying Gripen fighter jets which they opposed.

So the Swiss would never fully join the EU they have a lovely Democratic set up as it is.

Cough cough banking cough cough.

It was laughable hearing about the banks in the UK threatening to leave if we voted out off EU, If I voted to stay and liked the idea off the bank threat to sway the vote how would it do my country and I any good if they then left and if I voted to leave I would off hated the threat so a high percentage off both the leave and stay voters would not bank with them anymore costing them money.

I can not speak for all brexit voters but I voted leave because I strongly don't believe in unelected dictatorships,which is what it is. I also strongly believe that even if we voted to stay other EU Countries people are wishing to leave and their governments and elites are desperately trying to avoid their own referendum. In short I think that the EU ideal is now busted and would be regardless of how the UK voted.
So, all of the concerns that you have stated about are ones you would have to face not too long down the line anyhow.

My guess is that it is in no ones interests to foster any kind of segregation between North and Southern Ireland.

I recall that when I was over in Ulster a lot of money and savings where to be gained living near the boarders for various reasons. Is that still the case now?

I don't live near the border so I am not sure about that one. If they bring in customs then I doubt there will be any savings and businesses on both side of the border areas will be negatively effected. I am confident that there is no interest in segregation between the South and North however I don't know if the EU bigwigs understand Ireland's unique situation even if they did have a big part to play in the Good Friday Agreement.

Time will tell I suppose.

Yeah and I think it's always been like that going back to WW 2 time.

We had a school holiday in Switzerland and you could hear the gun ranges.

They even got to vote on buying Gripen fighter jets which they opposed.

So the Swiss would never fully join the EU they have a lovely Democratic set up as it is.

Cough cough banking cough cough.

It was laughable hearing about the banks in the UK threatening to leave if we voted out off EU, If I voted to stay and liked the idea off the bank threat to sway the vote how would it do my country and I any good if they then left and if I voted to leave I would off hated the threat so a high percentage off both the leave and stay voters would not bank with them anymore costing them money.

The big investment and international banks based in London are there because of the free market in doing business in the EU. If the English go for a Switzerland deal then the banks will probably stay if not then I think they will be leaving for other EU destinations. Although Switzerland is not in the EU they are in the EEA area so they do have to accept the 4 principles of the EU and pay contributions although they have no say which makes no sense to me.

I did hear a story though quite recently about a rich Swiss town that opted to pay a fine in order NOT to accept refugees.

Lastly Ireland is a neutral country also and we also and I don't think being part of the EU has damaged us in that area. I have to hand it to the Swiss though I am very impressed that ordinary citizens take the protection of their country very seriously so if Switzerland was ever invaded the invaders would be kicked out toute suite:D

The big investment and international banks based in London are there because of the free market in doing business in the EU. If the English go for a Switzerland deal then the banks will probably stay if not then I think they will be leaving for other EU destinations. Although Switzerland is not in the EU they are in the EEA area so they do have to accept the 4 principles of the EU and pay contributions although they have no say which makes no sense to me.

I did hear a story though quite recently about a rich Swiss town that opted to pay a fine in order NOT to accept refugees.

Lastly Ireland is a neutral country also and we also and I don't think being part of the EU has damaged us in that area. I have to hand it to the Swiss though I am very impressed that ordinary citizens take the protection of their country very seriously so if Switzerland was ever invaded the invaders would be kicked out toute suite:D

Maybe Osulle, can't see the big banks do anything that costs them money and London is far away from the rest off the country as could be.

Maybe I can't imagine the day when they leave London.

BoJo --> foreign secretary ..... they must be having a laugh :eek: :D :D

Quote from BBC news -- > Amber Rudd

During the campaign for Remain in the EU referendum, she (Amber Rudd) warned in a TV debate that she would not trust the new Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson to drive her home at the end of a night out.

And now they are colleagues in the cabinet...... how cozy that can get after their nights out or in :D :D

"Australia has called for a free trade deal with Britain following its exit from the European Union."

Who's next then?

"Australia has called for a free trade deal with Britain following its exit from the European Union."

Who's next then?

All of the doom and gloom scare tactics have proven to be a load of bollix. The £ against the Euro is back to what it was two years ago and will only improve. Canada has stated that they are very excited about impending deals worth Billions to the UK and America have backtracked on their scary bollix pledges prior to the referendum.
We will thrive and other Countries will follow us out. Viva democracy. French wine ---> :lolup:

All of the doom and gloom scare tactics have proven to be a load of bollix. The £ against the Euro is back to what it was two years ago and will only improve. Canada has stated that they are very excited about impending deals worth Billions to the UK and America have backtracked on their scary bollix pledges prior to the referendum.
We will thrive and other Countries will follow us out. Viva democracy. French wine ---> :lolup:

Nice off Australia and Canada to get the ball rolling.

Shame on USA who needs to be political and financial Allie not just Military.

We haven't needed them as a military Allie since 1945 and it's been the other way since.

They have an huge economy and that's it otherwise...

We haven't needed them as a military Allie since 1945 and it's been the other way since.

I was a bit confuddled a few days ago when the USA said France where their oldest and strongest ally when they repeatedly tell us when it suits them that we are.
How many other mistresses have the USA got? :eek:

just noticed your profile pic JD - aint that the truth - still on 20 too! i have to admit i have given up now to be honest.

Don't get ahead of yourself, nothing has been negotiated or signed yet.

And those 2 countries are part of your Commonwealth, hence the reaction is expected, nothing to be that excited about.

The US will do what they think is best for them, they rather sign the treaty first with the EU because that are 500Mio people before they will even start thinking about the UK.

But you are right on one thing, the UK has been the USA's bitch many times in the past decades.

I was a bit confuddled a few days ago when the USA said France where their oldest and strongest ally when they repeatedly tell us when it suits them that we are.
How many other mistresses have the USA got? :eek:

It was the independence war where George Washington probably had an Scouse accent.

It went something like this.

SPAIN - BANKRUPT.

FRANCE - BANKRUPT.

DUTCH EMPIRE COLLAPSED.

All British world Rivals gone and with a whole lot less competition we carved out an Empire, it's something we should be thanking USA for.

America says they are there oldest Allies but they don't teach the real reason in USA schools you would need a University Education for that.

It was the independence war where George Washington probably had an Scouse accent.

It went something like this.

SPAIN - BANKRUPT.

FRANCE - BANKRUPT.

DUTCH EMPIRE COLLAPSED.

All British world Rivals gone and with a whole lot less competition we carved out an Empire, it's something we should be thanking USA for.

America says they are there oldest Allies but they don't teach the real reason in USA schools you would need a University Education for that.

Or the internet and a motivation to learn about your own Countries history.

Don't you think that a lot of this pessimism is down to the fact that folk do not like change very much?

Or the internet and a motivation to learn about your own Countries history.

Don't you think that a lot of this pessimism is down to the fact that folk do not like change very much?

I think it's down to owners off business's and stocks and shares holders thinking entirely about there own cash and who wouldn't if they were in that position, it would be nice if they could just be honest about that.

They might not be in the position they are in now if it wasn't for democracy.

Game off cards on a bucket in a paddy field anyone?

I think it's down to owners off business's and stocks and shares holders thinking entirely about there own cash and who wouldn't if they were in that position, it would be nice if they could just be honest about that.

They might not be in the position they are in now if it wasn't for democracy.

Game off cards on a bucket in a paddy field anyone?

Very true. But then nothing stands still and most of it is supposed to be "progress" so did they get to where they where because of the EU or despite of it? :D

Whilst Brexit may be bad for current business models, it also represents an opportunity to try out new ones that do not benefit from the "one size fits all" model of the EU. Negotiating trade deals with the EU may have opened up a very big market of 500Million, but it was also incredibly slow going because you had to get 28 different countries to reach a consensus. Now, a trade deal that is negotiated between just two countries can be hammered out in a fraction of the time, and these countries can have bilateral deals up and running with the UK long before they have the bigger deals set up with the EU. With a population of 60Million, the UK represents more than a tenth of the entire EU market, so although the UK is only one of 28 EU states (for now), it has the clout of being one of nine in terms of population. Getting a trade deal with just over 10% of the EU quickly is an attractive prospect, and one that may even spur the other 27 states to stop arguing with each other over minor points and get a move on with a deal for the other 90%. The fear of course is that the rest of the EU risks being sidelined if the UK nets a few key bilateral trade deals whilst the EU countries are still squabbling over the fine print of the larger agreements.

:cool:
Perfect start for Mr. BoJo in his new job. :D :D

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

If this is a sign of whats to come in the future, then "Good Night Mini (Great) Britain" :yahoo: :yahoo:

Not sure if this post is serious or not to be honest.

Thankfully the fault was discovered and it didn't result in deaths.

Planes fail all of the time. It was probably manufactured in France or Germany :eek2: :cool:

:cool:

Not sure if this post is serious or not to be honest.

Thankfully the fault was discovered and it didn't result in deaths.

Planes fail all of the time. It was probably manufactured in France or Germany :eek2: :cool:

Of course it was meant to be lighthearted, why would i add so many smilies otherwise. :rolleyes:

FYI: the plane they used was a BAe146
The British Aerospace 146 (also BAe 146) is a short-haul airliner and a regional airliner that was manufactured in the United Kingdom by British Aerospace, later part of BAE Systems (Wikipedia)

Whilst Brexit may be bad for current business models, it also represents an opportunity to try out new ones that do not benefit from the "one size fits all" model of the EU. Negotiating trade deals with the EU may have opened up a very big market of 500Million, but it was also incredibly slow going because you had to get 28 different countries to reach a consensus. Now, a trade deal that is negotiated between just two countries can be hammered out in a fraction of the time, and these countries can have bilateral deals up and running with the UK long before they have the bigger deals set up with the EU. With a population of 60Million, the UK represents more than a tenth of the entire EU market, so although the UK is only one of 28 EU states (for now), it has the clout of being one of nine in terms of population. Getting a trade deal with just over 10% of the EU quickly is an attractive prospect, and one that may even spur the other 27 states to stop arguing with each other over minor points and get a move on with a deal for the other 90%. The fear of course is that the rest of the EU risks being sidelined if the UK nets a few key bilateral trade deals whilst the EU countries are still squabbling over the fine print of the larger agreements.

65 million is the population off the UK, the 5 million you left off to round the number up is bigger than 9 off the 27 EU countries.

65 million is the population off the UK, the 5 million you left off to round the number up is bigger than 9 off the 27 EU countries.

I bet it's not as rounded off as much as the convenient 500 Million given for the number of EU citizens. The figures are also aimed at business, so it's the number of citizens that can be marketed to that matters, rather than the absolute total.

We only have a census every 10 years, so current figures are estimates anyway. Even the census isn't fully accurate, despite the legal requirement to be counted.

I bet it's not as rounded off as much as the convenient 500 Million given for the number of EU citizens. The figures are also aimed at business, so it's the number of citizens that can be marketed to that matters, rather than the absolute total.

We only have a census every 10 years, so current figures are estimates anyway. Even the census isn't fully accurate, despite the legal requirement to be counted.

"requirement to be counted." :cheerleader:

Goes threw me and doesn't leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back