Stupid bankroll question from a total noob

DaveG39

Ok. So, having played RTG's new Hold 'Em table game I am more tempted than ever to try 'real' Hold 'Em. Not saying I will, but the temptation is strong. Been watching WSOP on ESPN for years. Anyways, I started looking on various poker forums on how much $ I should start with, ie bankroll, and came up with the following guidelines:

Buy-In for 100x Big Blind, Bankroll 20x Buy-In

To me Buy-In (deposit) and Bankroll are the same. Why bring enough for 20 sessions when you only play in 1??

Bankroll in this case usually means how much money a player with a positive EV needs to have to not go bust due to variance. If you haven't played before, you'll most likely be losing so just play with what you can afford to lose and start at the lowest betting limits.

I would suggest you start at the lowest blinds, one or two cents.
Bring the max amount you can lose to the table or the table max whichever is lower.

Like zap said you will most likely lose, at least at first.
Playing online for cash is not like watching TV or playing for free, even at the penny tables the competition can be real tough.

Hiya: Also you need to know that a lot of people playing poker on line, do not care. They will raise every chance they get with a 2/9 off suit. They will go all in on a whim. They will lose their bankroll, leave the table, and 2 minutes later are back again with a new bankroll. They have more money than you or i do, and they really don't mind if they lose it. This alone, makes it totally different than, "Normal" poker, where players value the chips they have.

love2winalot I would sure appreciate it if you would name the poker room where all these fish that don't mind losing and who have more money than me play at. ;)

My experience is that it is very very hard to build a bankroll at an online poker room, even at the penny tables.

Hiya: This was at Party Poker, at the .25/.50 tables. Maybe i was just unlucky, but like everything else, i tracked hands, and saw, "imhop", more of the, I dont care style of play, vs, just bad play.

I mean, when the flop is A-K-9, and you raised prior to the flop with 2/9, and three other players stayed in, Don't you assume that one of them, at the very least, just paired their A or K? I lost this hand with A-K suited, as the guy beat me with a full house of 9-9-2-2-2. and lost other hands whe players had 3/8, 0r 4/j, and so on.

I think it is one thing to play, "properly", and kind of hope others are, vs, playing properly and others just going all in and them praying the turn and river saves them. maybe i am just not very good......

Bankroll Management 101:

Tournament: Maximum buy in=2.5% of bankroll
(If BR=$100 then max tourny buy in is $2.50 including fee)

Ring games/cash tables: Maximum buy in is 5% of bankroll
(If BR=$100 then max ring game buy in is $5)
In addition, if the chips you have in play ever exceed 10% of your total bankroll, WALK IMMEDIATELY.

As your bankroll fluctuates, so will your buy-ins.

If you do well, your buy-ins will increase and if you have a bad run, you may have to step down a level, but at least you still have a bankroll.

This is THE BIBLE when it comes to managing your bankroll.

Only complete morons would make a deposit and then sit with their entire bankroll. They are why 'reload bonuses' were invented.

Hiya: This was at Party Poker, at the .25/.50 tables. Maybe i was just unlucky, but like everything else, i tracked hands, and saw, "imhop", more of the, I dont care style of play, vs, just bad play.

I mean, when the flop is A-K-9, and you raised prior to the flop with 2/9, and three other players stayed in, Don't you assume that one of them, at the very least, just paired their A or K? I lost this hand with A-K suited, as the guy beat me with a full house of 9-9-2-2-2. and lost other hands whe players had 3/8, 0r 4/j, and so on.

I think it is one thing to play, "properly", and kind of hope others are, vs, playing properly and others just going all in and them praying the turn and river saves them. maybe i am just not very good......

Same thing happens at PokerStars and FullTilt, at least in micro and low buy-in tourneys. Between the really good players and damn lucky donkeys its hard (for me) to win more than lose.

Bankroll

Learn slowly - play some freerolls and small tournaments. Get a feel of the game - it is a lot of fun.

Then play some small limit cash games. I would not worry about bankroll till you gain some money through freerolls or small tournaments, this will give you a better understanding of the game and whether you want to move forward on Bankroll management and working at poker ;)

Roanan is 100% correct
:notworthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back