Stopped Smoking - Week 1

Yes, it's a change of routine. Changing the 'routine' of regular smoking is key. It's just trying to trick your 'addictive' side of the brain into a different pattern of thought. I hope I am making sense.

After breakfast is the killer for me.
I have my breakfast as soon as I get up, the E cig overheats after that lol

2 weeks in now.

It seems a little easier than last week, but not much.

Got the smoking clinic later today and thinking of getting patches instead.
I didnt do well on them last time but if I try those and then get zero nicotine juice for the E fag, then see how I get on this coming week

Keep going mate, you're doing great!

I quit smoking on 25th May 2015 after about 20yrs (with a couple of "quit" breaks here and there, 9 months the longest until now). As of now I have saved £13,160 according to my app. That alone scares the shit out of me; I could've owned an Audi RS6 Avant by now :mad:
Even today almost 2 years later I could have a cigarette, but it's only a mild fancy rather than a mad craving. How you might fancy an ice cream or a beer; would like one but don't need them any more.

You've made it past 2 weeks, which I found was the toughest hurdle. Don't look back now, because even if you only have 1, you'll have to start again and fight this far again some day. It's not worth it.
As I always say to friends; quitting smoking is easy. I've done it loads of times :rolleyes:

I stopped smoking last October. Vaping saved me and helped me through the most difficult times. Still vape now but have gone from 12mg nicotine down to between 6 and 3 mg, with the ultimate goal of 0 mg nicotine and off vaping completely. Within 3 days of stopping cigs, my smoker's cough which had gotten quite bad, disappeared. Amazing!! I always had "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" book by Allan Carr on my bedside table, but never finished reading it. I have known of several die-hard smokers who got off cigs by his method and I am sure his method is a great resource and method for many.

In my case, it was a tv documentary I saw on vaping that made up my mind and stopped my procrastination. I bought a vape the day after I saw it and weened myself onto it and off smokes over a 1 week period. I know that I can't go back to smoking because the end result is seriously impaired health in our later years which can be avoided once we make the choice to get off that destructive path. Who wants to live our later years in such a compromised way? Life is too short and to have to have an oxygen tank accompany us 24/7 is just too tragic when there are alternatives. Ask anyone with serious emphysema who eventually did quit but it was too late. I have a dear friend in just that situation and it breaks my heart seeing him so disabled now.

In regards to vaping, there are a lot of different devices and if you seek out a dedicated specialty vape shop which is invested into helping people get off smokes (there are many!), I find them to be a wealth of knowledge and support. There are a ton of different vape models out there and you don't have to choke on them. During my first week or so being off smokes and onto vaping, I often stopped into my local vape shop asking them "when will I start feeling normal?" They were a great source of support and although it was a challenging first week or two, I did not have extreme withdrawals and I eventually did adjust after a few weeks. Yes, there are large groups of vaper people who are really into the whole making "big clouds" thing. But you don't have to go there. The only disclaimer is if you have a pre-existing heart condition or diabetes, it is not recommended. I do believe that the sugar content gets into your bloodstream (I have been googling this very thing and reading peoples concerns about this issue) but I believe it is by far the lesser of 2 evils and a great bridge/ stop gap method.

This is the documentary which convinced me it was the way to go:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
If that link doesn't work, do a search on YouTube for a doc called E-Cigarettes : Welcome Back, Big Tobacco - the fifth estate.

I previously thought buying organic cigs would be a good alternative until this doc helped me understand that although organic tobacco lacked many chemicals that regular cigarettes have, the toxicity of cigs really comes from the actual combustion of burning tobacco.

I wish you and everyone the best of health and well being as we release ourselves from the tobacco demon addiction we got duped into. I smoked for over 40 years and know this addiction well, but also believe if I can get off them, anyone can!!

I stopped smoking last October. Vaping saved me and helped me through the most difficult times. Still vape now but have gone from 12mg nicotine down to between 6 and 3 mg, with the ultimate goal of 0 mg nicotine and off vaping completely. Within 3 days of stopping cigs, my smoker's cough which had gotten quite bad, disappeared. Amazing!! I always had "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" book by Allan Carr on my bedside table, but never finished reading it. I have known of several die-hard smokers who got off cigs by his method and I am sure his method is a great resource and method for many.

In my case, it was a tv documentary I saw on vaping that made up my mind and stopped my procrastination. I bought a vape the day after I saw it and weened myself onto it and off smokes over a 1 week period. I know that I can't go back to smoking because the end result is seriously impaired health in our later years which can be avoided once we make the choice to get off that destructive path. Who wants to live our later years in such a compromised way? Life is too short and to have to have an oxygen tank accompany us 24/7 is just too tragic when there are alternatives. Ask anyone with serious emphysema who eventually did quit but it was too late. I have a dear friend in just that situation and it breaks my heart seeing him so disabled now.

In regards to vaping, there are a lot of different devices and if you seek out a dedicated specialty vape shop which is invested into helping people get off smokes (there are many!), I find them to be a wealth of knowledge and support. There are a ton of different vape models out there and you don't have to choke on them. During my first week or so being off smokes and onto vaping, I often stopped into my local vape shop asking them "when will I start feeling normal?" They were a great source of support and although it was a challenging first week or two, I did not have extreme withdrawals and I eventually did adjust after a few weeks. Yes, there are large groups of vaper people who are really into the whole making "big clouds" thing. But you don't have to go there. The only disclaimer is if you have a pre-existing heart condition or diabetes, it is not recommended. I do believe that the sugar content gets into your bloodstream (I have been googling this very thing and reading peoples concerns about this issue) but I believe it is by far the lesser of 2 evils and a great bridge/ stop gap method.

This is the documentary which convinced me it was the way to go:
If that link doesn't work, do a search on YouTube for a doc called E-Cigarettes : Welcome Back, Big Tobacco - the fifth estate.

I previously thought buying organic cigs would be a good alternative until this doc helped me understand that although organic tobacco lacked many chemicals that regular cigarettes have, the toxicity of cigs really comes from the actual combustion of burning tobacco.

I wish you and everyone the best of health and well being as we release ourselves from the tobacco demon addiction we got duped into. I smoked for over 40 years and know this addiction well, but also believe if I can get off them, anyone can!!

I went into a local vape shop on Saturday morning to have a nosey around as I'm not too keen on this Kangertech thing i have at the moment.
Its not good enough to substitute for the fags for me, and thats what I need at the moment, because I could kill for a cig right now.

Saturday night I went round to neighbours and they have one of these

Its about the same height as a lighter but a bit wider, so it can easily fit in your pocket, only a 1.8ml tank size though.
I had a go on it, and well, its bloody good, feels more like a cig effect.
Ordered a black one off Ebay yesterday, only £14.50.
Going to get one of those small portable USB keyring chargers so I can top the battery up when I am out.

Sorry to say I have had a blip and went back on the fags on Friday.
Not smoking as much as I used to though, not really enjoying it much either.

I will be trying again, but got to get next weekend out of the way as its 2 years since my wife passed away.

Shouldnt be an excuse but i have been getting down about it the past few days.

Going to the coast on Friday to take some flowers to put on the cliffs so hopefully can get my mind back again after that.

I will be trying again, but got to get next weekend out of the way as its 2 years since my wife passed away.

Going to the coast on Friday to take some flowers to put on the cliffs so hopefully can get my mind back again after that.

Rome wasn't built in a day matey, think positive you've made a start :thumbsup:

Wishing you all the best for Friday too!

So sorry Jd. Hang in there. Believe in life and her love, and that she would want you to have the quality of life that is a gift and yours to have. Keep her in your heart and do the right thing for you and what would be her wish for you.

I truly believe vaping saved my life. I don't want to spend my final years disabled and if given the choice, no one should.
p.s. Now at 5 months off smokes, have had about 10 cigarettes over that time (when a smoker comes to my place and I have one with them...but I go back to vaping when they leave and have never had the urge to go buy a pack of smokes afterwards) after vaping for a number of months, cigs really do become gross and I for one prefer my coffee flavoured vape, which I might mix with a "cinnamon roll" or chocolate or something like that. It really is a great alternative, lesser of the 2 evils, no combustion and associated toxic by-products which come from smoking! I started at 12 mg of nicotine, now down to 3mg. Ultimate goal, off any nicotine at all. Do it people! No more smoker's cough and improved breathing will be your immediate benefit, with greater long term rewards to come! I smoked for over 40 years and was a total addict and like other full-on addicts, never believed I could set myself free. I now have and I truly truly believe, you can too! If you commit to it for 2 to 3 weeks, I promise you, you will get there. Just don't cheap out on your vape. Visit a vape shoppe and get their advice on the best one to use!

Don't give up quitting. It's not about the cigs you smoked. It's about the cigs you didn't smoke.

Quit 10 months myself. It's hard.

Congrats :)

I enjoy smoking very much, especially with coffee and alcohol (how unusual), so I didn't try just cutting it off, but being currently in the process of switching to IQOS. Has anyone tried it?

Having just read about IQOS I will say it sounds quite intriguing. I love vaping of course, and it transcends smoking as a whole, but these things sounds quite interesting. Wouldn't mind delving further into it because despite everything, trying to get an actual good tobacco flavour is almost impossible :cool:

Im 4 weeks in and not smoking and its DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Moved to a smoke free apartment, and anger? I want to pound the crap out of someone :eek:

Thought cravings should be cleared by 4 weeks. Maybe helps to stay away from stressful situations such as bonanza.
Just pouring an cuppa here and gonna go enjoy it, innocently, under the moonlight.

Id say sitting idle on slots would make it worse... more time to think about it. I smoke sometimes 3x the normal amount when playin poker. Maybe try goin outside and get some of those fresh car fumes in ya.

Thought cravings should be cleared by 4 weeks. Maybe helps to stay away from stressful situations such as bonanza.
Just pouring an cuppa here and gonna go enjoy it, innocently, under the moonlight.

Id say sitting idle on slots would make it worse... more time to think about it. I smoke sometimes 3x the normal amount when playin poker. Maybe try goin outside and get some of those fresh car fumes in ya.
Im working, and I have been outside. Good thing about working from home is.........working from home. I am just doing the battles. And I smoked for 36 years, 4 weeks isnt cutting it.
Also I dont play Bonanza :)

I've tried - repeatedly. I wont go the patch or vape route - I'll go cold turkey when I do.
But a long running family illness that stopped me trying as I dont need the extra stess - when life situations cool down that theres less stress in it, I'll go again, but for now, I need one calming vice.
I wish you good luck - its a terrible habit lol (not judging, it just is)

I used to go through about 40 when I used to smoke and was having a slots session. Light one up when losing, when winning and when I got a bonus. Still find myself reaching for one the odd time when playing but my thinking is ‘the bonus will be over by the time I find the lighter’:laugh:

Thank god Bonanza wasn’t around when I was smoking - I’d have been stubbing them out on my eyeballs

I just read through this whole thread then got to the post saying to stop bumping old threads, I had no idea!

Anyway gave up after smoking for 21 years. 10 years earlier managed to give up for 18 months but was in the pub, a friend offered me a Benson and Hedges and I started again. A few years on from that I again managed to stop smoking for 2 years and started smoking again after that! I used to love smoking!

In the end I had to think of giving up smoking as getting something else for myself with that money as I just could not bear the thought of being deprived of smokes funnily enough.

Anyway its been 10.5 years since I had my last fag and I have a lot more money to spend on other things.
Best of luck to all who are giving up smoking and to those who are thinking about it. Do it! Best thing you will ever do.

I just read through this whole thread then got to the post saying to stop bumping old threads, I had no idea!

Anyway gave up after smoking for 21 years. 10 years earlier managed to give up for 18 months but was in the pub, a friend offered me a Benson and Hedges and I started again. A few years on from that I again managed to stop smoking for 2 years and started smoking again after that! I used to love smoking!

In the end I had to think of giving up smoking as getting something else for myself with that money as I just could not bear the thought of being deprived of smokes funnily enough.

Anyway its been 10.5 years since I had my last fag and I have a lot more money to spend on other things.
Best of luck to all who are giving up smoking and to those who are thinking about it. Do it! Best thing you will ever do.

Well done! giving up is a huge achievement, i haven't had one in a little over 9 years. I'll second that giving up is the best thing you'll ever do, every day i wake up feeling better

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back