Soraya Lowell, 38, won just under 1.2 million

BingoT

Nurses love to give shots
Soraya Lowell, 38, won just under 1.2 million
Cleaner To Split World's Biggest Bingo Win
Tuesday March 25, 2008

A cleaner has scooped what is thought to be the world's biggest ever bingo win - and is splitting the 1.2m prize with her neighbour.

Good neighbours: The happy pairSoraya Lowell, 38, from Hamilton in Lanarkshire won the National Bingo Game and its Platinum Jackpot on Sunday night, netting 1,167,795.

The mother-of-four has decided to give half of her winnings to Agnes O'Neill, 68, her neighbour and bingo companion who was with her when she hit the jackpot.

Mrs Lowell said: "We always share whatever either of us wins and this time will be no different."

Mrs O' Neill added: "I have had a rough time the last three years - I have been very ill and Soraya has cared for me which meant my husband did not have to retire early.

"She has been wonderful to me. What she has done for me is absolutely something else."

The win beats that of Christine Bradfield from Merthyr Tydfil in Wales, who scooped 1.1m in January.

And National Bingo Game bosses believe it could be the biggest in the world.

The Club 3000 bingo hall in the town of Coatbridge erupted when Mrs Lowell called house on the last number, 90.

Players jumped up and down cheering and shouting and the party continued through the night, as Mrs Lowell celebrated at her home with family and neighbours until 6am.

Despite her win, Mrs Lowell has vowed to return to work.

She said: "It just won't sink in yet. I haven't slept at all, but I will be back at work as usual. I clean offices until 1.30am and I don't intend to give up my job."

Mrs Lowell said her husband Frankie did not believe her when she telephoned him to break the news of her win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Meister Ratings

Back